Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rare Medal?

SMG65

I have a Victory Medal for a Private 82385 Levon Akaghaian, Durham Light Infantry.

I've been trying to research him but to no avail.

I have discovered that he is the only soldier serving in the British Army with that surname.

Can anybody tell how much the medal is worth, I'm not a collector or expert and don't intend to sell it.

Sean

Don't seem to be any records for him on Ancestry.

Have you found a MIC for him?

There is an MIC at TNA.

DLI 82385

Middlesex Rgt. G/44818

BWM & Vict seems to be indicated to DLI roll E/1/102b26 page 4276 but that ref points to Middlesex Regt. = TNA WO329/1503

No other information

TEW

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=IMG_CITIZENSHIP&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsln=Heikkien&uidh=000&so=2

not got access so cant look anymore and never even seen this category before

All UK, Naturalisation Certificates and Declarations, 1870-1912

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=IMG_CITIZENSHIP&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsln=Heikkien&uidh=000&so=2

not got access so cant look anymore and never even seen this category before

All UK, Naturalisation Certificates and Declarations, 1870-1912

Seems to be a search for someone called 'Heikkien' in that series. Changing the name to Levon Akaghaian produces a 1911 Certificate of Naturalisation to Levon aged 12 and his Turkish father (subject of Persia) and two sisters. Resident in Stockport.

TEW

MIC on Ancestry: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-g&gsln=Akaghaian&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=l81&cp=11&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=10818199&recoff=10&db=MedalRolls&indiv=1&ml_rpos=38

And the record that Coldstreamer and TEW are talking about: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&gss=angs-g&gsfn=Levon&gsln=Akaghaian&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=l81&cp=11&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=60406&recoff=3+4&db=UKNatCertDec&indiv=1&ml_rpos=4

There's a few more things on there as well...

1899 birth at Chorlton: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&gss=angs-g&gsfn=Levon&gsln=Akaghaian&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=l81&cp=11&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=43024140&recoff=7+8&db=FreeBMDBirth&indiv=1&ml_rpos=3

1901 Census: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&gss=angs-g&gsfn=Levon&gsln=Akaghaian&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=l81&cp=11&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=23056667&db=uki1901&indiv=1&ml_rpos=6

Living at 63 Brailsford Road, Rusholme; head of household is Ohannes A Akaghaian, age 32, a Turkish Armenian working as a clerk in shipping office; his wife is Kate A Akaghaian, age 24, born in Manchester; their children are Levon (son), age 2, and Yabel (daughter), age 1, both born in Manchester; also living with his sister and neice from Bulgaria

1921 marriage to Margaret M Barnes at Chorlton: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&gss=angs-g&gsfn=Levon&gsln=Akaghaian&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=l81&cp=11&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=67093883&db=ONSmarriage1984&indiv=1&ml_rpos=2

1965 marriage to Vera Darlington at Hampstead: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&gss=angs-g&gsfn=Levon&gsln=Akaghaian&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=l81&cp=11&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=36756097&db=ONSmarriage1984&indiv=1&ml_rpos=1

Edited by PaulC78

Because the medal is "Unique" I would suggest that it would be worth more, particularly to DLI Collectors or people who are interested in the Durham area not to mention those who collect unusual or unique medals.

Because the medal is "Unique" I would suggest that it would be worth more, particularly to DLI Collectors or people who are interested in the Durham area not to mention those who collect unusual or unique medals.

All medals are unique !! Each is listed with the individuals service number, rank, name and unit. This name is unusual and, therefore, easier to research but with service records available and census records even the humble name of Smith can be interesting if researched properly. Medals to the D.L.I. are common. What changes the price of the medal is the unit named on it ie if small and limited in medals awarded. Just a guide but :- R.A., R.A.M.C., R.E. and the like £15. Common line regiments :- D.L.I., Somerset R., (in fact most units that have the county name in it) say up to £20. Smaller line regiments and Horse Guard (and other Cavalry or Guards) £20 -£35. Officers £50. This is just a guide and no doubt I will be shot down. If the medal is to someone interesting, someone who took part in a particular action, first day of the Somme or a particularly scarce unit, more senior officer, etc., then the sky's the limit.

Yes Jim I agree, all named/numbered medals are indeed "unique" but the ones with only that one name out of the 5/6 million issued I would advance are really unique................ :wacko:

I have listed the medal on e-bay.

I don't collect medals, books are my forte, and if someone who does would like it then it's there for them.

It will only collect dust in my house.

I've listed it at £4.99 so someone could get it for that.

Thanks for all your help.

Sean

Quote "I don't intend to sell it"

TT

I have listed the medal on e-bay.

I don't collect medals, books are my forte, and if someone who does would like it then it's there for them.

It will only collect dust in my house.

I've listed it at £4.99 so someone could get it for that.

Thanks for all your help.

Sean

Have you got a link to the listing?

Quote "I don't intend to sell it"

TT

Will it be worth more with all the info given freely by members?

The same poster wanted info on a SMLE . He was replied to but never came back even with a thank you.

Sold for £28.76 Here

Thank you. I was interested rather than wanted to bid, which is good really as it has ended, but the main info I wanted was what it sold for, so sorted.

What's the big deal? SMG has been around since the early days. If he changed his mind then good luck to him.

Rgds

Tim D

No big deal just an observation. As you say good luck to him.

Rgds

TT

Blackblue - Thank You for your comment.

TrenchTrotter - I sold it because I don't collect medals. I didn't have to tell you I was selling it. I did because I am transparent. If you noticed I never mentioned any of the information in this post on the e-bay post.

As you will see if you look at e-bay I'm offloading items I have collected over the years because they deserve to be in the hands of people who do collect them.

I collect books.

The money is going on my next trip to the Western Front, I go every year alone, walk for 6 days and pay my respects to those who served.

i collect all poppies from work colleagues after 11 November and place them on my next trip on the graves on Unknown Soldiers.

I have/had three medals and decided on the 17th to list them on e-bay, it was a hard decision but the right one. I don't collect medals.

Johnboy - I take great exception to your comment. The SMLE was for a friend who has one and knows nothing about it. I apologise for not replying to that earlier post. If you look at all my posts you will see I tend to reply to them.

For your information Johnboy and TrenchTrotter I am Chairman of the Cleveland Branch of the WFA, my full name is Sean Godfrey.

A lot of people will tell you that I research soldiers and NEVER take a penny for doing it.

I charge expenses and end up out of pocket, thats my choice, the research and making a soldiers life become known is what counts.

For Example, Earlier this year I found a photo and article of a soldier killed in 1915 and gave them to his grandson who had never seen a photo of his grandfather. It took me 4 hours to find the information, I charged nothing. How much would a researcher charge?

I travel all over the country to give talks and only charge petrol, never meals.

I'm in Burnley in 3 weeks and Manchester in November, the Chairman there will tell you that I charge nothing but petrol, I drive back home, get there in the early hours and go to work the next day. I could book an overnight stay but that costs the branches so I don't.

I am not retired or rich with too much time on my hands. I work full time and have two (6 & 8) children.

If you require further evidence of the fact that I give willingly to the memory of the soldiers in the Great War and take nothing, ask Chris Baker, Peter Barton, Clive Harris, Peter Hart, Bryn Hammond, Jeremy Banning, Ian McHenry and John Bourne. There are others but I'm sure you will know one of them to ask.

Sean

Johnboy - I take great exception to your comment. The SMLE was for a friend who has one and knows nothing about it. I apologise for not replying to that earlier post. If you look at all my posts you will see I tend to reply to them

Sorry if you take great exception to my remark but someone took the time to post some help including pictures and some 5 mnths later you still had not replied to him. Your reply above says that you 'tend' to reply to them. That is different to always reply.

My comment was truthful and you have apologised so I don't really see why you take exception to my comment.

It was the first line of your post that I took exception to.

I know AND YOU KNOW what you were insinuating.

I notice I put on a post about the Army Service Corps in 2008, it then went off on a tangent, (thats what is great about this site, you learn so much when the posts go off track) but I still replied in June 2014, I notice you had an input on that post.

You will notice that my reply was unecessary and by then not relevant, but I still replied.

In fact I think you will find that I reply to all posts unless they have gone off on such a tangent that the post is no longer mine,

You pick on words, 'tend', maybe I should have said the term 'always when relevant'.

Sean

Sean

Like I said good luck to you. It was just an observation. I am not judging at all. Apols if any offence caused.

TT