Remembered Today:

First World War number

kawasaki

I have my grandfathers number 2/866

From Royal Naval Division

His names is Ernest Terry and he was an engine fitter in civvy street

Can anyone help where he would have been stationed during WW1

Thanks

2/866 looks like a pre-WW1 RNVR number (No.2 Company of one the RNVR Divisions). However, no RNVR rating of that name (or number) qualified for medals in WW1. Could he have been army?

Edit: now the Kew's Discovery engine is back in service, It is clear that Ernest James TERRY was, indeed, an RNVR rating in the RND. However, his non-qualification for medals would appear to imply that he did not complete the 30 days mobilized service needed to earn just the British War Medal.

His original RNVR enrolment papers and RND record are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum:- http://www.fleetairarm.com/royal-navy-royal-marines-services-records.aspx

Edited by horatio2

Horatio2 thanks for the information, according to my mother he was in the army during WW1. But I can't find any record of him. He survived WW1.

Hi

Card details for Royal Navy Service have been added to the Lives of the First World War site recently.

Shows him employed as an engine fitter, entering service on 7/11/10.

Address recorded was with his mother (Mrs A Terry) at 17 William Street, Redfield, St George, Bristol.

C Volunteer that's definitely my grandfather, can anyone guide me in further research to see if he was in the navy or army during world war one?

If Ernest Terry was in the RN reserve, and then joined the army during World War One, what sources would be available to me to try and identify his regiment. He survived the War.

• 3 months later...

Hello Mike

He could still have been in the RNVR throughout. The Royal Naval Division originally consisted of battalions of sailor reservists and marines, surplus to the needs of the Fleet. They were briefly sent to Antwerp, then to Gallipoli, and eventually to France where the division was transferred to Army control and numbered 63rd (RN) Division, being completed with artillery and other supporting troops.

Ron