Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MOD confirm they are issuing "Returned" WW1 Medals

tullybrone

Great my great great uncles were returned.

Hi,

The nearest surviving next of kin is the entitled person. Please keep us posted if you pursue an application.

Good Luck.

Steve Y

Steve eldest person is my father so will write on his behalf. And get him to sign the paperwork

• 2 weeks later...

I am delighted to inform members that my Brother in Law has at last received his Uncle’s WW1 medals from the MOD. For those unfamiliar with this thread an image of the MIC stating the medals had been returned is at post #27.

With much discussion on the topic that the MOD had stopped issuing/reissuing WW1 medals in the 1990s, I feel it is important to explain how this has been achieved as it may benefit others on the forum, in particular James Harvey in the previous post. Firstly I must stress it is only possible to apply for medals that have been “returned” to the MOD for whatever reason. They are re-issuing medals not from old stock, not from replicas but from having new ones struck as the Regulation states “if not claimed after ten years they will be returned to Woolwich to be broken up”.

I downloaded information on how to apply for a medal from the MOD as well as the application form and sent them to my Brother in Law in Canada.

https://www.gov.uk/the-ministry-of-defence-medal-office

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/347472/MODMO_0001_Medal_Application_Form_clean.doc

He was a bit confused as the following statement is at the beginning of the application: “Please note: Medals awarded prior to the Second World War can no longer be issued”. Disregarding the statement I completed the application form and sent it to him for his signature together with his Uncle’s MIC. He is the official next of kin still alive so I ticked the box “Nephew of the Whole Blood”. As he lives in Canada I also included his email address in the event they needed to contact him. It was not long after he posted the application he received an acknowledgement by email and shortly after another email: “Apologies, I have just noticed that we do not have a copy of your uncle's death certificate. If you could please forward a copy of this and, upon receipt I will be able to action accordingly.” Again my Brother in Law was confused and forwarded the email on to me. I drafted him a reply saying their application form stated “this is not required if they died in service” and the MIC confirms his Uncle’s date of death. The MOD replied saying “having liaised with my colleagues you are indeed correct, no death certificate is required if they were killed in action.”

In March another email came from the MOD saying “I am going to need to order these medals from our suppliers as the MOD Medals Office does not hold WW1 medals. These medals will be dispatched to you within the next 2-3 months.” We waited with baited breath until my Brother in Law received them this week. He is so pleased even though they are not originals, but as near as, and unconcerned the engraving is Pte. W Greer 12847, his rank being reduced from Cpl. - most likely the reason his Grandmother returned her Son’s medals after the Great War.

I want to thank all those for their advice/input on this thread, particularly Steve for originating it, and hope other members might have the same success as my Brother in Law and myself.

Anne

post-77422-0-07198800-1432911181_thumb.jpost-77422-0-45714300-1432911182_thumb.jpost-77422-0-86819400-1432911183_thumb.j

I dont want to be picky (and maybe its a photo artifact) but I do not think they have any where near the detail of the original issue, infact they rather look like the copy medals being made by certain "mints". Is the BWM silver and two peice?

I dont want to be picky (and maybe its a photo artifact) but I do not think they have any where near the detail of the original issue, infact they rather look like the copy medals being made by certain "mints". Is the BWM silver and two peice?

Yes, these medals were ordered by the MOD from their current suppliers, whoever they may be. The BWM is silver and the VM bronze but because they are so new and shiny gave reflections of my Brother in Law's rather shaky hands (he is in his 80's) when he took the photos.

Anne

Well done Anneca. You've done what most, including me, thought was impossible. Are they impressed on the edge?

[Edit]

Sorry I see your post confirms they are. Any chance of a photo?

Dave

They could well be produced by someone like the Worcester Medal Service or their linked business Gladman and Norman who were amongst the businesses that produced the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal.

What is of more interest to me is how these medals are named?

Anneca

you say they are engraved which was a naming style never used on WW1 medals, or do they have impressed naming (like the original issues) or laser etched naming (like the current issued medals). Is there any chance of arranging for a photo/scan of the naming style??

Sepoy

Dave, in difficult situations I usually attempt to make the 'impossible' possible and occasionally, very occasionally, it works so I was lucky this time. I have asked my Brother in Law to take photos of the edges.

Sepoy, "engraved" is the word by Brother in Law has used but I know he is not familiar with naming styles. When he sends better photos/scans they should let us know.

Anne

Hi Anne,

Thanks very much for posting the images.

Pleased to see that the process worked.

Regards

Steve

• Admin

Yes well done Anne, as for the purists puts me in mind of those classic car owners at Goodwood sneering at the million pound hand built Jaguar shown on TV recently.

Ken

Anne,

Apologies if I missed it in the earlier posts but did MOD also reissue the 1914/15 Star?

Steve

Anne,

Apologies if I missed it in the earlier posts but did MOD also reissue the 1914/15 Star?

Steve

Hi Steve, no you didn't miss this as my Brother in Law has the original Star which was handed down to him by his Mother many years ago. This is why he is so pleased to have the reissued Victory and BW Medals to complete the set.

Anne

Any chance of a photo?

Dave

Is there any chance of arranging for a photo/scan of the naming style??

Sepoy

I know these are not the clearest images but suspect they might be impressed?

Anne

post-77422-0-59601700-1433517818_thumb.jpost-77422-0-22091500-1433517820_thumb.jpost-77422-0-58281300-1433517821_thumb.jpost-77422-0-18925000-1433517823_thumb.j

I know these are not the clearest images but suspect they might be impressed?

Anne

attachicon.gifIMG_0221.jpegattachicon.gifIMG_0224.jpegattachicon.gifIMG_0226.jpegattachicon.gifIMG_0228.jpeg

Anneca

Thank you so much for posting these photos.

They certainly look impressed, but with the photo being slightly blurred, they could be laser etched. Either way, the naming is very well spaced especially when compared with contemporary naming.

Sepoy

They looked impressed to me too. The way the letters are slightly out of alignment, which you sometimes see on the contemporary issues. All the laser etched ones I have seen are dead straight. The lettering also looks like the same "font" as contemporary issues, the modern laser versions I have seen seem to have the service numbers more "squashed up".

Yep. Definitely "Kosher" to my eye. Whether laser etched or impressed, attention to detail is very much in the spirit of the original issue.

You should be very proud of what you've done Anneca.

Dave

Aww folks I really appreciate your opinion on this. Sorry the images aren't the best but I think my Brother in Law hasn't done such a bad job with them considering his age. He really is over the moon with his Uncle's replacement medals and so am I.

Many thanks,

Anne

Just to confirm to those members who have already said the medals look like they are impressed, the response by email from the MOD Medals Office is as follows:

Thank you for your email and I am so pleased that you received the First World War Medals. It is lovely to hear that your family are thrilled at receiving them as, I appreciate that they mean so much.

In respect of your question about how the wording was applied to the rim of the medals, I can confirm that it is impressed.

Best wishes.

DBS MODMO Honours & Awards E1a

Anne

So then Anne,

To sum this up, you, your brother in law, Ken, Steve, Sepoy, Dave, myself AND even the medals themselves, are all "officially impressed".

Sorry, but that was just too good an opportunity to miss. :-)

Regards,

Mike

It is not very often I find someone with such an 'impressive' sense of humour Mike. :rolleyes:

Anne

This is fantastic news. I have family in Australia who wish to claim 'returned' medals. The daughter of the recipient being still alive as NOK.

Thank you Anne for keeping us all up to date with your progress.

I have emailed a copy of your post to them so that they can attempt to emulate your success.

This is fantastic news. I have family in Australia who wish to claim 'returned' medals. The daughter of the recipient being still alive as NOK.

Thank you Anne for keeping us all up to date with your progress.

I have emailed a copy of your post to them so that they can attempt to emulate your success.

I do wish your family every success with their application to the MOD for copies of the returned medals. Looking back it seemed quite an impossible attempt, but completing the application form was a simple process leading to a great result. It would be great to know if your family eventually have the same outcome.

Anne

Hi Anne

Well done - great to hear that your brother-in-law has received the medals.

I've been following this thread with great interest since I came across it in April - just as I was about to purchase replica medals!! My grandfather was killed in action at Gallipoli in 1915 and his medal card shows that his medals were returned. Everything I'd read until then told me that WW1 medals were never reissued.

After seeing your post, I contacted the MOD Medals Office in early April and they have agreed to reissue his medals. I had to send his medal card to them and complete an application form to show I was next of kin. I wasn't asked for any proof of death. I've heard nothing from then since receiving a confirmation email in mid-April which stated "I am now able to proceed further and will be in contact again shortly."

I emailed 2 weeks ago asking if they could give me an update on progress but have heard nothing. I suspect they're very busy but an update and estimated date would be welcome. I probably shouldn't be unduly worried as, from your experience, it does take several months. It'll be 100 years since his death on 12 July so it would be really good to have them by then - but I'm not holding my breath.

Regards

Malcolm

Malcolm, yes it does take the MOD Medals Office some time to get back but they seem to find replying by email rather than post a lot easier. I take it your reply was from a Mrs West who was most helpful in my case. I would imagine that after they confirm their intention of ordering from their suppliers it will take another couple of months for you to actually receive your Grandfather's returned medals so hope of getting them in July is slight I'm afraid. Good luck with this however and hope you will keep us informed.

Anne

Anne, thanks for your response. I think you're right about email use. So far all my communication with them (and their replies) have been by email, including sending the medal card & application form by email. It was Mrs.West who has replied each time and she has been very helpful. It's just the lack of any update for 2 months that makes me impatient and I have no real idea whether I'll get them in 2 weeks or 2 months or 6 months. If I haven't heard anything next week, I'll try to ring them.

I'll post an update when I have some news.

Regards .... Malcolm