Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Do You Think of The Show So Far

mark.topham

Just to stir some thoughts what do the members of the forum think of the centenary programmes so far for example "Our Great War" BBC 3

Bom T

There have been several threads on the various individual programmes but my overall impression has been very favourable. Particularly noteworthy were the recent recreation of the Battle of Mons & one on the contribution of colonial troops. I know many here have been irritated by various inaccuracies but for a novice viewer, as most will be, I'm sure they will have stimulated interest in the conflict.

A very mixed bag. Loved the ""Great War interviews" (well, I would as I helped work on it). Quite enjoyed the Michael Portillo series on the railways: nice to see a genuine historian like Rob Thompson getting a run out for a change. But as I don't like my history fictionalised or opinions on historical matters being given by novelists and newsreaders, the rest has done little for me.

I concur with Chris on the inclusion of present day novelists. The sight of Sebastian Faulks reading from 'Birdsong' at the Abbey service to commemorate the start of the War was too ridiculous for words.

There have been several threads on the various individual programmes but my overall impression has been very favourable. Particularly noteworthy were the recent recreation of the Battle of Mons & one on the contribution of colonial troops. I know many here have been irritated by various inaccuracies but for a novice viewer, as most will be, I'm sure they will have stimulated interest in the conflict.

Wasn't sure if there had been any other threads on this topic when I made the post (Been away). Thought the BBC 3 "Our Great War" was a fair attempt but showed the influence of recent History & Discovery Channel documentaries on famous battles mixing computer imagery, eyewitness accounts and re-enactments.

Can anyone give a link to any of the threads?

Bom T

There are several threads in the Culture section, including one on

Our World War

Moonraker

Thanks Moonraker found them. Will now fall in line and pick which ever thread is most interesting

Bom T