Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Colours

Guest tintin

Guest tintin

Can anyone help?

After the Great War it was approved for all war raised battalions (ie New Army and 2nd line Territorials) to be issued with Kings Colours at public expense

I have a number of questions I'm afraid...

Presumably those battalions which ceased to exist in the change to the 9 battalion division received no colours.

I have heard that Yeomanry Regiments which served as battalions of infantry regiments when dismounted received Kings Colours.

Rifle Battalions of non-Rifle Regiments (eg 2/5 and 2/6 Kings Liverpool) would not have received colours, but what about non-rifle battalions of Rifle Regiments (ie the Belfast battalions of the RUR). I know they received Regimental colours at private expense.

This leads me on to the last questions

1) does any one know what Regimental colours were presented at private expense, particularly non-standard designs (I know the Glasgow Commercials and Glasgow BB battalions of the HLI were presented with St Andrews Cross Regimental colours with the seals of their sponsor bodies as central badge as opposed to HLI colours)

2) was a list of authorised recipients of Kings Colours published to accompany the order