Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I don't do uniforms..., but I did find this Scottish(?) coat

MikeS0000

Hello Folks -

Really know very little about the detail of uniforms, but I found this languishing in a dusty corner of a local antique shop and had to liberate it for a small fee.

I believe it is Scottish, as per the design and thistle and oak leaf buttons. It does not glow under blacklight, so presumably pre-1945, and it shows plenty of honest wear and older repairs, Could use some TLC, as a couple buttons fell off as I was handling it, did find another missing one in a pocket. WW1 Period... haven't a clue, but figured you gents were a good a place to start. :-)

Well, any help appreciated. Thanks for looking and Best Regards!

- Mike

Photo 2post-23621-0-18604800-1406504363_thumb.j

Photo 3

Photo 4

post-23621-0-73979400-1406503559_thumb.j

post-23621-0-17105000-1406504419_thumb.j

post-23621-0-87264300-1406504457_thumb.j

Looks like a fairly common, civilian pipers' doublet from some years ago.

They're sold with shells on each shoulder, however most pipers do not wear the shell on the left shoulder to make way for a plaid/plaid brooch, although there are exceptions such as those worn by the pipers of the Scots Guards. But this is definitely not one of theirs.

I note the lack of collar dogs or any marks that there have ever been collar dogs or any badges on the right arm.

Furthermore, the doublet has buttons that were very common on civilian doublets.

I stand to be corrected but I'd say it was a probably a civilian piper's doublet.

The buttons are certainly not a military pattern - I would go along with a civilian doublet, but at least you will look good on Burns Night or Hogmanay :)

Sepoy

The diamond buttons do not preclude it from being military. However, I would agree that without collar dogs it is likely to to be civilian. The shoulder shells are the standard Army pattern; pre-WW1 and into the early inter-war period most regiments utilized the more elaborate scalloped pattern shells purchased at regimental expense.

The button looks like a variation of the Cameronian's pipers button, but the design is fairly generic.

It has the correct make up for a military piper's doublet and the buttons might not have the same provenance, perhaps being added later. Are there any broad arrow ink stamps inside the garment?

The original liner is long gone, and someone has hand-sewn a one into it. The material and thread on the 'new' liner appear to be pre-WW2 also. Anything else to look for? I will check again, I have seen marking inside the pockets of some jackets. I picked up an Annapolis mid-shipman's 1914-18 period and it turned out to belong to J.W. Roper, who went on to Captain the USS Iowa at Iwo Jima and Okinawa. So, there are some surprises out there.

The shoulder shell on the left is not original......it is facing the wrong way (the 'stripes' are facing backwards).

Good catch! :thumbsup: We live in Upstate NY, and I wondered if this may have wandered over the border from Canda?