Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William John Coote Connaught Rangers

kinsalegreg

In researching my grandfather I have come across a William John Coote who joined the Rangers in 1906. The service number I have is 35220. I think he may have been with my grandfather in Kinsale. Does anyone have any information about him?

Hi,

I have just conducted a few searches looking for William with that number, and for anyone with that number, as I was unable to find a William John Coote of the Connaught Rangers with that number. I have found a Daniel Madigan of the Connaught Rangers with the number 35220.

When searching for William John Coote in the Connaught Rangers I found in all the MIC databases I have access to (Ancestry, FindMyPast and LivesoftheFirstWorldWar) a Private with the number 8926. I am looking for other records at the moment, assuming this is your Grandfather.

Mark

I'm not sure if my previous post got through. 8926 seems to be Coote - he enlisted in 1906 and my grandfather is 6926, enlisting in c1898/99. Coote was one of the mutineers in India in 1922. When they changed to Army Numbers in 1920 my grandfather had a Connaught Rangers number beginning 7143 but I don't know what 35220 refers to. I think Coote was 7143134 which means he was the 134th oldest member of the regiment in 120 which would fit with his enlistment date re my grandfather's who was 30th oldest in terms of service. You might be interested in http://mspcsearch.militaryarchives.ie/detail.aspx which is the application Coote made, as a mutineer, for an Irish army pension in 1934. Within the text is a link to the actual documentation in pdf form.

The service papers of the man in post 1 are on FindMyPast

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo96%2f1224%2f173%2f001&parentid=gbm%2fwo96%2f1224%2f1602133&highlights=%22%22

He joined RDF Militia on 15 May 1906 and transferred to Connaught Rangers on 8 Oct 1906

His father was James of 46 Middle Gardens St, Dublin. And he had brothers Robert, Ernest and Dan

• 5 months later...

My grandfather is the William John Coote you are looking for. He was in the rangers. My brother Liam has all the info on his army career. If you message me I will give you his contact details.

• 3 years later...
6 hours ago, Donal said:

I have been doing some research on William John Coote of kinsale and would appreciate making contact with Guest megok or his brother Liam if  possible

"Guest megok" is no longer a member of the forum, so will not get details of your post