Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rare WW1 Photo

Crash

I have a high resolution scan of this photo, courtesy of a relative. It comes from his grandfather's album. I don't have the skills, nor the software to correct the damge to the image. I have it scanned in 1200 dpi and 2400 dpi .tif format. Anyone with the skills for the task interested in taking it on? I would have to snail mail a CD as my connection is dialup modem. VBR

Crash

I should have said that I don't think this photograph is as rare as you think it is, having appeared in print, though I can't remember where I've seen it before.

Mike

Is this Ok, may need further tweaking on brightness and contrast for print purposes. Trial and error on that bit depending on printer and paper.

Mike

Like you, I knew I'd seen the photo before somewhere. However, a search of the potentially relevant books proved fruitless. A cropped edition of the photo is on the internet and appears, with a brief note, on the Rosebud WWI and Early Aviation Image Archive at: http://204.83.160.230/archive/scheffer/191....Jasta10_kh.jpg

Gareth

Gareth,

I know Rod has it on his site, but I just have this feeling I've seen it elsewhere. It certainly does not appear in September Evening, which is where it would be most expected - first place I looked!!

Mike

Gentlemen:

The link to the Rosebud's site is a scan of this actual picture that Rod cleaned up and posted. I have researched whether other copies of this picture are in existence and so far have come across one in Peter Gross' collection. Its shown on page 51 of Paul Leaman's 'Fokker Dr.1 Triplane' book. The reason I felt this pic. was rare is that apart from the water damage, (1) it is very clear and detailed, (2) it has Voss' signature on it, (3) the provenance of the photo, it comes from an album of a JG1 pilot that was an OzbV in Jasta 11. BTW thanks to the members that enhanced the photo. Looks great! Looking for someone to mail a high resolution scan to that would like to clean it up as I want to print this photo in large format to display on my wall. VBR

Crash

I knew I had seen it before...

post-25-1098554244.jpg

• 2 weeks later...