Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier's Tank Corps/RFA service

Guest ksalmon

Hi, I am trying to find out about the service history of James Webster, who was married to Elizabeth McIntosh Webster. He died of his wounds on 3/4/1918 and is buried in Seafield Cemetery in Edinburgh. I think he was born in 1884 and his service number was 200262. As far as I know he was serving in the Tank corps when he died, but my grandfather also thought he had been in the Royal Field Artillery. I'm not really sure where to look for information about him and it would be great if anyone could suggest how I could find out where he served, and with which regiment(s)? Thank you, Kate.

Hello kate and welcome to the Forum

I cant find James' service record so I am guessing.

His medal index card shows that he had served with the Royal Field Artillery but with a four figure service number which is somewhat unusual. I would guess that he served with the Motor machine Gun service

He deployed to France in 1915, which linked to the dates of other MMGS deployement, and his tank number (200262) is more akin to one of those who transferred in 1917 when the battalions were formed.

He was serving with the Tank Depot which may mean that he was on the insturctional staff or he had been wounded and was being treated in a UK hospital.

So, in summary I tthink he was a very early tank crewman.

Hopefully my good friend Simon (17Tankman) may have him on his data base

200262 Sgt James Webster Tank Corps, was formerly Sgt 1136 MMGS-RA and died of Tetanus on 3rd April 1918.