Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Not Forgotten - Milnrow & District Fallen Heroes - Ralph J Davidso

John_Hartley

Ralph, or rjaydee as we know him here, invited me to yesterday's launch of his book at Rochdale Town Hall. There was a promise of food, so that confirmed the trip round the M60.

I've only had chance to skim through it but, already, I can be certain that "Not Forgotten" sits very well amongst the better efforts of the "local war memorial" style of book.

There's been the usual detailed research to identify men, units, dates of death, family background, etc. Most entries are supported by photos of the men and, in many cases, by photos of their graves. What I'm finding particularly interesting are the very many extracts from the local newpapers, so you are reading the news of a man's death in exactly the same words as his mates and neighbours would have done. The book runs to nearly 350 pages and includes some cracking colour photos of war memorials where men are commemorated away from Milnrow. It's generally a quality production - much better than some of the genre.

If you're from the wider Milnrow/Rochdale area, this is definitely a book you are going to want on your shelves. And I reckon that folk having an interest in northern regiments, particularly the Lancashire Fusiliers, will also find it worth the £19.95. Ralph is selling the book directly so a PM to rjaydee should sort things out for you.

John

Hi All

Haven't put my copy down!. If you are a family tree climber then this book is a brilliant record of the local heroes. I found 3 distant relations.

Well done Ralph.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the best book of its type that I've read, a great addition to my library. I love that Ralph has found the space to include photos of the various war memorials and rolls of honour that the Milnrow and Newhey men's names appear on, something that I've often wished other books could have done. As above, the inclusion of newspaper reports are welcome but what makes this book unique, as far as I'm aware, are the touching In Memoriams that appeared in the local newspapers on the anniversaries of many of the men's deaths.

the touching In Memoriams that appeared in the local newspapers on the anniversaries of many of the men's deaths.

Often, I reckon, a very useful (and often only) research resource for identifying family of a deceased.

This is an excellent book on the fallen of the Milnrow district. As I'm doing something similar online for a nearby town I can appreciate the immense amount of work Ralph must have put into this opus. If I get achieve anywhere near to his research & output I'll be well chuffed.

If you have the slightest interest in Milnrow, Newhey, the Rochdale area, the Lancashire Fusiliers, WW1 etc etc then get yourself a copy.

To top it all off I was very impressed with the physical quality of the book itself - well printed, bound, illustrated etc.

Ralph, my hat is very much off!

• 2 weeks later...

I met with Ralph earlier this week to pick up a copy, today was the first chance I had to browse through. I use browse on purpose as found myself flicking through and following some of the cross references.

I have to agree with those reviews above as to the quality of both the book itself and Ralph's research, searching through newspaper articles from 1914-1918 is no mean feat in itself, but to carry on and look for the in memoriam’s for the years following the war, must have been an epic task.

Not mentioned in the post above is the size of the book - 350 pages, A4 and nearly an inch thick.

For the majority of entries, the standard Name, Rank, Number, Regiment and place of commemoration are shown, along with address and employment details. Many entries have excerpts from unit war diaries and service records and again for the majority a copy of the local newspaper reports at the time they fell.

I have no doubt that this is a book I will refer to over and over again

Glen

• 1 month later...

A wee update on my "tome" three sent to Australia, one to British Columbia, one to Arizona and one to a forum pal in Leeds Not doing bad (free postage for forum pals) Ralph.

Hello Ralph

Received my copy today. Just to let people know what a well researched, well written and well presented publication this book is ! A most valuable resource for men from Milnrow and surrounding areas. Thanks.

Regards

Ron

• 1 month later...

Well done, chum!

Bernard