Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British Army Boxing

Ken Morgan

I'm trying to source out some information on my grandfather. Richard Alexander Morgan. He was with the 1st battalion of the Royal Inniskillian Fusiliers, 1903-1918.

During his time in the army he also boxed, becoming the British Army boxing champion for a number of years. One of the stories we have is that while in Hong Kong he beat the Orienatal Champion.

Is there a source, book/website , that talks about the history of military boxing in the British Army? WW1 and earlier?

Thanks for any help,

Ken

You could try contacting the British Boxing Association, they helped me in the past. A chap I was researching was undefeated inter-services Heavyweight boxing champion 1913-1917, and they were able to supply some information.

I got this article from a regimental diary (personal as opposed to war diary):

"All told a magnificent evening of boxing rounded off the time in reserve. Private Barr kept his belt with a display of true grit and skill. His fight against Private Hardiman of the Artillery was a fine way to end an evening. All told Barr's greater skill and experience prevailed, and Private Hardiman, though not lacking in spirit lasted not a second more than 7 minutes. I do not think he landed more than a handful of punches, and Private Barr left the ring, not only with regiment's fine reputation enhanced, but the hero to officers and men alike."

I rescued this WW1 Inter Regiment Boxing Match list from a box of Paperbacks @ the local Car Boot,which may be of interest.

post-3-1099410535.jpg

And a Photograph from My Grandfathers Collection showing a RNAS/RN/RAF Boxing Match Line Up,circa Post April 1918 as there are RAF types there,

One of the questions we were asked in high school was who in history would you most like to have met. Everyone came out with all sorts of typical answers, kings, queens, generals, religious people etc. ME? I just wanted to sit down and talk with my grandfathers.

I'd love to learn about all the history they went through, but I was very young when they died.

Boxing is just one more route in learning about him. Thanks for the help, lets see what turns up,

You could try contacting the British Boxing Association, they helped me in the past. A chap I was researching was undefeated inter-services Heavyweight boxing champion 1913-1917, and they were able to supply some information.

do not think he landed more than a handful of punches, and

Hi Matt,

Sorry to trouble you, but could you provide any contact info on the British Boxing Association? I've not had any luck finding a link/address to such a group on the net. Thanks for your help

His name is not listed as a boxing finalist at the following:

British Empire & American Services Boxing Tournament which was held at the Albert Hall, London, on December 11th & 12th 1918.

(British Army Team won).

Imperial Services Boxing Team Championships which were held at the Northampton Institute Clerkenwell, London, on May 13th & 14th 1919.

(winning team not identified)

There was also the Inter-Theatre of War Tournament which was held at Aldershot at the end of April 1919 & the Inter-Allied meeting in Paris which opened on June 22nd 1919.

(from 'Soldiers & Sportsmen- An Account of the Sporting activities of the Australian Imperial Force during the period between November 1918, and September 1919' published by AIF Sports Control Board, Horseferry Road- 1919)

Cheers

Geoff S

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for looking that up, but he was wounded at Gallipoli in 1915 and that ended his boxing career.

I'll keep looking around......

Try the following:

www.bbbofc.com

www.britishboxing.net

• 6 years later...
Guest supersarah

I have a boxing medal belonging to my great grandfather and would love to find out when/where it came from but can't download that attachment...is it because I'm a new member?

I know this is a 2004 thread. But I don't think that the pre-war boxing website was operational at that time and I am new to this forum. Hence the 7 year gap.

My great uncle boxed from 1914-23 with some of that time spent boxing for his unit.

A couple of years back, Miles Templeton at http://www.prewarboxing.co.uk/ found his record for me.

There was a modest charge for his service. But his site is worth a look and I found him to be very responsive to my questions.