Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Armitage - possibly RFC - aircraft delivery pilot

JaneyH

I'm trying to piece together information about my great-uncle, George Armitage. He was born c.1899 and came from Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. I understand that he was based at Upavon in Wiltshire during the Great War, and was a pilot who delivered aircraft to the Western Front. However - to the best of my knowledge - he did not see active service. Beyond this I have precious little information to go on. My Dad has his original pilot's licence, but this makes no mention of attachment to any of the services, let alone a unit.

Separately, I have traced via the Ancestry family history site a Royal Aero Club Aviator's Certificate for a George Armitage, born 8 July 1898 in Huddersfield, which contains the attached photo but no further information. From what I can see this man is in RFC uniform and has sergeant's stripes on his arm. Clearly the date and place of birth are a close fit, although I don't know if this is the right man.

Any information from experts on this forum would be most welcome, especially any information on which makes/models of aircraft George might have flown. My Dad is attending the special WW1 Commemoration Airshow at Old Warden in Bedfordshire in a couple of weeks time, and would love to be able to look at some of the aircraft and know if his uncle flew in any of them.

post-109741-0-60658200-1406842850_thumb.

Janey

The George Armitage Alf refers to is 2Lt George Jones Armitage from Pudsey, an observer in No 4 Sqn, (formerly Royal Garrison Artillery and Royal Field Artillery) who was killed in a flying accident in RE8 A4172 on 17 June 1917, along with his pilot, 2Lt C M Sayer.

I don't think he's your relative.

Gareth

Many thanks for your efforts. Many apologies for not stating in my original post that Great Uncle George survived the War! One of the reasons my Dad is so interested to research George is that he was very much his 'favourite' uncle when he was a child.

I've found some basic information about Upavon from Google searches, but nothing very specific in terms of units or aircraft.

There is an military record which you can download from the National Archives in AIR 76/1/121 for George Bottomley Armitage, born 8.7.1898 - the man referred to in Ancestry

The record will show the units he was with. He was an officer

There is also a G Armitage who was a Corporal, formerly Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, who became an RAF Corporal - medal card is in WO 372/1/112881

Many thanks - while I don't have an official source showing 'Bottomley' as George's middle name I do have anecdotal evidence of this, so I'll definitely look up the NA record. Incidentally my Dad thinks the photo from the Royal Aero Club Aviator's certificate is a very strong likeness of pictures he has.

BINGO!!!

Extreme thanks and gratitude to nieuport11 for the National Archives reference - I've downloaded the record as suggested, and I'm confident it's the right person as the "occupation in civilian life" matches (student in dyeing and chemistry at Huddersfield Technical College).

George joined the RFC in autumn 1917 (when he would have turned 18). His medical says grade A; it also notes "since joining RFC flown DH.6 two and a half hours solo". From some basic internet searches I think this refers to the deHavilland 6, which was widely used as a two-seater training aircraft.

The next section, about movements, is what I'm most interested in but is hard to decipher for a novice like myself. Can anyone shed any like on the following?

Unit from: -

Unit to: 10 CW (this might read 1 OGW)

Date of effect: 23.10.17

Unit from: 10 CW

Unit to: SMA

Date of effect: 30.11.17

Unit from: SMA

Unit to: 52 TS

Date of effect: 18.1.18

Once again, thanks to all for getting me so far so quickly!

JaneyH

I stand to be corrected, but

10 CW is probably 1 OCW = No 1 Officer Cadet Wing (I think at St Leonards-on-Sea, although another source suggests Farnborough)

SMA = School of Military Aeronautics (No 1 School of Military Aeronautics was at Reading, No 2 School was in Oxford)

52 TS = No 52 Training Squadron, at Catterick from 24 November 1917 (it disbanded into 49 Training Depot Station on 15 July 1918)

Graeme

A belated "thank you", Graeme, for translating the names of George's different RFC units. They don't appear to indicate him being based at Upavon, but they're a great starting point for more research. I'm off to visit my Dad next weekend so will do some more digging and put together a mini briefing for him - I know he'll be absolutely delighted!

• 4 years later...

Dear Janey

Yesterday I was looking through my husbands grandmothers autograph album (Maude Laughton, nee Taylor) and came across a signature that looks like Geo or Ged Armitage February 1917. At the bottom of the page someone had written G. Armitage RFC killed in action 31st July 1917. I cannot read the rank, could be L/t?

I am interested in the RAF and so decided to google the name which brought me to this posting.

I believe Maude lived in Leeds in the early 1900’s but when she married she moved  to Northfield farm, Pocklington.

I may be able to find out more about where Maud was living from my sister in law.

Penny Burley

0DB233BD-B595-4AE4-B757-E8052CFB019F.jpeg

Yes it would seem to be the George Jones Armitage mentioned in posts 2 and 3, rather than Janey's relative, who survived the war.