Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
yelob

Shell Factories in Ireland

yelob

Hi All,

I was in Collins Barracks yesterday and there was quite a lot of WW1 Irish related stuff but a photo caught my eye

and showed women in a shell factory in Ireland but no caption on it. Does anyone have a list of where shells were made in Ireland during the war. I was aware of the railway works in Inchicore and another location in parkgate street but were there more? This one looked quite big.

Thanks in advance,

Liam

Anneca

The Waterford Cartridge Factory (may have been the former Waterford South Station) employed 519 people, and at a private munitions company in Arklow an explosion in September 1917 resulted in 27 deaths. The Cork Shell Factory employed 148 people, and one in Galway employed 115. The Munitions Factory you refer to at Parkgate Street in Dublin, was known as the ‘Dublin Shell Factory’ and employed 809 people. There was also a ‘National Fuse Factory’ in Dublin employing 557.

Anne

Don

There was the National Shell Company located in Parkgate street Dublin,there was a break-up sale in 1919.

In East Wall Dublin there was a 18 pounder shell plant belonging to the Dublin Dock yard plant munitions Company.

corisande

A lot of background on the Kynoch Explosive Factory at Arklow with its history - click on this link

yelob

Many thanks for the info and links, I wasn't aware of the other locations or of how big Parkgate Street factory was.

Liam