Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5 Platoon, 1/6th South Staffords - September 1916

AndrewThornton

I purchased a photograph about ten years about in a shop in Oxford for £1 (sadly, these days are long gone!). All of the soldiers on the photo are named and over the years I have been able to trace information on a few of them. However, I was wondering if anyone out there recognises any names amongst 5 Platoon and can add anything else to what I have found out:

5 Platoon, “B” Company

1/6th Battalion The South Staffordshire Regiment

September 1916

TOP ROW (From Left to Right):

Private Constable

240666 Private (later Lance-Corporal) Ernest Gregory (Wolverhampton)

Ernest Gregory died of wounds on 10th May 1918 and is buried at Etaples Military Cemetery (Plot LXVII, Row B, Grave 16). He was 26 years old at the time of his death. Son of Mr and Mrs Joseph Gregory.

31053 Private Joseph Allmark (West Bromwich)

Joseph Allmark died of wounds on 2nd July 1917 and is buried at Fosse 10 Communal Cemetery in Sains-en-Gohelle (Plot I, Row D, Grave 18).

Private Cobley

240485 Private (later Sergeant) S. H. Shinton (Wolverhampton)

Awarded the Meritous Service Medal in 1918. Wounded 13th October 1915 at the Hohenzollern Redoubt.

Private C. Taylor

Private Fownes

Private Brookes

Private Lancaster

Private Davis

3276 Private Seth Allcock (Short Heath, Wolverhampton)

Seth Allcock was killed on 13th December 1916, aged 19. He is buried at Bienvillers Military Cemetery (Plot III, Row D, Grave 8). His brother, 7670 Private Joseph Allcock, served with “D” Company of the 1/5th South Staffords. He was killed in the assault on the Hohenzollern Redoubt on 13th October 1915 and is commemorated on the Loos Memorial to the Missing. Sons of Thomas and Phoebe Maria Allcock, of Coltham Road, Short Heath.

202040 Private John Moore Thompson (West Bromwich)

Died of wounds at Rouen on 10th October 1918, aged 32. He is buried at St. Sever Cemetery Extension (Grave Reference S. II. Q. 15). Son of Joseph and Annie Thompson of West Bromwich; husband of Mette Thompson of 63 Walsall Street, West Bromwich.

SECOND ROW:

Private Baggott

5242/241728 Private Charles Bradshaw (Lower Gornal)

Died of Wounds on 4th July 1917, aged 30. Buried at Choques Military Cemetery (Plot I, Row L, Grave 2). Son of William Henry and Charlotte Henrietta Bradshaw.

Private Hanlock

242626 Private Charles Heaton (Handsworth)

Killed in action on 1st July 1917. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the Missing.

Private Molineux

242516 Private William Henry Whittingham (West Bromwich)

Killed in action on 1st July 1917, aged 39. Son of the late John and Mary Whittingham, of 3D Sams Lane, West Bromwich. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the Missing. William Whittingham worked as a painter and decorator prior to his enlistment.

Private A. Taylor

Private R. Taylor

Private Catchpole

242505 Private Thomas Turner (Penkridge)

Died on 23rd July 1917, aged 25. Husband of Alice May Jones (formerly Turner), of Yew Tree House, Boscomore, Penkridge. Buried at Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez (Plot VII, Row J, Grave 11).

Private Reece

Private Simmons

THIRD ROW:

Private Wilson – Sniper

Private Webb

8344/200242 Lance-Corporal John Kendrick (Walsall)

Lived at 37 Brace Street, Walsall, and worked as tube finisher at Gill and Russell Ltd. He joined the 5th South Staffords in 1912 and arrived in France on 5th March 1915 with “C” Company of the 1/5th Battalion. He was wounded on 13th October 1915, and again on 11th June 1916. He was posted to the 1/6th Battalion during August 1916. John Kendrick died of wounds at No. 7 Casualty Clearing Station on 2nd July 1917 and is buried at Neoux-les-Mines Communal Cemetery (Plot II, Row D, Grave 19).

2129/240222 Sergeant William Washington (Wolverhampton)

Arrived in France on 25th June 1915. Sergeant Washington was awarded the Military Medal for his actions during a trench raid on German positions at Berles-au-Bois on the night of 25th/26th October 1916. He was demobilised on 26th April 1919.

Second-Lieutenant (later Captain) Sidney McGowan

Joined the 1/6th Battalion in July 1916 after Gommecourt from the 2/5th Battalion, The King’s Own Scottish Borderers. He was awarded the Military Cross for his leadership during a trench raid on German positions at Berles-au-Bois on the night of 2nd-3rd October 1916. He later transferred to the 1/6th North Staffords and was killed during that battalion’s attack on “Nash Alley”, near Lievin, on 24th May 1917 while in command of “C” Company. He is commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the Missing.

242561 Lance-Corporal (later Lance-Sergeant) Thomas Baker (Walsall)

Thomas Baker lived at 18 Rowland Street in Walsall and worked as a whip maker for Goddards in Farrington Street before he joined the army in February 1914. Killed in action at “Route “A” Keep” at Givenchy on 21st April 1918, aged 25. He is commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the Missing.

Lance-Corporal Astbury

Private Lloyd – Stretcher Bearer

FRONT ROW:

Private Wardle

Private Weyman

8296/242492 Lance-Corporal Fred Mills (Walsall)

Fred Mills was a regular soldier and joined the South Staffordshire Regiment in 1908. He landed in France with the 2nd Battalion on 14th August 1914. During 1915, he was invalided home after suffering paralysis to his face and shell-shock. He was posted to the 1/6th Battalion in July 1916, after Gommecourt. Fred Mills was wounded on 27th May 1917 and was evacuated to England. He died of pneumonia on 15th June 1917 at Ampton Hall Hospital near Bury St Edmunds. He is buried in Ryecroft Cemetery in Walsall (Grave Reference 7. 3. 607). His parents lived at 67, Sheriden Street in Pleck, while his wife and children lived at 62, Hatherton Street.

Private Knowles – Lewis Gunner

Private Leonard

240220 Private James Evans (Heath Town, Wolverhampton)

James Evans died on 18th October 1918. He is buried at Tourgeville Military Cemetery (Plot IV, Row E, Grave 2). Son of Emma Evans of 2, Bennett’s Buildings, Prestwood Road, Heath Town.

I don't have a copy of the photo in a format that can be attached to this posting but I can forward it to anyone if they want to have a look.

Here's hoping!

Andrew

I know its a long shot, but, you wouldn't have a group photo of men from the 1/5th South Staffs with a Pte J Witsey.

He was my nan's brother who was killed and no photograph exists of him in the family.

Terry

Graeme

Send me your address and I will put a scan of the photo, together with the info on the soldiers pictured, in the post to you.

Terry

I haven't got a photo of Private Witsey but I can have a look at my copy of the 1/5th South Stafford's Nominal Roll to see if he is mentioned.

Cheers

Andrew

• 8 years later...
Guest martyn1980

Andrew / Graeme.

I have dropped you both an email in the hope that you still have a copy of the discussed photo available.

Recently my uncle gave me some medals belonging to my great grandfather. When I did some research into them I discovered that he had two brothers who were sadly killed during WW1 - they were Seth & Joseph Allcock.

I was really hoping that you still had the photo available and could pass it on as there are no family photos which we have showing Seth or Joseph.

Please get in touch, Martyn Allcock

• 1 month later...

Dear Andrew,

Would it be possible to have a copy of the photo as i am interested in service men

who came from Penkridge or served in the 5th South Staffs Regt.

Regards,

Cliff

• 2 years later...

Andrew, I am currently reseraching Private 5242 Charles Bradshaw, for a centenery project from my local RBL, If a copy of the above photograph is still available i would be mighty grateful, my email is hough611@btinternet.com , quality is no problem as i am able to enhance same.

Many thanks

Stan Hough.

• 3 years later...

Andrew, 

James Evans was my Uncle... I would like a copy of the photo if anyone on here has it.  My email is p.beatty51@gmail.com.  Id be happy to share any information i have and would be happy to here from anyone on here that could share anything with me.

Many Thanks, 

Paul Beatty

• 1 year later...
On 30/04/2003 at 14:55, AndrewThornton said:

I purchased a photograph about ten years about in a shop in Oxford for £1 (sadly, these days are long gone!). All of the soldiers on the photo are named and over the years I have been able to trace information on a few of them. However, I was wondering if anyone out there recognises any names amongst 5 Platoon and can add anything else to what I have found out:

5 Platoon, “B” Company

1/6th Battalion The South Staffordshire Regiment

September 1916

TOP ROW (From Left to Right):

Private Constable

240666 Private (later Lance-Corporal) Ernest Gregory (Wolverhampton)

Ernest Gregory died of wounds on 10th May 1918 and is buried at Etaples Military Cemetery (Plot LXVII, Row B, Grave 16). He was 26 years old at the time of his death. Son of Mr and Mrs Joseph Gregory.

31053 Private Joseph Allmark (West Bromwich)

Joseph Allmark died of wounds on 2nd July 1917 and is buried at Fosse 10 Communal Cemetery in Sains-en-Gohelle (Plot I, Row D, Grave 18).

Private Cobley

240485 Private (later Sergeant) S. H. Shinton (Wolverhampton)

Awarded the Meritous Service Medal in 1918. Wounded 13th October 1915 at the Hohenzollern Redoubt.

Private C. Taylor

Private Fownes

Private Brookes

Private Lancaster

Private Davis

3276 Private Seth Allcock (Short Heath, Wolverhampton)

Seth Allcock was killed on 13th December 1916, aged 19. He is buried at Bienvillers Military Cemetery (Plot III, Row D, Grave 8). His brother, 7670 Private Joseph Allcock, served with “D” Company of the 1/5th South Staffords. He was killed in the assault on the Hohenzollern Redoubt on 13th October 1915 and is commemorated on the Loos Memorial to the Missing. Sons of Thomas and Phoebe Maria Allcock, of Coltham Road, Short Heath.

202040 Private John Moore Thompson (West Bromwich)

Died of wounds at Rouen on 10th October 1918, aged 32. He is buried at St. Sever Cemetery Extension (Grave Reference S. II. Q. 15). Son of Joseph and Annie Thompson of West Bromwich; husband of Mette Thompson of 63 Walsall Street, West Bromwich.

SECOND ROW:

Private Baggott

5242/241728 Private Charles Bradshaw (Lower Gornal)

Died of Wounds on 4th July 1917, aged 30. Buried at Choques Military Cemetery (Plot I, Row L, Grave 2). Son of William Henry and Charlotte Henrietta Bradshaw.

Private Hanlock

242626 Private Charles Heaton (Handsworth)

Killed in action on 1st July 1917. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the Missing.

Private Molineux

242516 Private William Henry Whittingham (West Bromwich)

Killed in action on 1st July 1917, aged 39. Son of the late John and Mary Whittingham, of 3D Sams Lane, West Bromwich. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the Missing. William Whittingham worked as a painter and decorator prior to his enlistment.

Private A. Taylor

Private R. Taylor

Private Catchpole

242505 Private Thomas Turner (Penkridge)

Died on 23rd July 1917, aged 25. Husband of Alice May Jones (formerly Turner), of Yew Tree House, Boscomore, Penkridge. Buried at Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez (Plot VII, Row J, Grave 11).

Private Reece

Private Simmons

THIRD ROW:

Private Wilson – Sniper

Private Webb

8344/200242 Lance-Corporal John Kendrick (Walsall)

Lived at 37 Brace Street, Walsall, and worked as tube finisher at Gill and Russell Ltd. He joined the 5th South Staffords in 1912 and arrived in France on 5th March 1915 with “C” Company of the 1/5th Battalion. He was wounded on 13th October 1915, and again on 11th June 1916. He was posted to the 1/6th Battalion during August 1916. John Kendrick died of wounds at No. 7 Casualty Clearing Station on 2nd July 1917 and is buried at Neoux-les-Mines Communal Cemetery (Plot II, Row D, Grave 19).

2129/240222 Sergeant William Washington (Wolverhampton)

Arrived in France on 25th June 1915. Sergeant Washington was awarded the Military Medal for his actions during a trench raid on German positions at Berles-au-Bois on the night of 25th/26th October 1916. He was demobilised on 26th April 1919.

Second-Lieutenant (later Captain) Sidney McGowan

Joined the 1/6th Battalion in July 1916 after Gommecourt from the 2/5th Battalion, The King’s Own Scottish Borderers. He was awarded the Military Cross for his leadership during a trench raid on German positions at Berles-au-Bois on the night of 2nd-3rd October 1916. He later transferred to the 1/6th North Staffords and was killed during that battalion’s attack on “Nash Alley”, near Lievin, on 24th May 1917 while in command of “C” Company. He is commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the Missing.

242561 Lance-Corporal (later Lance-Sergeant) Thomas Baker (Walsall)

Thomas Baker lived at 18 Rowland Street in Walsall and worked as a whip maker for Goddards in Farrington Street before he joined the army in February 1914. Killed in action at “Route “A” Keep” at Givenchy on 21st April 1918, aged 25. He is commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the Missing.

Lance-Corporal Astbury

Private Lloyd – Stretcher Bearer

FRONT ROW:

Private Wardle

Private Weyman

8296/242492 Lance-Corporal Fred Mills (Walsall)

Fred Mills was a regular soldier and joined the South Staffordshire Regiment in 1908. He landed in France with the 2nd Battalion on 14th August 1914. During 1915, he was invalided home after suffering paralysis to his face and shell-shock. He was posted to the 1/6th Battalion in July 1916, after Gommecourt. Fred Mills was wounded on 27th May 1917 and was evacuated to England. He died of pneumonia on 15th June 1917 at Ampton Hall Hospital near Bury St Edmunds. He is buried in Ryecroft Cemetery in Walsall (Grave Reference 7. 3. 607). His parents lived at 67, Sheriden Street in Pleck, while his wife and children lived at 62, Hatherton Street.

Private Knowles – Lewis Gunner

Private Leonard

240220 Private James Evans (Heath Town, Wolverhampton)

James Evans died on 18th October 1918. He is buried at Tourgeville Military Cemetery (Plot IV, Row E, Grave 2). Son of Emma Evans of 2, Bennett’s Buildings, Prestwood Road, Heath Town.

I don't have a copy of the photo in a format that can be attached to this posting but I can forward it to anyone if they want to have a look.

Here's hoping!

Here is a photo of Sidney McGowan MC and some info.

Would love to see the photo

Regards

Ritchie

Sidney McGowan.jpg

de_ruvignys_vol_4-de_ruv_vol4_pg_0120.jpg

I eventually found him (Captain Sidney McGowan) mentioned in the War Diaries..

Prince of Wales`s (North Staffordshire) 1st 6th Battn 27th May 1917 Appendix IV  (1).jpg

Prince of Wales`s (North Staffordshire) 1st 6th Battn 27th May 1917 Appendix IV  (2).jpg

Prince of Wales`s (North Staffordshire) 1st 6th Battn 27th May 1917 Appendix IV  (3).jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi Andrew- 242516 Private William Henry Whittingham (West Bromwich) was my grandfather's brother and business partner in their decorating business (PHOTO ATTACHED). If it's still possible to get a copy of your photo I would love to pass it on to my grandson for his future history projects (My email is njduckworth@hotmail.co.uk).

Here's hoping

Norman Duckworth

864946926_WHWHITTINGHAM(LEFT)WITHBROTHERJOHN.jpg.feb9dc5887619dae368e846331d1bf1e.jpg

On 13/05/2021 at 01:23, Norman Duckworth said:

Hi Andrew- 242516 Private William Henry Whittingham (West Bromwich) was my grandfather's brother and business partner in their decorating business (PHOTO ATTACHED). If it's still possible to get a copy of your photo I would love to pass it on to my grandson for his future history projects (My email is njduckworth@hotmail.co.uk).

Here's hoping

Norman Duckworth

W H WHITTINGHAM (LEFT) WITH BROTHER JOHN.jpg

I can do one better, Norman. Here is a photograph of William that I have, plus another of when I visited the Arras Memorial in March 2018.

received_10216028571852595.jpeg.12f107da8cb11dabbc701de22176dc9d.jpeg

1906959559_19667630_814687408698565_6376830234691071081_o(1).jpg.5884681063c08aa9ad721b9e8368acc3.jpg

@AndrewThornton and others

If you haven't already looked there the [relatively newly-released] pension cards at WFA/ Fold3 are a likely good source of info that may not have been previously uncovered.

:-) M

Thank you so much for responding so positively. I’m truly thrilled to see the platoon photo and also the entry on the Arras Memorial. I had in fact already got the individual photo of William Henry Whittingham (My Mum always called him Uncle Will- he had a step brother John William Whittingham who she called Uncle Bill- he also served in the trenches I believe).  I’ve attached other photos of WHW which you may not have. One of my treasured possessions is a wooden Lead Beater inscribed with his initials which he would have used in the course of his trade fixing lead roofs in West Bromwich.  As you say he was born in Ironbridge in 1878, his father John having worked there as a coal miner since at least the age of 12. Tragically his father died aged 35 when WHW was about 4 or 5 and his mother settled with her brother in law, William Whittingham who had also lost his wife around the same time, uniting both families. The family including WHW were all strong Methodists in West Bromwich.

Norman Duckworth

DSCF2492.JPG.1756d21beb34ea025ff09e8579109528.JPG

269534662_1910estWilliamHenryWhittingham.jpg.0cf844fefd5cdf585dc687cc9a2e44fa.jpg

1743358998_1916WilliamHenryWhittingham.jpg.e06e1dbfee9c06c918012d574407552f.jpg

Thank you for sharing those photographs of William, Norman. For over 25 years now, ever since I came across the two photos in the junkshop in Oxford, he has remained one of the soldiers whom I always commemorate the anniversary on which he died. 

Thanks again Andrew- thought you might like to see what must probably have been WHW's last communication.

Norman Duckworth

929309024_WW1FieldservicecardfromWHWhittinghamtohisMum190617-hewaskilled12dayslater.jpg.93591f5f73a80c0eb10fcb0ea531dfb6.jpg

1087875560_WW1FieldservicecardfromWHWhittinghamtohisMum190617-hewaskilled12dayslater-1.jpg.ef5f78bbe7a138a38b33552c4f8db993.jpg