Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red Cross records to go online 4 August

David_Underdown

These are lists of men held at certain camps at certain times. The actual camps are on the top of the lists (Cut off on these images)

He was at:

Dulmen, list dated 20-5-1918 (previously at Lille)

Hameln, listed dated 1-7-1918 (prevously at Dulmen)

Soltau, list dated 20-8-1918 (previously at Hameln)

He was "C" Company, 14th H.L.I. and taken POW at Laventie on 9-4-1918

Steve.

What regiment did Fury and Berry belong to?

Mike

Dear Mike, Thomas Fury could be Connaught Rangers (I will verify) but 7567 Pte James Berry is definitely 2nd Bn Royal Irish Regt.

What regiment did Fury and Berry belong to?

Mike

Dear Mike, My memory was not at fault. Thomas Fuery (sic, MIC) 10556, Pte, 2 Bn, Connaught Rangers.

For Thomas Fury you should search for Fury. I get a list of surnames down the left side. Click on Furd (8) and scroll down the results. Thomas Fury is in there. Effectively indexed as "FUR" / "Thomas"

"D" Company Connaught Rangers, POW 27-8-1914

Sheet PA / 10813

POW at Giessen in May 1917, previously at Limberg.

Steve.

James Berry is under BARRY (18)

PA 5898

Captured at Caudri, registered at Limberg in August 1916

Steve.

I have to say the search is like doing aerobatics in a Space Shuttle, but the resource can only be described as brilliant.

Steve.

I have to say the search is like doing aerobatics in a Space Shuttle, but the resource can only be described as brilliant.

Steve.

Absolutely agree on both counts! Did you find your missing man? I've just brick walled on one of mine (William Batty, ASC) searched all sorts of permutations of the name but nothing so far now my eyes are too tired to do any more.

Yes, under Broocksbank instead of Brooksbank. Though most information I had already got I have now extended his "known" period of time forward by a year more than I was sure of before.

Steve.

How good of the Red Cross to make this resource free to access. Another wee handy tool for folk in their research.

Derek.

Excellent to have this finally accessible and free which is a bonus.

Pretty quirky searching but seems to reflect how they did it back in the day.

My great grandfather David Shepherd Boath , Royal Scots, 26388 was captured at Roeux in April 1917.

The surname is grouped with Booth but a lot of the records are not viewable yet (nothing coming up when you search for the images and you are left with the spinning icon) which is tantalisingly annoying...

Gordon

On the road so haven't checked out the resource, but Peter Barton's Fromelles book has detail on how the records were categorised and sorted, and transliterated. Def. worth a read.

Yes, under Broocksbank instead of Brooksbank. Though most information I had already got I have now extended his "known" period of time forward by a year more than I was sure of before.

Steve.

That's great news. I will continue my search with fresh eyes and some new name ideas such as Bailly or Ball - might locate him yet. I also have details of another man who I believe was same ASC unit captured at the same time so I will try searching him and then browse pages either side of him. I managed to locate three by doing that yesterday although I did check for their cards retrospectively just in case they had more than one.

Unfortunately there was a lot of smoke and mirrors regarding German camps as they continued to use those they said they had abandoned and denied the existence of some camps altogether. This man would fall into the latter category but I have been fortunate so far to find two men that fall into that area. That is only because they were unfortunate enough to die in those places. Their deaths are recorded at the locations I suspected them to be at but their records also show that they were 'officially' at another unit hundreds of miles away from where they died. So I suppose really - two out of three is good.

Had a quick look Seaforths, nothing obvious. Might be under Bates, Bate? Are you sure his first name was William? What's his Army number?

Mike

Great resource. I'm trying to find Guardsman (Private) Frederick William Gardiner, 2nd Grenadiers, army number probably 26519 but have drawn a frustrating blank trawling through all the spellings filed under Gardner. Any ideas anyone?

Had a quick look Seaforths, nothing obvious. Might be under Bates, Bate? Are you sure his first name was William? What's his Army number?

Mike

Willam Batty, M2/100749

CWGC have him as 21st Div but his service record and British Red Cross lists have him as 61st Div. I know he died at Loerrach but I want to know where he was 'officially' down as.

I thought along the lines of Bailly or something like that if they didn't cross the upstrokes of the t s properly.

Found my Grandads POW card with only one ref number on it which led to the register for Limburg. Don't know if he was there because he was Irish and Casement was still vainly trying to recruit into the Irish Brigade or it was for medical reasons.

I am hoping for another card or cards to turn up with more references that lead to Czersk and Stralkowo camps were he was sent according to the notes grandad made in his paybook.

Found my Grandads POW card with only one ref number on it which led to the register for Limburg. Don't know if he was there because he was Irish and Casement was still vainly trying to recruit into the Irish Brigade or it was for medical reasons.

I am hoping for another card or cards to turn up with more references that lead to Czersk and Stralkowo camps were he was sent according to the notes grandad made in his paybook.

Great news for you! Do some digging and see if you can find others captured with him and see what they have for those. I was going to let things settle and get other stuff done but I've the willpower of a wet lettuce! I've some documentation on both locations now. I was looking for other stuff but it came up. Problem now is that it will take quite some time for me to go through my recent haul. However, did spot Stralkowo come up for wounded as it passed before the camera lens!

I think by that time, the German interest in turning the Irish had waned. Happy to be corrected on that.

Great news for you! Do some digging and see if you can find others captured with him and see what they have for those. I was going to let things settle and get other stuff done but I've the willpower of a wet lettuce! I've some documentation on both locations now. I was looking for other stuff but it came up. Problem now is that it will take quite some time for me to go through my recent haul. However, did spot Stralkowo come up for wounded as it passed before the camera lens!

I think by that time, the German interest in turning the Irish had waned. Happy to be corrected on that.

Pretty sure you're right on that. By the later stages of the war any hopes of turning any Irish men was a pointless task. Not that it met with much success in the first place. I feel he may have been there or that area either medically or perhaps as others have suggested purely administratively to be processed/registered and moved on.

My search was purely a cursory one I will spend more time when able trawling through records for Murray's (different spellings etc) and both aforementioned camps.

Regards

Mike

Put in Cooper, did the search Highland Light Infantry (14), so far so good, opened it up....all Black Watch!!!! grrrrr! :(

I must agree it is a great tool to our interests.

I have not as of yet worked out fully how to use it.

The person I'm interested in is my wife's granddad, Rifleman 49879 Liverpool Regiment 1/8th Liverpool Irish, there are two reference numbers, PA15280, PA15923 can anyone help me with these references please.

It is a hand written card and not type written.

Thanking you in advance,

Roger.

The index card should come up with a red bar across it when you hover over the image. Click that and then enter the "PA/" numbers in the screen that it should take you to. Most of these PA/ sheets seem to be "roll-call" lists of men at certain camps at certain times. The camps and the dates of the lists are usually hand written on top of the sheet, they will also show a previous camp within the boxes.

Steve.

Hello there Steve, thank you for the information, when I tried it the red bar did not appear but I will try again, it did appear on one of the type written ones.

Either way I'm a lot happier than I was three years ago as I could never prove he was a prisoner, I found him by just putting the surname in and just trawling through.

Was your experience of loading the site excessively slow, mine was.

Cheers Roger

James Berry is under BARRY (18)

PA 5898

Captured at Caudri, registered at Limberg in August 1916

Steve.

Thank you S, I knew they were at Limberg (at some point). I looked at Berry and found nothing, so Barry would have been a second choice!