Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemorations 06.08.14

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following casualties to its database today.

ALLEN, Thomas

Private

7 Bn, Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Died 19.02.16 Age 57

Commemorated: United Kingdom Book of Remembrance

BENNETT, Albert Featherstone

Driver 1290

Royal Field Artillery

Died 16.12.14 Age 22

GODFRAY, Edwin de Vismea

Private M2/019718

Army Service Corps

Died 04.06.17 Age 31

GREENWOOD, Ivor

Private

Duke of Wellington’s (West Riding Regiment)

Died 16.09.14 Age 18

HARRISON, George Robert

Private 120073

Royal Army Medical Corps

Died 31.01.19 Age 22

JONES, William

Private 35497

Royal Defence Corps

Died 10.02.18 Age 39

LAMONT, James Hope

Private M/429433

Royal Army Service Corps

Died 05.04.20 Age 22

Commemorated: Hollybrook Memorial, Hants, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

Several of the above were In From the Cold Project cases

- Pte Allen was killed by a train whilst on guard duty in Doncaster (Volunteer: Stuart Wilson)

- Dvr Bennett was killed ashore by German naval shellfire at Scarborough (Volunteer: Craig Suddick)

- Pte Harrison died of pneumonia in Egypt (Volunteer: Steve Mattock)

- Pte Jones died post-discharge of tuberculosis (Volunteer: Clive Hughes)

- Pte Lamont drowned at sea in the Mediterranean (Volunteer: Jim Grant)

Good to see William Jones' name up at last. Still trying to confirm the exact grave site in Holyhead, but at least he will now be remembered officially.

Clive

May They Rest In Peace

Rest in peace soldier boy's, gone and never forgotten. :poppy:

• 1 month later...

ALLEN, THOMAS

Rank:PrivateDate of Death:19/02/1916Age:57Regiment/Service:Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) 7th Bn. Grave Reference:Sec.P.4. Grave 29Cemetery:NOTTINGHAM (NEW BASFORD) CEMETERYAdditional Information:Husband of Kate Allen, of Hyson Green, Nottingham.

N.B.

This casualty has recently been accepted for commemoration by the Commission. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave.

Commemoration Moved From UK BOR.

• 6 months later...

BENNETT, ALBERT FEATHERSTONE

Rank: Driver Service No: 1290 Date of Death: 16/12/1914 Age: 22 Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery North Riding Bty. Grave Reference: Section D. Grave 24 Cemetery: SCARBOROUGH (DEAN ROAD) CEMETERY Additional Information: Son of Johanna Bennett, of Scarborough, Yorkshire.
N.B.

This casualty has recently been accepted for commemoration by the Commission. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave.

• 2 months later...

GREENWOOD, IVOR TEMPEST

Rank:PrivateDate of Death:16/09/1914Age:18Regiment/Service:Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)Grave Reference:Grave 18868Cemetery:KEIGHLEY (UTLEY) CEMETERY

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Private Greenwood is buried here.

• 2 weeks later...

GREENWOOD, IVOR TEMPEST

Rank:PrivateDate of Death:16/09/1914Age:18Regiment/Service:Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)Grave Reference:Grave 18868Cemetery:KEIGHLEY (UTLEY) CEMETERY

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Private Greenwood is buried here.

Update:

We had notification yesterday from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission that Ivor will now be receiving a headstone after a decision had initially been made not to to install one. The original reason given was that the existing stones were deemed as an adequate commemoration. We felt that this wasn't the case as they were just family grave kerb edgings piled up at the head of the grave and only mentioned his name and the date of death. We also argued that the condition of these stones was loose and they could have suffered from knocks and been dislodged easily by the ride on mowers used in this cemetery and they also did not refer to him having died in the army during WW1. To the reader, he was just Mr Greenwood and not Private Greenwood. The case was looked at again and we are delighted that he will now receive a proper GWGC stone.

Edit: His grave is right in the centre of this picture:

post-9980-0-94590700-1437667919_thumb.jp

Thank you Louise, I personally can't claim credit for it though, as it was my friend and Men of Worth colleague Ian Walkden who did the research, submission, and argued the case for him to get a headstone. I agreed with Ian's sound reasoning that Ivor should be known as 'Private Greenwood who died in WW1' on his grave and now it would seem, so do the CWGC. For them to reverse their decision is wonderful, we thought we'd succeeded with getting him recognised, but when they said they weren't going to install a headstone we were very disappointed at the news. Now we're all so very pleased knowing that he'll have something permanent on his grave.
We're still looking into finding members of his family and hope that someone will come forward. The grave plot was owned by the Harper family as well as the Greenwood surname, so we'll see if anyone comes forward after an article in the local newspaper.

• 4 years later...

JONES, William

Private 35497

Royal Defence Corps

Died 10.02.18 Age 39

Commemorated: Brookwood 1914-1918 Memorial

Grave Found Holyhead St Seiriol Churchyard.

Chris,

Have you any information as to how William Jones' grave site was verified please? 

Many thanks

Clive 

This is his burial record. Unfortunately it does not indicate where he was buried. I'm also interested in how the burial was verified. I will have a quick search tomorrow at St. Seriol to look for a headstone. Maybe Carmania may be able to help.

image.jpeg

It's one that Clive and I have been looking for his grave for a very long time. You've supplied an image from the Parish Register therefore one would expect him to be in St Seiriol, but the newspaper report refers to him being buried in Maeshyfryd Cemetery. Also the last column indicates the service was undertaken by a Non-Conformist Minister . He is not in the Maeshyfryd Cemetery burial registers so presumably he is buried in the 'Church Portion' at Maeshyfryd, but where, and is there a headstone??:wacko::wacko:

Afternoon All,

I took this to be the St Seiriol burial register when I reported this to CWGC. As the other CWGC casualties at St Seiriol are listed in this register that's what I went with. Are saying he is not buried here?

Chris

Chris,

While Jones is undoubtedly recorded in the St.Seiriol Burial Register, both the local Holyhead weekly newspapers of the period report on his burial ceremony at the local cemetery, Maeshyfryd.  It was an impressive affair, since Jones was destined for a "pauper" burial until a local councillor stepped in and insisted it be treated as the funeral of a man who died as a result of serving his country.  He rounded up some 50 convalescent wounded from the local service hospitals, and persuaded the naval commander Admiral Da Costa to supply Naval bearers and a firing party. There were VTC and Special Constabulary representatives, and a wreath was sent by men still at the local Red Cross war hospital.  A Rev. Mostyn Jones (Wesleyan) officiated.  

Maeshyfryd has a "Church" (Anglican) section, and the question is whether Jones was buried there.  It's further complicated by the fact that no Anglican cleric was involved, the register confirming that it took place under the Burial Laws Amendment Act 1880 (Section 1) - whereby a "Notice" that the burial would be taking place was issued by one of the people concerned (usually family) to the relevant Anglican incumbent.  In other words, they didn't ask the incumbent's permission or involve him in the burial, but merely told him it would take place on a given day/time within a burial ground in his jurisdiction.  After the event (Section 10), a Certificate was also delivered to the incumbent that the burial had happened, and it's this which the register mentions. The incumbent was also obliged to register the event in his burial register, and to name the person certifying it (rather than the name of the person officiating at the service).  

So either Jones was indeed buried (under the 1880 Act) in St.Seiriol's burial ground and a certificate duly issued and recorded in its register; or he was buried in the Anglican Church plot of the local cemetery, Maeshyfryd.  The cemetery records don't mention him; but a vital question is whether those who were interred in the Maeshyfryd Anglican plot were routinely recorded by the Cemetery authorities or not?  And are those with known tombstones in the Anglican plot amongst the "certified" burials in St.Seiriol's registers?  It would take some comparative research work on the church and cemetery registers, and on the  tombstones in that plot, to get an answer.  The research might also have to take into account that there was another Anglican parish in Holyhead, namely St.Cybi's. 

Until then it can't be assumed that the newspapers were correctly reporting where the event took place; nor that the Register entry can only refer to the old churchyard and omits burials in the cemetery's Anglican plot.  

Does that sort of explain the problem, Aled?  

Clive

Very well put Clive. Explains a quite confusing situation. I know that later entries in the Parish Register have M/MH for Maeshyfryd or S/SS for St Seiriol to indicate where the deceased were buried; anecdotally very few of the M/MH entries that I have seen are in the Maeshyfryd Cemetery Registers therefore I would assume that they are in the 'Church' plot of Maeshyfryd. However it will take some work to get a definitive answer. I should do it as I have access to burials in Maeshyfryd from 1876 onwards. Also several visits to Maeshyfryd to record the headstones in the Church portion would be required :( But it should be noted that William Jones' burial is not recorded in the Maeshyfryd Registers, nor is a record of a headstone with his name on it in St Seiriol. A conundrum.

Aled

Enough indeed to put great doubt in my mind. Will report this to CWGC.  My thanks.

Chris

OK I have reported your findings to CWGC. I will leave it to you all in Holyhead to find the grave due to the doubts as to the location of his grave site.

Cheers

Chris