Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

177th Tunnelling Company

Doug Lewis

If anyone has access to the war diary, could I please ask if I could have the entry for 2/9/15.

Regards Doug

Doug

The war diary only mentions bullet points from the whole month. An attached table recording casualties merely records one man killed on the 2nd - nothing else. The attached schedule of work does not record any apparent reasons for this casualty.

Iain McHenry, who is on this forum, has written a book on the company called 'Subterranean Sappers' which is awaiting publication. This may include more detail - the war diary however is unable to supply this.

Kind regards

Colin

Thanks Colin

I'm researching the man killed on the 2nd, Robert Onions.

Regards Doug

Not sure how it will come out Doug, but this is what I have for Robert.

Link CWGC ONIONS R 102951 177TH TUNNELLING COY ROYAL ENGINEERS SDGW; Born;Bilston, Staffs. Living;Great Barr, Staffs. Enlisted;London Robert Onions, Sapper, Royal Engineers, 102951, 177th Tunn. Co. 02/09/1915 Theatre;France and Flanders Cause;Killed in Action Service record for 102951, Robert Onions, who attested at London on 22 July, 1915, a miner, aged 26 years of 138, Canal Row, Great Barr, Staffs, although effects were sent to Mrs J Onions of 138, Canal Row, Hamstead, Birmingham. Robert was 5'7" tall, 132lbs, NoK was his wife, Jane of 138, Canal Row, Great Barr. He and Jane Williams had married on June 5th 1910 at St Anne's Church, Willenhall, they had 2 daughters, Sarah, 23.9.10, Wolverhampton and Violet Jane, 27.12.12, Oldbury. He attested as a tunnellers mate and was killed in action on 2.9.15. He went out to France on 2.8.15. 1911 Census; Robert Onions, aged 21, a carter for John Fellows nut and bolt works, born in Bilston had been married to Jane for 9 months, they had 1 child, Sarah, 6 months, Tividale, Staffs. They were living at, Court No 7, Temple Street, Bilston.

Thanks for the information, it is appreciated.

Regards Doug