Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red Cross records to go online 4 August

David_Underdown

It also would be handy to have a tool to work the other way around,

For local history purposes, I am researching the bigger picture.

I found references that on the 11th november, about 300 British POW's where released near my hometown.

Also, my old school was a transit camp for British and Portuguese soldiers, probably during the Spring Offensive,

And in a nearby quarry, it is rumoured that Italian and Russian POW's were put to work.

On the other side of the front, some German soldiers where taken prisoner those last days of the war near my hometown.

For research purposes, it could be handy to know which regiments they belonged to.

I hope an index of those different archives and numbers with dates and locations will be released to the public,

I have the impression that the ICRC has this kind of tool, because they where able to pinpoint dates in records

when asked.

That way, also individual persons can be found easier if not found by name.

The rest of the site works as a glove.

In the records which have already been released I was able to find almost all the Commonwealth

and French soldiers who died as POW's in one of the two kriegslazaretten located in Grammont.

kudos for the ICRC for doing this!

Your post is very interesting. I have a copy of a personal diary from a man who spent his captivity behind the lines (from March 1918) to his release. He and many others with him never reached Germany although they were moved around to different locations in France and Belgium. He frequently mentions the Portuguese and around 400 Portuguese prisoners being with them initially. I wonder if the locations he gives ties in with where you are located and your area of research?

• 1 month later...

Sorry, haven't logged in for a while and just noticed the 20 new Notifications on this thread!!

Many thanks to everyone for there response on Herman Jeeteman. Remarkable to be able to find out such things after all these years. Looking forward to learning as much as I can about the Knockaloe Camp and life lived there. Also more to learn about his life now that the Red Cross have informed me a came from Bischofferode, Sachsen. They also indicated there will be more information to come in the future possibly about Herman.

Again, thanks for all the help folks. Regards - Maria

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I have my first confirmed family member/POW in the ICRC records: Arnold Mamlok. Here's one of his two cards:

post-32240-0-65640000-1422479076_thumb.j

I was able to find the prisoner list (P49828) referenced on this card, but I am not sure if I am missing something. There is nothing on the prisoner list indicating where he was being held...suggestions?

I am also not sure what the scribble on the bottom means...is that the date the family was notified he was a POW, or the date of his release, or something else entirely?

Thanks,

-Daniel

PS, Arnold survived the war, in case you were worried! :)

Hi all,

I have my first confirmed family member/POW in the ICRC records: Arnold Mamlok. Here's one of his two cards:

attachicon.gifC_G1_D_15_01_0882_0947_0.JPG

I was able to find the prisoner list (P49828) referenced on this card, but I am not sure if I am missing something. There is nothing on the prisoner list indicating where he was being held...suggestions?

I am also not sure what the scribble on the bottom means...is that the date the family was notified he was a POW, or the date of his release, or something else entirely?

Thanks,

-Daniel

PS, Arnold survived the war, in case you were worried! :)

Hi Daniel, was there nothing written at the top of the sheet with his name on or, the one before that? The current location has been either typed or handwritten at the top of the other POW lists I have seen and if it isn't clear then it might be clearer on the preceding page.

Hi Daniel, was there nothing written at the top of the sheet with his name on or, the one before that? The current location has been either typed or handwritten at the top of the other POW lists I have seen and if it isn't clear then it might be clearer on the preceding page.

Hi,

Here's the other card....not much else to go on! :)

post-32240-0-29852000-1422480604_thumb.j

-Daniel

EDIT, ah, you are referring to the prisoner list rather than the card...I will look back on previous pages and see if I find anything.

All that is typed at the top of the page he appears on is the rather cryptic "R.M."

The different sections just indicate that these are lists of German soldiers captured in a certain date range in a certain region of France. His section is for German soldiers captured between 31 Aug - 16 Oct in the region of Aisne.

-Daniel

P49828 has Laundau Pfalz written at the top of the page. Glad Arnold made it :)

P49828 has Laundau Pfalz written at the top of the page. Glad Arnold made it :)

I am so confused! :)

I am looking at the page now and there is no notation on the page he is listed on. Where did you find it?

-Daniel

I'm confused too. I don't find the name I just use any name and the reference number - it still gets you there. Am I looking at civilians or military? and am I using the French or English database? I used military/French initially but perhaps I'm looking at the wrong bit. Give a pointer please :D

I'm confused too. I don't find the name I just use any name and the reference number - it still gets you there. Am I looking at civilians or military? and am I using the French or English database? I used military/French initially but perhaps I'm looking at the wrong bit. Give a pointer please :D

I am using the German Army/Military filter on the English version of the site, using his last name (Mamlok) as the search term. I had to scroll through quite a bit to find him. I found the two cards, and then using the instructions in this thread, 'jumped' to the prisoner list.

Ah I have him now!

Ooooh I hate it when they are on their side! Scrolling up to page 49825 shows date and place captured at the top of the page. I'm on a pretty small screen. I am wondering if you continue to scroll if you will come to the location where they are being held?

I am using the German Army/Military filter on the English version of the site, using his last name (Mamlok) as the search term. I had to scroll through quite a bit to find him. I found the two cards, and then using the instructions in this thread, 'jumped' to the prisoner list.

Sorry Daniel, I was just posting to say I had him at the same time as you were telling me where to look. I tried posting again and everything crashed on me. I'm guessing I'm okay again now. I lost all that I had open at the time. If these work the same way as the German military/civilian records, they are copied from books. You may have to go some way back to figure out what is going on but keep an eye on the tops of the pages. Perhaps the French organised their books into camps. Looks like captured L'Aisne but as I said earlier my screen on this thing is too small for my eyes and the ICRC site doesn't zoom well on a tablet.

I have to go out with the dog who is beside himself because we have just had a downfall of the white stuff! I'll check back in the morning. It makes a refreshing change looking at the other side of the fence in the POW records.

Well, doesn't this just figure. From Gedenkbuch:

Mamlok, Arnold

born on 10th July 1898 in Berlin / - / Stadt Berlin
resident of Berlin

Deportation destination:
from Berlin
24th October 1941, Litzmannstadt (Lodz), ghetto

:poppy: :poppy: :poppy:

Hi,

Here's the other card....not much else to go on! :)

attachicon.gifC_G1_D_15_01_0882_0946_0.JPG

Hi all,

So, I want to make sure I am understanding everything I am seeing on this card...am I missing anything?

Soldier's name: Arnold Mamlok

Soldier

IR 423, 3rd Kompagnie

Mle 1140 stands for/refers to Matricule or Serial (Prisoner Number? Or is this his personal soldier number assigned by the Prussian Army?) Number 1140

10 Jul 1898 is his DOB

P49828 is the reference number for the prisoner list in which Arnold appears

The only thing I am not sure about is the 'Y' at the bottom right...what meaning does this have? Anyone know?

-Daniel

Anybody got any recommendations for searching Mc & Mac surnames, or any ideas as to how the Germans may have recorded them in a different form ?

Tom

Anybody got any recommendations for searching Mc & Mac surnames, or any ideas as to how the Germans may have recorded them in a different form ?

Tom

Tom, I've done a few. They have lumped the Mc and Mac together. If you put in the name, a list appears on the left and if you click on that, you will see an alphabetical drop down. Select the correct alphabetical area you would expect to find him and then scroll down the same column list on the left until you find his regiment.

Sorry, I should have said they are lumped together under Mac

Tom

Tom, off the topic of this thread I know, but I will post something on the Inchy thread now. Please take a look if you get the chance.

..., I should have said they are lumped together under Mac

"Seaforth" - simple error - I was slightly confused by the way the regiment was listed. I've now found the man's card and ..... - another "tragedy" :( Absolutely the correct man, but the card is simply recording that his father had made enquiries. There are no linked documents though the card does show these "codes" > A44572 and A47646

Also this >

post-108-0-68280500-1422713375_thumb.jpg

Tom, off the topic of this thread I know, but I will post something on the Inchy thread now. Please take a look if you get the chance.

I've rec'd your mail and will reply shortly.

Tom

• 7 months later...