Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did my great uncle die in the war? Help required

Foster88

Hi all, I've posted here before some months ago and now I'm trying to solve another mystery.

I'm trying to establish if one of my great uncles was killed during the Great War or if he survived, I've added his details below and I'd very much like to know if he survived?

Edward Onions

Lancashire Fusilliers

No. 48532

I have a copy of his MIC but that's all I know about him.

Thank you in advance.

Dan

he is not listed in Commonwealth war graves. medal cards also commonly show if a casualty [though not always].

he is not listed in Commonwealth war graves. medal cards also commonly show if a casualty [though not always].

There are no immediate service or casualty records showing up based on these details so it would be useful to have more information about him if you have any - rank, family, marriage, address, dates, second name or initial etc.

Mike

No record of death or a service record that I could find.

Thank for all your help.

He definitely served because I have his medals.

He was a PTE in the army but wether he married is another mystery, obviously finding that would tell me if he survived or died. He was one of a large family being my great grandmothers younger brother born 1899/1900 (unable to know exact year from census records).

I can only presume that he survived the war but I've never heard anything about him from older members of the family. My grandad being born in 1917 only 17 years after him would surely have known his uncle but it got me thinking because he never talked about him but did talk about his other uncles who were the brothers of Edward.

The only other information is that he was born in Wigan Lancashire and lived in Douglas IOM at the time of the war.

Maybe returned to IOM?

Where did you get his medals and what are they?

Could this be him

Edward Onions
addtomyalbum.png
pdf-save.gif
add_story_button.gif
share_save_171_16.png
Date/Epithet

4 May 1922

Category

Burials

Parish

Onchan ISLE OF MAN

Biography

22 years

Bit of a mystery and I've had too much red wine to solve it but -

There's a family tree on Ancestry (Walker & Swindell) - public, so accessible - which has his father as John Onions (1865-1937) and mother Esther (1866-1942)

1901 Census - aged 1 born in Wigan, Lancs, with siblings Jane, John, William, Arthur and Albert.

1911 Census - resident (at school) at Conchon, Isle of Man.

Which then says (or suggests) he died c. 1918 WW1

But here in the Isle of Man Burial records -

Name: Edward Onions

Birth Date: abt 1900

Burial Date: 4 May 1922

Burial Place: Onchan, Isle of Man

Biography: 22 years

Mike

ps johnboy got (or galloped) there faster!

Only 37mins. Perhaps you had trouble removing the cork!

Langdon, your research and information is correct. The Jane you mention from the 1911 census is my great grandmother, with parents John and Ester. I have been in touch with the owner/distant cousin of the Swindle family tree and her information on this branch is limited as it's not her direct line.

So he died in 1922, I never thought to check the burial records for IOM for some reason. Iwonder, does it say which cemetery or church?

Thanks again for all your help.