Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. H J M Stirling Nigeria Regiment

Eastindia

I would be grateful to receive any information. He does not appear on the CWGC site. His details are on the East India Club memorial.

Hi,

I think I may have a candidate : Harry James Graham Miller Stirling. Admittedly that's H. J. G. M. Stirling but he did serve with the Nigeria Regiment.

Medal Index card here : http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D5400392

Appointed temporary 2/Lt 29th April 1915 - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29337/supplement/10479

Found him as a casualty!

He is down as Harry James Graham Miller-Stirling - a double-barrelled name

Went to Keeble College, Oxford :

Entered College in Michaelmas Term, 1905. A member of the 1st VIII in Eights Week, 1906 - 1908. 2nd History and B.A., 1908. Assistant Master, Denstone, 1908 - 1909. Colonial C.S.: Asst. Resdt., North Nigeria, 1910 - 1913; Asst. D. O., Nigeria (N. Provs.), 1914 - 1917. Commenced service in April 1915. Lieutenant, 1st Battalion Nigeria Regiment, 1915 (French Soudan and German East Africa). Killed in action in German East Africa, 16 October 1917

Had connections with South Africa:

From http://www.southafricawargraves.org/search/print.php?id=16688

.Service Details

Date of Birth:
02/08/1886
Lieutenant
Unit:
attd. 1st Nigeria Regiment, W.A.F.F.
Regiment:
General List
Date of Death:
1917-10-16
Cause of Death:
Killed in action Commemoration
Cemetery:
DAR ES SALAAM BRITISH AND INDIAN MEMORIAL
Tanzania Additional Information
Son of Comdr. S. H. Miller Stirling (R.N.) and Mrs. Miller Stirlng, of Craigbarnet, Campsie Glen, Glasgow. ref. South African Roll of Honour 1914-1918

I hope that helps.

Matthew

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I've done some research on the Miller-Stirling family for the Strathblanefield website and community which recently published a book entitled 'A Village Remembers' to commemorate the 27 men on the Strathblane War Memorial. Both Harry and his brother Eddie (who was killed in Mesopotamia) get a mention in the final chapter, which covers those who were not on the memorial but are commemorated on the Roll of Honour or in the graveyard. There is a large family plot in the churchyard and there is a headstone dedicated to them.

Harry was killed at the Battle of Mahiwa (present day Tanzania) and I was fortunate to receive some of his original letters home from both French Niger and East Africa.

There was another brother Arthur, who was a POW at Danholm Camp, Straslund, and island off Germany, who survived the war.

A fascinating family.

Glad to assist with your research. Let me know what you require.

Rob

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

What wonderful responses. Many thanks to you all for so much information. I have not been on the website for a while, as the production of the Memorial book had to go ahead. This was the first name I put out on this site which has got a response otherwise I have relied on my own researches and existing entries on this website revealed via the Internet. There will be an updated version of the Memorial Book produced in due course as I endeavour to fill in the gaps. Meanwhile the memorial book is on permanent display in the reception of the East India Club with a different page being shown each day. When in London I would be pleased to show it to any of you, or I could send by email a copy of it but it is a hefty download.