Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Mellon, 170th Tunnelling Coy, Hugh Mellon, Royal Northumberlan

Danrowley2601

John. Did you ever get hold of his service record, or closer to tracking down his Military Cross? I see the whole family on the 1901 Census were at 53 Auchinstarry, but they all have different places of birth - so presumably their father had moved around the area for work prior to settling there. Got Owen travelling  London to New Zealand on 9th October 1913 on S.S.Arawa.

• 6 months later...

According to New Zealand war graves project website James MELLON served with the NZ Field Artillery in WW1. He was wounded by a  shell in 1916 and was returned “unfit for war” from the Ukin March 1917. He dies in Westport NZ 1928. 

• 6 months later...
On 31/08/2014 at 16:44, Corpsman said:

Dan,

I have been carrying out some research on a voluntary basis and this has included John and Owen Mellon.

James Mellon also shows as Gunner Service No.2/1183 in the New Zealand Army Nominal Rolls as living at the same address in New Zealand and with the same parents in Auchinstarry.

I have records for both soldiers and some census details. This is the first I have been aware of Hugh's military service.

I have sent a PM. If you drop me a note I will send what I have

Paul

Hugh Mellon also served in WW2 he died in a Hotel in Glasgow and his ashes are in my Uncle James Mellon's grave in Kilsyth 

• 2 months later...

I just know his ashes are in my Uncle James grave in Kilsyth but I do remember my father and his brother going to visit him in a Glasgow hotel then later when he died aged 84 I vaguely remember my dad saying that the crony ones received his possessions like his binoculars and his wallet etc. I would assume he carried his medal with him but no one ever contacted me and those women are now dead apart from one I will get my sister to ask her. 

On 24/11/2017 at 11:48, david murdoch said:

John. Did you ever get hold of his service record, or closer to tracking down his Military Cross? I see the whole family on the 1901 Census were at 53 Auchinstarry, but they all have different places of birth - so presumably their father had moved around the area for work prior to settling there. Got Owen travelling  London to New Zealand on 9th October 1913 on S.S.Arawa.

I just read that James was killed by a rock fall in a mine in 1928 don't think he or Owen were married.

On 24/11/2017 at 11:48, david murdoch said:

I just read that James was killed by a rock fall in a mine in 1928 don't think he or Owen were married.My uncles James and Owen were named after them .

On 07/11/2014 at 12:12, Danrowley2601 said:

Hiya Tony,

Thanks very much for this, much appreciated. Hugh, William, Owen and James were my nan's great uncles. Her granddad, Thomas, was the younger brother. Thomas's son, also Thomas, was my Great Grandfather. :) I think that my great uncle (also Tommy-there's so many Thomas's in the family!) has mentioned you before as he had shown me some information on Hugh that you had sent to him before.

I'm a school teacher so am planning an assembly based all around the war and remembering soldiers as men not numbers. I'm including some stories of Hugh, Owen and William Mellon. I don't have any information on James though. I think I've got some papers saved for William so I will have a look and can send you those on if you like.

I'm not sure if you've been on the NZ records, but there are full papers available for Owen on there too! Very detailed and very interesting!

Thanks for the reply.

Dan

James and Owen traveled together from Auchinstarry both enlisted in the NZEL Owen was KIA and James wounded and discharged but in 1928he was killed in a mine fall.

On 05/07/2015 at 22:00, Guest RMacmillan said:

Hi,

richardmacmillan@xtra.co.nz

My grandmother was Agnes Griffin, daughter of Catherine Griffin (nee Mellon). Catherine and the two daughters Agnes and Susan and son Michael lived with the Mellon family following the early death of her Catherines husband. I believe James Mellon, Hugh and Owen emmigrated to NZ. At some point they were to fetch my grandmother Agnes to where they were living in a coal mining town in the South Island (Millerton nr Westport). However Agnes (Griffin) was already married at that time and so they took Susan Griffin (Agnes' younger sister) who would have been about 17 or 18yrs old at that time.

The next year the Mellon brothers (her uncles) went off to the war leaving Susan in NZ. I don't believe any of them returned to NZ (I am not sure what happened to James, I know he was wounded 6th Oct 1916). Susan Griffin married Alfred Armstrong who I think was a friend (fellow miner) from Westport NZ. They moved to Wellington and were married. They had three daughters (the eldest Catherine May), the other two I am trying to trace.

My mother, Elizabeth Macmillan (nee Morrison) is the daughter of Agnes Griffin and grandaughter of Catherine Griffin (nee Mellon).

I have copies of the Mellons' war records and would be interested in any contact with the family or from anyone who knows anything about the NZ off-spring.

I hope this is of interest,

Cheers

Richard

James was killed in 1928 in a mining accident I have his death certificate.

• 8 months later...
On 13/07/2015 at 01:08, Guest RMacmillan said:

Thanks Craig,

That is great. Yes that is the James I was looking for. I don't think he made it back to NZ. I believe he was returned to Scotland wounded and died there. I did not know he was married. Slowly piecing it together!

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Craig,

That is great. Yes that is the James I was looking for. I don't think he made it back to NZ. I believe he was returned to Scotland wounded and died there. I did not know he was married. Slowly piecing it together!

Cheers

Richard

• 2 years later...

Hi,

My Grandfather was Andrew Mellon (Twechar). Hugh was his uncle. My Mother Mary Ann Devine (nee Mellon) remembers Hugh as he used to visit Twechar after the war was over. Twechar is another minning village around 1 mile west of Auchinstarry, this is where the family stayed. Next time I'm in Kilsyth graveyard I'll look out for James graveystone and take a picture. The Croy Historical society has further information regarding the Mellon family.

Kind regards,

John

• 4 months later...

James made it back to NZ. Unfortunately he was killed in a mining accident 1928. Married but no children, I believe. 
I have more details from NZ and a photo of his grave. Send email and will send them on. 
Denis Mellon