Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Abbreviations & ciphers help please

Guest BenB

Hi

Can you help please(if the attachment works) if not:-

I have a MIC for Holland Leckie Chrismas shown as a Trumpeter No:5883 in the 1st Royal Dragoons and would like some help in identifying details on his MIC.

The second line shows Pte & the No; IDN/5883 I assume private but have no idea what IDN means.

On commission in/to MGC? on 26.9.17(1917?)as 2nd Lt with a (circled X) with Shropshire CS Off161? Page 106 alongside Victory Medal, what is significant about Shropshire CS if at all?

Why would he have a different number alongside 14Star CC/17 followed by IV2574/M & WS/3/2883.

Will any of the details from his MIC assist in my research elsewhere I believe he was in the East India Company (Army) as a lancer I have a painting of him in which he appears to be a lancer.

Sorry if it is a bit involved but I really am clueless at present

Thank you

BenB

Chrismas_MIC.doc

• 2 weeks later...

The number beside the BWM and Victory medal are the page numbers in the actual Medal Roll (the MICs are only an index) which may give you more info. The 14 Star has different numbers as it is recorded in a different volume.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
the actual Medal Roll (the MICs are only an index) which may give you more info.

Alas not Denham - officer BWM/Victory medal rolls are well known for having sweet FA info on them.

Hi Guys

Thank you for your help so far.

Whilst waiting for a response I trawlled through this part of the forum looking for some clues but cannot fathom out the entry referring to SHROPSHIRE CS any ideas?

Is it a Regiment?

or an Admin Base?

or what?

Suggestions welcome

BenB <_<

He was commissioned into the MGC. Perhaps Shropshire Cadet School or similar?

the actual Medal Roll (the MICs are only an index) which may give you more info.

Alas not Denham - officer BWM/Victory medal rolls are well known for having sweet FA info on them.

That is why I used the word 'may'.

Hi

:lol: Thanks Terry D, Deepathart & Blackblue for your help.

I was panicking at one stage that I would not get a response!

I have just carried out a search at the London Gazette online

and must book into the opticians CS is infact LI. Shropshire Light Inf.