Remembered Today:

Ben Hayward - reburial

Hollytree

I have downloaded the extra info from CWGC, and from that find that Pte Ben Hayward of Royal West Kent was exhumed from ( this I suppose is the trench map ref) Map 57D.and reburied in Regina Trench Cemetery There are other refs on the form, but does this refer to Regina Trench Cemetery, where he lies. I have visited his grave and photographed it. Would the map reference tell me where he fell? And if so, are these maps easily accessible? I do go to TNA.

Thanks

Anne

Thanks, I think that I have already found the Regina Trench near Courcelette, map, but as I am researching this boy for a friend it would be added to the story if I could find from where he fell. I understand from the CWGC that Regina Trench was originally a German trench.

Edit: FOUND IT! thanks

Anne

Edited by Hollytree

Do you have his information from Soldiers Died, Medal Index card, Service or Pension records (if they survive?) his Birth registration, 1901 and 1911 Census returns etc?

There was one other known death from his village:-

WILLIAMS, F. Rank: Lieutenant. Date of Death: 24/06/1918.
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force 62nd Sqdn. and 7th Bn. Royal Welsh Fusiliers
Grave Reference: VI. H. 3. Cemetery:CABARET-ROUGE BRITISH CEMETERY, SOUCHEZ.
Additional Information: Son of Mr. W. Williams, of Winstone, Builth Wells, Breconshire.
When he was killed, there were two other casualties killed that day...
SMITH, LESLIE EDWIN. Rank: Private. Service No: 24650. Date of Death: 20/02/1917. Age:19.
Regiment/Service: Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) 7th Bn.
Grave Reference: V. C. 39. Cemetery:DERNANCOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION.
Additional Information: Son of Henry William and Harriett Randle Smith, of 81, Reddings Rd., Moseley, Birmingham.
SUTER, REGINALD OSBOURNE. Rank: Private. Service No: G/2274. Date of Death:20/02/1917.Age: 22.
Regiment/Service: Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) 7th Bn. Panel Reference: Pier and Face 11 C. Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL.
Additional Information: Son of Egbert and Gertrude Suter, of 1, Warwick Cottages, Benhall Mill Rd., Tunbridge Wells, Kent.
Whilst the War Diary may have better fetails it would seem to be a random shell burst which may have killed 2 outright, the other dying of wounds.

I have looked at the war diary, but not very informative, I have copied the relevant pages to give a complete ( sort of) to his nephew. But any other info is gratefully received. Thanks

Anne