Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A little help finding some medals

Guest s.eisenberg

Guest s.eisenberg

Hi all, I'm posting in order to receive some help from the community in regards to my great granddads medals.

My granddad sold his father's medals some years ago and I'm seeking to retrieve them somehow. I'm trying to find out if he sold them to someone local that I can contact directly, or whether he auctioned them.

Can anyone give me advise about where they are often sold, except for eBay? (I don't think his medals are particularly valuable, except for sentimental value).

I have little information at the moment, apart from his name was Harry Frank Russell and I understand that he fought in both the First and Second World War in the Royal Navy aboard HMS Pegasus & HMS Clacton.

Any advise the community can offer will be appreciated and I will update when/if I get progress or more information,

Simon

Simon,

Would he have been born in West Ham, Essex 19/12/1898??

There is a Record at The National Archives for a Harry Frank Russell No. J32992. I'd guess it would show all the vessels he served on and his medal entitlement.

He had a MID in 'the other war' for minesweeping duties as a CPO.

Good luck

TEW

A WW1 trio of medals was issued to him when he was serving in HMS PEMBROKE (Chatham Barracks). Enlistment papers are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Guest s.eisenberg

Wow, thank you for the fast replies! Well, my mother found out that he was apparently born in Chingford, but that must be him. Same birth date, area is very close, and same service record.

I'm kind of embarressed I didn't think of the National Achieves, considering I just graduated reading History!

Horatio, am I able to get his enlistment papers from the Fleet Air Museum? I'm now double determinded to find and buy back his medals!

Thanks again for all your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simon - Welcome to the GWF.

Can I also suggest that you buy a good quality set of reproduction medals and get them named to your G grandfather, this will help you feel that you are making progress along with the information and research you can gather here. Finding medals may or may not happen and can take some wee while to find them, don't give up in your hunt. There are many places medals are traded, eBay and other on-line auctions, local auction houses, military fairs and of course privately between collectors.

My military interest in my G uncle started when I was sixteen and two years ago at the age of forty five I found my G uncles medals and death penny, they were less than 100km's from where I live. So you see these things are possible but they can take half a life time. I had a set of reproductions, there's nothing wrong with owning them. Don't forget you can collect other original items like buttons and insignia that your G grandfather would have worn also. I'm sure the chaps here can help you out with the type of insignia etc that your G grandfather would have worn.

Wendy

you could try Medal News or the British medal forum to find the medals

rather than buy repo medals purchase some real ones - in a frame you wont see the naming and they will be (IMHO) a better representation of his service

• 3 years later...

Wow - what a great find --

sadly it looks like the original poster has dropped off the forum.

I think I would pay the £500 if they were from my family.

that is for 10 medals so £50 each.

Edited by Martin Feledziak

You can send a pm to the op. There is no more that can be done by any of us. Thanks for caring.

Keith Roberts

I thought of that Keith but his avatar is "grayed out". So no link to him.

There are 5 Simon Eisenberg's on Facebook so not an easy task even if he is on FB.

Looks like he is going to mis-out on family treasure.

At the very least I have saved the screenshots of the medals on display.

Edited by Martin Feledziak