Remembered Today:

My Way

gilbo139

I,ve thought for a while about how I could mark the Centenary........just so happens that a friend volunteers for SSAFA and has told us about some of the needy cases she deals with, no WW1 vets now of course.......my wife said she,d like to do some sort of fund raising event and we came up with the idea of opening up the garden in our modest semi on the Sunday nearest the 4th August and sold tea ,coffee and cakes. We raised £280 for the charity in 5 hrs.......... So nothing particularly poignant perhaps but I,m pretty happy with that for now..........

I think that is an excellent way to commemorate those who died in the Great War. There was no land fit for heroes for the veterans of the 1st World War and to think many today are still neglected and ignored when they fall on hard times due to injuries to mind and body suffered during their time in the forces, is shameful. Well done both in raising money and awareness.

Thanks, it's surprising , probably given the modern conflicts and associated charities , how few people know of the work that SSAFA does!

That was a lovely idea, Gilbo, glad to hear it went well. Wished I'd thought of something like that.

I do a weekly community radio program. Today I'm writing my script for tomorrows show, which will feature Vaughan Williams, War poetry, and some stories about locals who fell. (8 men/boys in the very short street next to the school which hosts the station).