Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Statistics of the military effort of the British Empire during the Gre

MaureenE

Statistics of the military effort of the British Empire during the Great War, 1914-1920 published by HMSO 1922 Archive.org

https://archive.org/details/statisticsofmili00grea

I mentioned this book on another thread, but it has such a range of interesting information, I am posting it again here in the Virtual Library. There are 880 pages.

I have noticed pages on the formation of the Machine-Gun Corps and the Tank Corps, details of Inland Water Transport in Mesopotamia (but not names of ships). details of despatches in the London Gazette etc etc

Cheers

Maureen

Maureene, this is a top find; thank you. I've got a vague project in my head to graph the growth of the BEF and compare it with the other combatants and this looks like a good place to start.

Pete.

It's been posted before a couple of times Click but none the worse for another airing? Fantastic resource.

Mike

How spooky is that; I was just wondering if Mike had spotted this. I should have known the Aberfeldy ace would be on the case.

Pete.

There was a companion New Zealand one done too, very rare, finding that online would be good. No other Empire, Commonwealth or Dominion produced one unfortunately, unless I am wrong.

Aberfeldy ace ass (some might say?)

Pete.

I have posted so many archive.org books, at one point, I was posting books I had already posted. Now, before posting a title. I go to "Advanced Search" and, for example, if looking to see if "Statistics of the military effort of the British empire" had been posted before, I would input "statistics" into the "Find Words" box, then, sometimes, input "skipman" into 'Find Author' and run it to see if it was there. I sometime also select 'Only Search in Titles'

Cheers Mike

Mike, I am doubly in Maureene's debt because your post predates my joining this august company (August 18th last year to be completely accurate). I usually read all of yours. I'd miss so much if it wasn't for such seredipitous posts and older threads reappearing.

Pete.

P.S. I'm firmly in the ace camp.

You're way too kind Pete.

Ace is what you get if you input, into the 'Find Author' box, the name of Ron Clifton, Jack Sheldon, Chris Baker, Grumpy, Sue Light, salesie, Peter Hart, GAC, or the many other learned pals of this Forum, and just click. These are some of the Forum-ites who's input is always reliable. There are many more. I have to be honest, and say, a fair percentage of my posts are drivel, and inaccurate, but, I hope, getting more accurate, and less drivel-ish by the day?

Mike

• 3 years later...

I found this thread yesterday and it feels like all of my Christmas's have come at once!  I'd been searching in vain for 3 weeks to find a specific piece of information, only to find it in the Statistics of the military effort of the British Empire during the Great War, 1914-1920.

It's an INCREDIBLE tome giving the fullest picture of the Great War in all it's multitude of facets.   I'M SO GRATEFUL YOU POSTED THIS FOR ME TO FIND!!! :D

As it's 900+ pages, it's going to take me quite a while to wade through and get all of the information i need.  Also its 1 drawback is that i can't copy the text / data into excel, as the copy paste function doesn't work very well (due to print quality).  So it will have to be longhand typing out the numbers from selected pages.  I think this is going to be a major labour of love.

6 minutes ago, r.m.willis said:

I found this thread yesterday and it feels like all of my Christmas's have come at once!  I'd been searching in vain for 3 weeks to find a specific piece of information, only to find it in the Statistics of the military effort of the British Empire during the Great War, 1914-1920.

It's an INCREDIBLE tome giving the fullest picture of the Great War in all it's multitude of facets.   I'M SO GRATEFUL YOU POSTED THIS FOR ME TO FIND!!! :D

As it's 900+ pages, it's going to take me quite a while to wade through and get all of the information i need.  Also its 1 drawback is that i can't copy the text / data into excel, as the copy paste function doesn't work very well (due to print quality).  So it will have to be longhand typing out the numbers from selected pages.  I think this is going to be a major labour of love.

I would not always accept everything it has in blind faith, if you can make sure the information tallies with other sources. Some of the data can clash with that from other official sources.

Craig

I think I must be going mad - I can't get March 1915 and Nov 1915 to add up to the total stated.  Please would someone fact check them for me.

image.png.ac322e740fb5212e889d552c3525e07b.png