Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Arthur Byford, corporal S4/072205, Army Service Corps.

midshipmanrayley

George Arthur Byford, 1880-1917, was a resident of Great Yarmouth and a baker by trade.

He served with the 12th Field Bakery, Army Service Corps, in German East Africa and died of enteric fever at Base Hospital, Dar Es Salaam, on 23rd February 1917.

(He was the brother-in-law of Hedley Valentine Simnett, Coldstream Guards, who also has a forum topic).

His medal index card is available but not found George's papers yet. He is on the CWGC website as G.A.Byford.

Can any member help me discover his date of attestation and earlier service? Any guidance and advice always welcome.

According to SDGW, born Gt. Yarmouth, enlisted same location, A/Cpl, died East Africa 23/2/17. No date of enlistment is given. Hope this helps a bit.

All the best,

Gary

Many thanks Gary.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably sailed from Devonport aboard the HMT Huntsgreen on 8th February 1916. It had a company of ASC bakers aboard.

Roop

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks Roop. Buried in Dar Es Salaam and have friend currently there. Hoping he can visit the gravesite.

Thanks again Roop, will check it out.

• 6 years later...

Have just found this topic, George Arthur Byford 1880-1917

S4/072205 12th Field Bakery, Army Service Corps from Great Yarmouth. George A Byford was My Nan's Father, My Great Grandfather. 

The op is still on forum.  Id suggest you send a message to them

There is a tech gizmo for allerting the OP @midshipmanrayley

With regards to GA Byford S4/072205 , I was hoping to find a photo of his grave site 2E2 Dar Es Salaam War cemetery. I have searched on line but can find no photos, Has anyone on this forum visited Dar Es Salaam & taken photos of War graves including 2E2 GA Byford or can someone give me some information regarding this. 

I first found George whilst researching my Yarmouth roots, Tiptod and Skoyles. I have a friend who lives in Dar es Salaam and will request a photo (security permitting). 

I will message further when I hear back.

5 hours ago, midshipmanrayley said:

I first found George whilst researching my Yarmouth roots, Tiptod and Skoyles. I have a friend who lives in Dar es Salaam and will request a photo (security permitting). 

My Nan's mum was Sarah Byford (Tiptod) from Great Yarmouth.

George is listed on the war memorial in St. George's Park in Great Yarmouth. That would be great to get a photo of the grave site if possible. Thank you

On 18/08/2014 at 09:14, midshipmanrayley said:

George Arthur Byford, 1880-1917, was a resident of Great Yarmouth and a baker by trade.

He served with the 12th Field Bakery, Army Service Corps, in German East Africa and died of enteric fever at Base Hospital, Dar Es Salaam, on 23rd February 1917.

(He was the brother-in-law of Hedley Valentine Simnett, Coldstream Guards, who also has a forum topic).

His medal index card is available but not found George's papers yet. He is on the CWGC website as G.A.Byford.

Can any member help me discover his date of attestation and earlier service? Any guidance and advice always welcome.

Hedley valentine Simnett was father of Hedley Arthur Simnett. Hedley Arthur Simnett married Maud Elizabeth Byford, George Arthur Byfords Daughter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Midshippers

Greetings

Not a good photo because everything depends on the angle of the sun, but you may be able to improve it.

Harry

376418468_Stuart2rrByford.JPG.356266776ad83935bfc1218060254e8b.JPG