Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6 Hampshire Regiment

rclarke

My great-uncle served with 6 Hampshire Regiment from September 1914 to September 1917 when he was discharged on medical grounds.

I was hoping to read the war diaries for his service time but the NA listing only covers from September 1917. Is there any reason there is no listing for prior to autumn 1917 or am I missing something obvious?

Many thanks.

Rosemary

Rosemary,

Prior to September 1917, 1/6 Battalion served in India. Not being a Theatre of War, there would have been no obligation to keep a diary.

From the Long Long Trail

1/6th (Duke of Connaught's Own) Battalion
August 1914 : in Portsmouth. Bn was Army Troops attached to Wessex Division, later attached to Devon and Cornwall Brigade.
9 October 1914 : sailed for India, landing Karachi 11 November 1914. 16 September 1917 : landed at Basra and remained in Mesopotamia for the rest of the war, attached to 52nd Brigade, 17th Indian Division.

Presumably he didn't make it to Mesopotamia and was just awarded the British War Medal - or was he invalided out after arrival there?

Phil

Many thanks for the clarification and information, Phil.

I can see the logic but rather annoying tho.

I had believed he had been invalided post-Mesopotamia arrival buI will take another look at the documents I do have. It seems more likely he parted company when they relocated.

Thanks again.

Rosemary, my grandfather also joined the 6th Hampshires, in August 1914, and remained with them until September 1916 when he was commissioned into the Border regiment and went to France. I have pieced together a few snippets from various books and websites, and have put together a very brief resume of their time in India :-

06 08 14 Enlisted as No. 1855 in 6th (Duke of Connaught's Own) Battalion (Territorial), Hampshire Regiment, Wessex Division.

09 10 14 Embarked at Southampton for India. Arrived at Bombay 1 month later. 6th Battalion posted to Dinapore. Several companies sent to Dum Dum.

14 08 15 Appointed Lance Corporal.

Nov 1915 A detachment drafted to 4th Hampshire Battalion in Mesopotamia.

March 1916 Battalion moved from Agra to Ambala. Companies rotated spells in Solon until Oct 1916.

25 09 16 Discharged having been appointed to a Commission.

Finding out any more is proving devilishly difficult.

Do you have any photographs taken during your Great Uncle's time with the battalion ? I would love to see them, as I unfortunately have none.

Keith

Thanks for the information and I understand your frustration, Keith.

I have gleaned some bits from various sources and now have these contributions to add. I have a library copy of the Hampshire Regiment history for the war years for other research, so have found some little snippets.

The 6th and others seem to have been sent to India to replace the Regulars already serving there who were bound for the fronts, although the upper echelons seem to have taken some persuasion over this move.This is rather ironic, as my grandfather - his brother - had spent many years with the RHA in India.

Apart from a childhood family group, no photographs of my great-uncle have appeared, which is equally frustrating. I do have his discharge papers, which include a description of him as 'An intelligent man, of very good character'. This may have been standard wording but is a source of great pride on my part.

Rosemary

What I find particularly galling is that they did not qualify for the 1915 Star. Ok, so sorting out a few recalcitrant Afghan tribesmen is not on a par with facing the Germans on the Western Front, but they willingly volunteered for overseas service, and it appears to be sheer chance that they ended up in India whereas the London Scottish (for example) ended up at Messines. I wonder if there was perhaps a 'league table' for Territorial units, and that some were considered more battleworthy than others ?

I am pleased that you are proud of your great-uncle Rosemary. We should be proud of all of them.

Keith

Guest RichardBond500

What I find particularly galling is that they did not qualify for the 1915 Star. Ok, so sorting out a few recalcitrant Afghan tribesmen is not on a par with facing the Germans on the Western Front, but they willingly volunteered for overseas service, and it appears to be sheer chance that they ended up in India whereas the London Scottish (for example) ended up at Messines. I wonder if there was perhaps a 'league table' for Territorial units, and that some were considered more battleworthy than others ?

I am pleased that you are proud of your great-uncle Rosemary. We should be proud of all of them.

Keith

I agree to a point with what you say but not in relation to the Afghans. My grandfather, with the 1/5th in NW Frontier did receive the India General Service Medal while serving with the 1/6th ( I know, it's complicated for me! ) - The IGM carried the Bar, Afghanistan NW Frontier. Now, the comparison between the Germans and the Afghans, these were the only people he ever admitted to be scared of as the young soldiers were fed strories about captured soldiers being emasculated by the tribeswomen. They were also, he said, told not to ever get captured but to save" a bullet for themselves". So, not so easy?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree Richard, not an attractive prospect. But infinitely preferable to being in the Salient, with the constant threat of gas, flamethrowers, shells and bullets. Plus of course lice, rats and trench-foot.

So, although I rue the lack of a 1914/15 Star, I can fully understand the logic behind it.

Interestingly, SDGW shows that between Oct 1914 and Sept 1916, the 6th Hampshires suffered 11 fatalities, and only 5 of these were actually in India. I suspect that, had they been on the Western Front, their losses would have been much greater.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just noticed this thread as I was looking at a photograph of a group of soldiers around a tent in Hursley Park, near Southampton. The picture is on a postcard from George Ballard whose family lived in Copnor (Portsmouth) and the card is dated 22nd September 1914 and the men clearly have the Hampshire regiment badge on their caps (no shoulder insignia that I could read though) and one has a signals badge on his arm.

Having talked to the Hampshire Regimental museum we both failed to find the service record that matches the George Ballard mentioned (there are other George Ballards) but I have managed to get his medal card and 1911 census record. Curiously, although the Medal Card just says "Hampshire Rgt, 8830 then E Kent Yeo.) ancestry's transcription includes a reference to "Duke of Connaught's Own" (though even more confusing to me this is after the East Kent Yeomanry).

So the date and other pieces info suggest he may have been part of the 1/6th, or possibly 2/6th??, Hampshire Regiment.

If the 1/6th then that would make some sense in the run-up to embarkation from Southampton on 9th October

However, the Long Long Trail mentions the 2/6th at Hursley Park sometime after the beginning of September 1914

I'd be very interested in any stories on these early Hampshire Regiment Territorial battalions, especially if they help explain if/when they came to Hursley Park.

Equally if anyone can positively identify the Henry Ballard no.8830 from Copnor and the battalion he was in ... I'd also be very grateful.

Cheers

Dave

I agree to a point with what you say but not in relation to the Afghans. My grandfather, with the 1/5th in NW Frontier did receive the India General Service Medal while serving with the 1/6th ( I know, it's complicated for me! ) - The IGM carried the Bar, Afghanistan NW Frontier. Now, the comparison between the Germans and the Afghans, these were the only people he ever admitted to be scared of as the young soldiers were fed strories about captured soldiers being emasculated by the tribeswomen. They were also, he said, told not to ever get captured but to save" a bullet for themselves". So, not so easy?

Now now Dickie, I can call you Dickie can I ? :thumbsup:

Unless you have found something else to establish the 1/5th theme we have to rely on his being in 1/6th due to his regimental number after the re-numbering of TF units. Research has to be based on fact and evidence. I know perhaps the best that you could say is that he 'may' have served with another battalion at some point but certainly at the time of TF re-numbering or after [1 March 1917 authority ACI 2414 Dec 1916] he was a 1/6th man and as as we know he served in Mesopotamia, and is further bourne out by the copy of the medal roll I sent you showing 1/6th Bn for the IGM with bar Afghanistan NWF 1919.

I am still going through the interesting document you sent. ;)

Cheers Peter.

Edited by fellop

Hi,

Just noticed this thread as I was looking at a photograph of a group of soldiers around a tent in Hursley Park, near Southampton....

Dave

Would it be possible for you to post a copy of the photograph ? If anyone can recognise one of the other soldiers, it may help to answer your query.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Sorry would have done it first time but didn't have the image to hand. Hope this helps:

1914 09 22 Hants Rgt Territorials group at Hursley Park

Cheers

Dave