Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain AEJ Collins, 5th Company RE

Mark Hone

During my October school tour I plan to visit the Nonne Boschen/Polygon Wood area and will be telling the story of Captain Collins. I have read slightly conflicting accounts of the point in the fighting in which he was killed-was it in the initial defence or when 5th Company RE joined the Ox and Bucks counterattack?

You may already be aware or it may be of no use, but I seem to remember there was a brief account of Collins life and death in an early issue of Stand To! Full A4 size I think.

Regards,

Jonathan S

There used to be a very handy index on the WFA site but I couldn't find it so I've been through the volumes ... they were reasonably at hand ... and would you believe it was in the last binder I looked at ... issue 47 (Sept 1996) p26/7.

There is a nice "passing out" head and shoulders cabinet photo of Collins as well.

In the OC report quoted therein, I believe my Step-Great Grandfather is the Sgt Lethbridge referred to as taking 20 men to the south side of Polygon Wood just before Collins was killed.

Let me know if you struggle finding your copy in the attic.

Regards,

Jonathan S

I can't seem to lay my hands on No 47. I know that I did dispose of some of my early Stand Tos rather foolishly when I moved house a few years ago. At one time I had a complete run from Number One as I bought up back copies when I joined the WFA in 1984.

Drop me your email address and I'll scan and send it over to you. It might be late this evening otherwise probably not until over the weekend. If anyone can scan and send it to you straight away I wont be offended!

Regrads,

Jonathan S