Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Shoulder to Shoulder" Glasgow Highlanders

barkalotloudly

Whilst sorting out some books I came across the above unit history with some accompanying paperwork { I note it was the subject of some discussion about 10 years ago on this forum]

This was sent to me by Mr A Aiken ["courage past" fame}nearly 350 pages plus maps and photographs for a small deposit I was able to make a photocopy {very early one sunday morning at work!}

In his letter he says that despite contacting innumerable publishers nobody showed any interest in the book.

I do not know if this gentleman is still alive {this was all about 20 years ago}a search on the net would indicate that nobody ever published it which is a great shame, as it is a labour of love that deserves wider recognition

Just yesterday I only just missed out on acquiring a copy of his 1971 book!

Yep another good one he produced {always look for the map in the back}

• 1 month later...

Hi - Hope this helps

Sadly Alex Aiken passed away a few years ago - Alex's Book "Courage Past - A Duty Done" is an excellent book on the Glasgow Highlanders action during the assault on High Wood in July 1916 - Alex's uncle James Harrington Aitken was wounded during this battle and he was the inspiration for Alex to do the book - Alex's also was the man behind the construction of the cairn in memory to the 192 Glasgow Highlanders who died attempting to take the wood that July. The cairn is located at the edge of High Wood.

I am at present the chairman of the Glasgow Highlanders Association and have a great interest on the regimental history of the Glasgow Highlanders and if anyone has any information concerning the regiment I would be grateful to hear from them.- as I do the association newsletter

Shoulder to Shoulder is mentioned in this thread and I am fortunate to have a copy of Alex's original including maps and photos - There is a version of it on the Royal Highland Fusilier web site - Books on line at the following link.

http://rhf.org.uk/rhf/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98&Itemid=113

The original was done by Col A.K. Reid CB CBE DSO MC TD DL and Alex's edited it - The copy on the link does not have the photos or maps but the story is there so as I said hope it helps

Raymond Bell

Superb and detailed information Raymond, shall spend a good few hours going through this. Well done for all the efforts of all concerned.

Thanks. Mike

Glad to be of help - There are many good publications on the RHF site including the war diaries of the Glasgow Highlanders and many of the HLI battalions

Raymond Bell