Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Belgian History Book

burlington

The Sunday Times today in the UK was getting steamed up about a history book emanating from the Belgian Information Office at the EU, and aimed at school children, which is said to ignore WW1 & WW2 in general and the UK & Commonwealth's role in both. It also appears to have offended both Hungary & Turkey!

Any Belgian Pal know anything about this?

Have a look at the official federal portal www.belgium.be where you can find a survey of modern Belgian history at :

http://www.belgium.be/eportal/application?...Page&navId=2469

For your convenience, this is the (complete) text about WWI :

"Although the great powers forced Belgium to remain neutral when it became independent, it couldn't escape World War I. The Belgian army under the command of King Albert I (1909-1934) was too small a match for the Germans, it nevertheless could managed to halt the ennemy at the river Yser. Belgium suffered greatly during the war. The Yser region was laid waste."

See? There were no Allied troops involved at all.

Jul

Maybe it was better like that. Great Briitain and France needed help in WW1 so Belgium decided to help them fighting against the Germans... ;)

Or is that to much American style???

That last comment was totally unmerited.......and I certainly haven't read of any legitimate gripes regarding what the U.S. Infantry, not their leaders, did in France, Belgium (Bastogne?), Holland and Germany in WWII.

DrB

:(

The Sunday Times today in the UK was getting steamed up about a history book emanating from the Belgian Information Office at the EU, and aimed at school children, which is said to ignore WW1 & WW2 in general and the UK & Commonwealth's role in both. It also appears to have offended both Hungary & Turkey!

Any Belgian Pal know anything about this?

There was an article on this in the Belgian (Flemish) newspaper "De Morgen".

The Belgian Information Office withdrew the publication already some time ago.

Apparently, The Sunday Times got its hands on one of the few remaining booklets.

I read this article in the Sunday Times, and in yesterdays Daily Mail as well. Always being carefull about what is sprouted in the media, the smallmindedness of these few individuals cannot surely reflect on the views of most Belgians. Especially our Belgian collegues that we find on this forum and other historical forums. Today whilst visiting the museum of the Queens Own Hussars in Warwick I came across a little saying framed on the wall of the museum. I found it quite apt.

"A country who forgets its past, has no future."

Regards

Iain

All this goes to show that you cannot believe anything you read in the press!

The Times they are a-changing ?

G'day Aurel

Wish I'd said that. [Apologies O Wilde]

Aurel History is not worth the PAPER it's written on.

Or was it Oral Contract? Wher's Sam gone?

ooRoo

Pat

Most amusing.

I read that an ST reporter who went to the EU bookshop in Brussels to buy a copy before they were withdrawn witnessed the pages relating to Hungary - for the section if supposedly contentious to say the least - being torn out by the shop assistant before they were allowed to take it home with them.

Both typical examples of the nature of any large political/cultural organisations funded by taxpayers' money: they produce a book that plainly massages history in an attempt to suit the egos of all nations involved without offending any and still manages to foul up through basice errors and ommissions; and then the book can still be sold, but only if censored by the shop assistant in such a crude manner.

Richard