Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Saunders

brian whitehouse

I am trying to trace my grandfather - John Saunders - who served with 1/5 battalion South Staffs Regiment in WW1

His regimental number was 8808

He was born in Walsall in 1881 and joined up in August 1914 and survived the war

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I got the number from a document showing various items - I'm quite new to this I have to say - it also gives his Labour Corps number 567197 and some other information

Date of entry into France 05.03.1914 plus numbers relating to victory, British and 15 Star

Can you be more specific where your info is from? No point others telling you things you already know.

I think this is his medals card

The page on which it is shown shows 6 names and their medal records and it says Catalogue reference WO/372/17

Be careful with the service record linked in previous post as they refer to other Saunders as well.

I have looked for Him where you suggested but cannot find - perhaps I'm being dense - the 8808 regimental number for one Saunders is definitely not him

I really appreciate your advice on this matter.

my main reason for this search is that my mother had the middle name Zillebeke and this was given to her by her mother when she was born on Sept 4th 1915.

The name was chosen because my granddad was reported missing shortly before my mother was born and Zillebeke was named in the message of his disappearance

• Admin

Brian

johnboy has a tendency to ask questions without reading other people's posts. so I'd go with BFBSM's link to his servicerecords.

Glen

many thanks for the advice

Who has the war diaries for the 1/5 S.Staffs because I'd love to find out why Zillebeke is in my mothers name

Brian

Hi Mark

I went back to the records on ancestry and It certainly IS my grandfather. Thanks but I cannot understand the name of 'Albert'

He actually signs as John E Saunders

I now have to decide how much further I can go to find out where he was from March 1915 to September 1915

Thanks again

Brian

Brian

johnboy has a tendency to ask questions without reading other people's posts. so I'd go with BFBSM's link to his servicerecords.

Glen

Brian

Glen

As you can see Glen, the OP has also seen reference to another Saunders.

many thanks for the advice

Who has the war diaries for the 1/5 S.Staffs because I'd love to find out why Zillebeke is in my mothers name

Brian

The 1/5th South Staffs were in the area twice before 4th September 1915:

ARMAGH WOOD 1 mile E. of ZILLEBEKE

July 1915

6th

A bombing party of 3 Germans approached our lines near the left of the 6th South Staffords and were fired upon. Two men only were observed to return. A small party of the enemy were observed in front of A1 Trench apparently reconnoitring our line and were fired on.

Casualties: - No. 8105 Pte. W. Barlow wounded, 9948 Pte. H. Stott slightly wounded.

7th

Patrol went out along old communication trench in front of 50 Trench and got within 20 yards of enemy redoubt and heard the enemy moving about and also found enemy wire in bad condition at this point.

Casualties: - No. 7894 Pte. G. Dyke Killed, 8624 Pte. H. Carless wounded, 8372 Dr. A. White slightly wounded.

8th

Our snipers fired with effect on German working parties. At 10.30 p.m. Bombing party threw two bombs into enemy redoubt opposite 50 Trench also Rifle Grenades fired at same point at 11 p.m. Otherwise all quiet. 8913 Sgt. Bendall, S. accidentally wounded.

9th

Our Artillery shelled enemy trenches in front during the morning with shrapnel, work proceeding in enemy redoubt in front of Trench 50, working party dispersed by fire from our snipers. Enemy shelled A3 and A4 from 1 to 2 p.m.

Enemy trench opposite Trench 49 rifle grenaded at intervals during the night. Germans retaliated by grenading Trenches 50 and A1.

Casualties: - No. 8834 Pte. C. Jackson wounded.

10th

More enemy rifle fire than usual. 15 rifle grenades were fired into enemy trenches, 4 failed to explode. Enemy fired 6 rifle grenades, 3 burst short, 3 behind our lines. Patrol reports loose barbed wire in front of Enemy’s trench opposite 50. Enemy working party observed in Redoubt in front of 50, another Enemy working party behind their front line trenches opposite 49 fired on and dispersed. Our snipers doing good work. N.W. Wind.

No. 7594 Cpl. Marsh, G.H. wounded.

11th

Two enemy aeroplanes over our lines yesterday evening, and one from 3.45 to 4.20 a.m. this morning. Enemy fire 4 trench mortar shells at 50 about 8.30 p.m. damage slight. Retaliated with 16 rifle grenades, 7 failing to explode. Our guns also opened fire. Suspect enemy sapping towards 50 from new redoubt. Enemy have lowered parapet opposite A1 and A2. Snipers report accounting for a German Officer. Enemy shell burst over A5 Support about 10 a.m. inflicting 6 casualties.

Our Artillery shelled wood opposite A5. Enemy replied by shelling SANCTUARY WOOD.

Casualties: - Killed No. 7849 Pte. J. Perry, 9014 Pte. G. Fletcher. Wounded 9131 L/Cpl. W.H. Kendrick, 7983 Pte. H. Downs, 7822 Pte. L. Morris, 9403 Pte. O.H. Harriman, 9437 Pte. W.R. Thomas, 9304 Pte. G. Latham, 1380 Coy. S.M. C. Hawkins, 8197 Pte. G. Thorne, 9316 Pte. J. Booth.

September 1915

RAILWAY EMBANKMENT - ZILLEBEKE

1st

In Brigade Reserve. Two Companies (A and B) in the Railway dug-outs. One Company ‘C’ Rosenthal Chateau, one Company ‘D’ in Reserve to 6th North Staffords in Right Sector Trenches. R7 found by ‘A’ Company, R8 found by ‘B’ Company, R9 found by ‘C’ Company. Working and carrying parties found daily as ordered by the Brigade.

8492 Drummer Wheeler wounded.

2nd

Ditto.

Wounded, since died of wounds 8991 L/Cpl. Mann, P.E.

Wounded; 8938 Pte. Newbold A., 8525 Pte. Smith W., 8930 Pte. Bird J.A., 8236 L/Cpl. Jones A.

Slightly wounded, remained at duty; 8811 Pte. Dyke J., 9141 Pte. Wright G., 8961 Pte. smith H.E.

3rd

In Brigade Reserve, detail as for the 1st.

Killed; L/Cpl. Carpenter A. killed by a shell.

4th

In Brigade Reserve, detail as for the 1st.

Wounded; 9128 Pte. Pitcock E.

Roy

Roy

Many thanks for that information

My mother and grandmother spoke of my granddad being gassed at this time.

So, A question for you

Is it possible that the Hooge Fire attack was responsible for this and he was Sent to hospital OR to rest near Zillebeke Lake

Regards

Brian

Sorry Brian, I should have said there was a typical Ancestry transcription stuff-up when I posted. I think the transcriber couldn't spell John when they wrote Albert.

Mark

Regardless of Glens personal comment, I can assure you that I have followed every post and am glad my comment re service record has been confirmed. It does seem lazy work by Ancestry. It is these sort of things that sometimes makes researching harder than it should be.

The service record shows paperwork for John, Alfred , Charles and Edward Saunders with no New File covers so they all run together.

My comment was to be careful and read them properly to make sure you only take info from the sheets referring to John.

As an aside, his service record seems to be mainly about the sad death of his daughter. I wonder if some of his other papers have also been misfiled?

Hi

I am interested in John Edward Saunders, my grandfather.

Which of the 4 you named was mourning his duaghter

I know he had a 4 children including my mother but I don't know of any of them dying during the war

Len, my mom (Barbara Zillebeke), Ethel and Harry.

How do I access the service records of these 4 people you have named

Brian

They are on Ancestry listed under Albert, I think. I have not kept the link but try putting in John. I think his daughter died of memimgitis.

johnboy, you are correct. They are on Ancestry and are under Albert Edward Saunders, the link is in post 7 above.

Mark

Roy

Many thanks for that information

My mother and grandmother spoke of my granddad being gassed at this time.

So, A question for you

Is it possible that the Hooge Fire attack was responsible for this and he was Sent to hospital OR to rest near Zillebeke Lake

Regards

Brian

Brian,

I don't think so but PM me your email address

Roy

My grandfather also had a labour Corps number. Does this mean he was transferred to that section due to health problems - No longer A1

Hi

I can tell you that he served in "C" Company, 1/5th SSR and was wounded but stayed on duty on 11 April 1916.

(Not sure if that has been mentioned above or not - too lazy and in too much of a rush to read it all !!!!)

Regards,

Graeme

Hi many thanks for that information.

I did look at the service records and yes that is all about my grandfather under the name of Albert and I was astonished to learn of Nillie, who was my moms sister and of whom I did not know..

How do I pm someone - Help

Brian