Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Battlefield: Somme' Android App released

BelgianExile

Hi all,

This evening, I've uploaded the 'Battlefield: Somme' app to the Google play store. It's been a long journey to date, and thanks are due to several members who've helped me with the testing, but here it is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.footstepsofheroes.sommebattlefieldguide.sommebattlefieldguide

And here is the (slightly cheesy) promotional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enb-EX1C2kI

It's available for android tablets at present, but I'm working on the phone version as we speak. Also, about every 2 weeks there'll be an update to the app - I know there are some glaring omissions but I have a shed load of locations to research and pictures to go through from recent travels.

Any feedback is of course greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Damien

purchased it! will give it a better go next week when i'm in Arras.

Excuse my lack of knowledge but does that mean if I load it onto my tablet it uses the gps and gives info of where I am.

Terry

Excuse my lack of knowledge but does that mean if I load it onto my tablet it uses the gps and gives info of where I am.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Yes, that's absolutely right. Once your GPS has worked out where you are, then you can display your location on a map (4 different map types are available) with icons showing all the 'points of interest' near you. You can change the list as well to see what's closest to where you are.

The underlying maps themselves (not the map icons, photos, or descriptions) are online only (blame Google!) so if you're using it without a data connection then the only thing you won't be able to see is the underlying map images.

Hope this makes sense, please let me know if not!

Damien

Will there be an iPad/iPhone version?

Hi Kim,

Sorry, I've got no plans in the immediate future to do an Apple version. It's something I want to look at in the future though.

Damien

Sorry to hear that Damien, but I'll keep my hopes up it won't be too long into the future before one appears.

Thanks for letting me know.

Hi all,

I've just uploaded an update to the Google Play store for the app which now includes support for android phones / handsets, as well as tablets. If you've already bought the app (and thanks if you have!), then it'll update automatically.

Damien

Hi Damien,

I assume I can't use it on my Kindle Fire?

Regards,

Ste

Hi Damien,

I assume I can't use it on my Kindle Fire?

Regards,

Ste

Hi Ste,

Not yet - however, I'm looking at the Amazon app store at the moment. The set up is a bit different, and the app might need to be changed for the Kindle Fire. Also, depending on what version you have, not all of them have GPS as far as I'm aware. I'll post here when I've found out some more information.

Damien

Further to my earlier post, the Kindle Fire isn't compatible with Google Maps. There is an Amazon version of Google Maps, but this would mean some fairly major changes to the app, as well as running two separate versions of it - one for Google, one for Amazon. I might come back and look at this in the future, but at the moment it's a no for the Kindle Fire - sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

At the risk of being told off for advertising (!), an update to the app has been uploaded to the play store.

There's now just under 1,000 locations, with over 200 photographs and descriptions. I've also added a 'Favourites' function to help with trip planning, and a navigation function (which does need a data connection - sorry!).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.footstepsofheroes.sommebattlefieldguide.sommebattlefieldguide

Damien