Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/10 London

Guest phin

My Grandfather served with 2/10 Londons and was invalided out. Is there any reference work I can access to find out what they got up to and where.

I know about War Diaries at PRO, but has anyone written a book or diary?

Phil

No published memoirs of service with this unit either - how about diaries etc in the archives of IWM and the Liddle Archive at Leeds?

Thank Paul, I wondered if you'd crop up! Looking forward to our Somme trip? We seem to have a full complement!

Phil

Yes mate - all the Somme walking tours fully booked this year. Remind me when you come over about this and I will see what I have on the 'Hackney Gurkhas'.

Hello Phil.

2/10th Londons(Hackney),were part of the 58th(2/1st)London division,serving with 175th Brigade.

They saw service at 3rd Ypres and during the March Offensive of 1918 with this division but had been around for a lot longer,so i believe.

The 58th Division records are in WO95/3000.

I am pretty sure that the war diaries for the 175th Brigade battalions are in this group of records,somewhere between 3000 to 3005.

As for books,i haven't come across any and the division never produced a history after the war.

If you come across any during your search,i would be very interested.

All the best.

Simon Furnell.

Simon and Paul

thanks for your respones. Paul I@ll be with you on the Somerset's trip in Autumn.

Simon

he was wounded at 3rd Ypres, I'll let you know what I turn up!

Phil B)

Phil,

An ex-neighbour from my childhood attended one of my local talks on WW1. She brought along a couple of pictures of an uncle she had never known:

THOMAS RIGBY

Private

2nd/10th Bn., London Regiment

who died on

Thursday 27 September 1917 . Age 23 .

He is commemorated at Tyne Cot.

Tom was a lanky young man with a broad smile, who loved dogs. He began his Army career with the ASC. Within a few months of Tom's death, his brother Charlie died in Palestine, and also has no known grave.

Having two sons (presumably listed as) 'missing - believed killed' accelerated their mother's early death ten years later; but until the end of her days Mrs Rigby would never lock her front door. "If our Tom comes back, he's not going to find that door locked!!" she would say.

Such is a mother's love, and the flame of hope that dwelt in many a broken heart.