Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red Cross records to go online 4 August

David_Underdown

I've just had a look at 41361 for you and again by comparing to my own records I think this is a sort of register for Heilsberg POW camp, I'm waiting for a translation of the headings to be sent to me but I think this tells you he was captured at Chemen des dames on the 27th of May 18 (I'm guessing the v might be a roman numeral for 5). His date and place of birth was 12/4/1892 at Gothill, which I assume is near Hull.

The Allg. Schwache could be very weak. Schwache means weak according to google translate so Allg could be an abbreviation for very or extremely or something like that.

V.D. front is in the space on my record that said he had been captured in the field so this could be captured at the front.

The Allg. Schwache could be very weak. Schwache means weak according to google translate so Allg could be an abbreviation for very or extremely or something like that.

'Allg(emeine) Schwäche' means 'general debility'.

Thanks everyone for your help with this. I'm imagining this means he was described as suffering from complete exhaustion/debility when captured. 'Gotkill' is their rendition of Goxhill, a small hamlet near Hornsea in E Yorkshire. Really good to be able to access these records, especially as I'm currently spending a week on the Chemin de Dames where he was captured!

When you get on to the section after entering the "PA" reference numbers, on the right hand side there is a glossary (pdf file) which translates many of the German words used in the files.

Mick.

Hi, I have been waiting for years to get access to POW information on Andrew Duffy, 6th Connaught Rangers (4035). I can find a Red Cross POW record for him, PA 28802, but if I am being absolutely honest, I'm a bit disappointed in the info available. His name and regiment, his place of birth and his home address in Belfast(all of which I already knew). Is Ronsey the name of the camp he was held in?What does GEM indicate? Is PA 28802 the only reference number linked to him or am I missing something? I know this post makes me sound very ungrateful, but it's just the disappointment after the anticipation of lots of new facts and info.

Thanks

Paul.

Hi Paul,

According to the pdf on the site GEM is the abbreviation for a rank of Private.

If his entry is laid out the same as mine Ronsey 21.3.18 is his place and date of capture which coincidentally is the same date as mine, the first day of the spring offensive.

Unfortunately I think that is the only information they have. It's certainly the only thing that index card makes reference to.

From reading other peoples posts on her it may be worth seeing if you can find anything else by trying variations on the spelling of his name.

Michael

Added:

Just a thought but I think the name of the POW camp may be hand written at the top of the page (is it Guestion or Guistion) - again that is what they have done on my record and this appears to be written in the same two places.

Edited by Shiny

Finally today I have managed to open the two PA references for my wifes granddad. he was captured 1/8/1917 near Ypres. The page header says Limburg, and we now know his date of birth as well.

This as bugged me for 3/4 years.

Hi Michael, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I will try to find out more about the locations given for his place of capture and the camp he was held in. I will also try using variations of his surname to see if I find any more PA references. Thanks again.

Paul.

Hi,

Looks like they are updating the site regularly. My Boath ggranddad is now in as is all the other Booth records.

Fantastic to get his records. It looks like he was at three camps from April 1917 owards, Limburg, Friedrichsfeld and Parchim.

Since he was in the Royal Scots 15th battalion A company which was fighting at Roeux on the 28th of April 1917, for his Red Cross lists to say he was captured at Oppy Wood, it is a bit of a puzzle.

Cheers,

Gordon

Has anyone pray tell stumbled across Ernst or Martin Feuchtwanger? I can find neither hide nor hair of either of them. The spelling variations and possible ways they may have ended up grouped are sort of mind-blowing.

Daniel

Hi, I have been waiting for years to get access to POW information on Andrew Duffy, 6th Connaught Rangers (4035). I can find a Red Cross POW record for him, PA 28802, but if I am being absolutely honest, I'm a bit disappointed in the info available. His name and regiment, his place of birth and his home address in Belfast(all of which I already knew). Is Ronsey the name of the camp he was held in?What does GEM indicate? Is PA 28802 the only reference number linked to him or am I missing something? I know this post makes me sound very ungrateful, but it's just the disappointment after the anticipation of lots of new facts and info.

Thanks

Paul.

Ronsey = Le Ronssoy? I too am gutted that all I got were details I already had!

Hi KGB, thanks for replying and cheers for the additional piece of information. Every little bit helps!

I note one of your relatives, Malachy Furey(RIP),died at Neuve Chapelle. You may already be aware of this, but I watched a programme the other night(BBC, I think) dealing with the role of Indian and African soldiers in the first world war. The programme dealt in detail with the battle at Neuve Chapelle. If you missed it, I'm sure you can watch it on catch-up tv or BBC i-player.

Thanks again.

Paul.

Hi KGB, thanks for replying and cheers for the additional piece of information. Every little bit helps!

I note one of your relatives, Malachy Furey(RIP),died at Neuve Chapelle. You may already be aware of this, but I watched a programme the other night(BBC, I think) dealing with the role of Indian and African soldiers in the first world war. The programme dealt in detail with the battle at Neuve Chapelle. If you missed it, I'm sure you can watch it on catch-up tv or BBC i-player.

Thanks again.

Paul.

Hi Paul, I had to walk past Neuve Chapelle and the Indian monument and graves. A lot of talk at present from the government on inclusivity. They want more Africans involved in 1914-2014.

The list for Andrew Duffy is basically saying he was at Gustrow on 10th July 1918 having been captured at Ronsoy on 21st March 1918. Gustrow is in northern Germany. He would been repatriated either via neutral Holland or, possibly more likely, Denmark (known as the Danish Scheme) ( http://www.thedanishscheme.co.uk/ )

Steve.

Have found a card for Pte F Feston who is listed as wounded and missing 13th October 1917 whereas CWGC site shows died 26 October

1917. NNG.

Does anyone know what the procedure was for notifying IRC of missing men ?

Are there any TNA records of these notifications ?

Cheers. Ed

Have found a card for Pte F Feston who is listed as wounded and missing 13th October 1917 whereas CWGC site shows died 26 October

1917. NNG.

Does anyone know what the procedure was for notifying IRC of missing men ?

Are there any TNA records of these notifications ?

Cheers. Ed

British Red Cross produced books of enquiry lists most of which are at TNA however 1917 back end of is missing. Now that the IWM is open again, they might hold a copy of that one. There are some relatives enquiries in FO 383 series at TNA mixed in with other stuff such as camp inspections etc.

Edit: Alternatively, War Office Weekly Casualty Lists are available at the British Library. I would expect to see him there and I tend to check the casualty lists first.

British Red Cross produced books of enquiry lists most of which are at TNA however 1917 back end of is missing. Now that the IWM is open again, they might hold a copy of that one. There are some relatives enquiries in FO 383 series at TNA mixed in with other stuff such as camp inspections etc.

Edit: Alternatively, War Office Weekly Casualty Lists are available at the British Library. I would expect to see him there and I tend to check the casualty lists first.

Thank you for those suggestions.

Will have to venture up to the big smoke again before I or my ticket expires :-)

Thank you for those suggestions.

Will have to venture up to the big smoke again before I or my ticket expires :-)

By the way, welcome to the forum Ed!

You might want to try posting in the 'Soldiers' or 'POW' areas of the forum and give as much information as you have on him already. First his service details plus any action his unit was involved in at that time in October when he went missing and whereabouts his unit were at that time. The more information you can post, the more people are able to help. It sounds like he might have died of wounds in German hands shortly after capture but without the necessary information from you it is difficult to say for sure.

Confounded again! Their Macs and Mcs are all over the place. Has anyone noticed if they are using 'Cameronians' or 'Scottish Rifles'? I'm not sure that will help though because I can't even locate his name at the moment (McCreath). That's two I can't find. :angry2::excl:

Whoop whoop! Found him! I thought I had better post back because earlier I noticed someone pulling up records for one Scots regiment and finding them to be another (Black Watch). I've just found my Cameronian amongst 160 Royal Scots entries and he wasn't the only one. There were quite a few I noticed in there, mainly Cameronian men in the wrong place.

Still missing Batty though grrrrr

Edit: Oh well, a short lived moment. An enquiry card and another with an R reference taking me to the repat list he appears on so guessing he might have another card with a PA reference under another regiment or another variation of his name which might indicate the camp he was registered at or a lazarette. I believe he may have sustained an injury that might have required hospital treatment...On the other hand, there might be nothing at all...

Hello all...like everyone I have been waiting patiently for the archives to be accessible. So far all I can see is the prisoner of war archives. Does anyone know when or if the graves and deaths lists will be available? Or perhaps they are and I am just not seeing the link. I'm looking for two people: 2nd Lt. Cecil Bertram Whyte, Royal Scots attd. RAF shot down May 3, 1918. The German squadron records his death so likely that they buried him somewhere near Ypres and also very likely that the death and burial are recorded in Geneva. Also his cousin, Flt. Sub Lt. Leslie Hunter Parker who was shot down while serving with Naval 10 in June ,1917. I know less about his circumstances but hope for something nonetheless.

Scott

I have to congratulate the International Committee of the Red Cross for providing access to the Great War archives of the International Prisoners of War Agency. I find it a fascinating resource and have already tracked down many Hampshire Regiment men on my POW database.

Nothing to do with the Hampshire Regiment but by chance I came across the following communication today in the archive:

Communicated by B.M. at the Hague 21st November, 1918 received in the War Office 21st November, 1918

"Dutch Red Cross informs me that 17746 Sjt F. Butler, Royal Warwick Regiment, presumably Prisoner of War from Germany fell out of the train passing through Utrecht and died in Hospital there 21st November, 1918. Will send further particulars."

War Office 24th November, 1918.

This refers to 17746 Pte Frederick Butler 10th Royal Warwickshire Regiment age 29 buried in Hague General Cemetery.

He was captured at Messines 10 April 1918 and on the face of it he had just been repatriated and was on his way home.

Marc

Confounded again! Their Macs and Mcs are all over the place. Has anyone noticed if they are using 'Cameronians' or 'Scottish Rifles'? I'm not sure that will help though because I can't even locate his name at the moment (McCreath). That's two I can't find. :angry2::excl:

Seaforths; I've had little success finding men from The Cameronians - any I've found so far have been listed under Cameron Highlanders. I guess we can forgive the indexers (then and now) as its a mistake that's been commonly made for many a year!

Seaforths; I've had little success finding men from The Cameronians - any I've found so far have been listed under Cameron Highlanders. I guess we can forgive the indexers (then and now) as its a mistake that's been commonly made for many a year!

Thanks I found him with a repat card and quite a few other Sco. Rifles orphaned under Royal Scots. Cards quite clearly marked correctly too.