Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War

CROONAERT

Am now able and willing to do on forum (only!!!) look ups from the Worcester's regimental history by Capt.Stacke).

Anything needed , just ask away!!!

Dave.

Dave, My grandad George Ernest Green ( Below ) was awarded the MM in the last months of the war while with the !st Worcesters. Have you any idea how he won it ?

Thanks Nigel

Nigel.

Any more info to narrow down my search ? He was gazetted on 20th August 1919 for this award,and his only personal mention in the history is in the list of decorations, so I'm going to find it difficult to pinpoint an exact action for him.

Dave.

He enlisted on 7/4/1918 in the field after leaving the warwickshires, and i was told by the bloke who runs the Worcesters web site that he was awarded the MM during the last months of the war, but cant find anything else out whatsoever. I dont know what the 1st Worcesters were up to, but his trade in the Warwicks was Engine Driver what ever that is, truck driver ??????

Dave

Thomas R Guest transferred from RGA to Worcesters Reg no 62088

I cannot image a reason for him being mentioned but would appreciate a quick lookup. Thanks.

Roop

Thomas R Guest transferred from RGA to Worcesters Reg no 62088

I cannot image a reason for him being mentioned but would appreciate a quick lookup. Thanks.

Hi Roop.

Sorry. The only "T.Guest" mentioned in the narrative is a Sgt DCM winner with a different service number.

Dave.

He enlisted on 7/4/1918 in the field after leaving the warwickshires, and i was told by the bloke who runs the Worcesters web site that he was awarded the MM during the last months of the war, but cant find anything else out whatsoever.

Hello again, Nigel.

The bloke who runs the Worcs website is likely to know a great deal more than me about this regiment. I can only really help you with specifics if you can give me a rough date of the action. (Usually, it can be worked out to (roughly) a few months before the gazette date - but August 1919? - any ideas anyone???)

Dave.

Guest scott leader

Can you please look up 10004 Sjt Charles Sidney Flack, 3/Worcester.

Military Medal - L/G 23 October 1916, I'm not sure where it was for but I think Ovillers, July / September???,what do you think??

Scott

Can you please look up 10004 Sjt Charles Sidney Flack, 3/Worcester.

Military Medal - L/G 23 October 1916, I'm not sure where it was for but I think Ovillers, July / September???,what do you think??

Scott

He's not mentioned anywhere in the narrative, only in the roll of honour for those decorated.

Anytime July/August would be a good guess as to the date he won it.

Dave.

Guest scott leader

Thanks Dave :)

If you have time can you copy the infomation & post on the 3/Worcesters for the time you would think he won the MM, any attacks or the place on the somme were they were around that time?

Thanks

Scott

Thanks Dave :)

If you have time can you copy the infomation & post on the 3/Worcesters for the time you would think he won the MM, any attacks or the place on the somme were they were around that time?

Thanks

Scott

From the LG date, I'd hazard a guess at around the 14th July 1916. This, as you have mentioned would be for Ovillers...

post-16-1098653469.jpg

...and...

post-16-1098653545.jpg

Dave

I'm interested in 3rd Worcs on 10/8/17. Very specifically any mention of the "close support" they gave to 13th Cheshires. I know that, towards the end of the day, the Worcs CO took command of the Cheshires (they had lost 19 officers).

John

Dave

I'm interested in 3rd Worcs on 10/8/17. Very specifically any mention of the "close support" they gave to 13th Cheshires. I know that, towards the end of the day, the Worcs CO took command of the Cheshires (they had lost 19 officers).

John

Here're the relevent pages, John.

Dave.

post-16-1098732924.jpg

...and...

post-16-1098733027.jpg

Dave could you have a quick peep for George Ernest Green his numbers were 57148 + 5240271 and he was in the 1st Worcesters from the 7/4/1918 until 28/1/1919-----i have tried the other route and also online but still no good, i just thought there may be a mention

Dave could you have a quick peep for George Ernest Green his numbers were 57148 + 5240271 and he was in the 1st Worcesters from the 7/4/1918 until 28/1/1919-----i have tried the other route and also online but still no good, i just thought there may be a mention

Just had a quick "flick" at the 1/Worcs references for April 1918 untill the end of the war. Nothing (that I can see) mentions him by name. MM winners are only rarely mentioned in the histories - have you tried the War Diaries? You'll probably get a named reference to him (possibly the actual award of the MM (ribbon)) only a matter of weeks/days after the action in which it was earned. It'll take some searching though!

Dave.

(PS. the second number you mention. That's a post-1920 Army number allocated to the Worcester Regiment. Did he continue to serve longer than you thought?)

he was only in the 1st up until 1919 he then went to another regiment

But with that particular Army Number, he must have been still in the Worcestershire Regiment (possibly a different battalion) at least at the beginning of 1920, when the "number blocks" were allocated to particular regiments. (He could have changed regiment after this time and kept the number - a system that continued up to 1950).

Dave.

sorry Dave, aftyer 1919, he joined the 4th Worcesters for a year or two then the 1st Sherwoods and served mainly in Ireland where he contracted TB so they booted him out to die in 1927 and he died January 1930 after 27 years service

• 2 months later...

Hi Dave,

Wondered if you could kindly do a look up for me for the Worcesters.

2/8th battalion part of 182 Brigade for the 61st Division

In between the dates 21 June and 13 July 1918

Once again, thanks for your time.

best regards Aaron.