Remembered Today:

Order of Leopold II

Bonegrubber

My grandfather was awarded the order of Leopold II (chevalier) in April 1919 before he was demobbed. Would he have been entitled to wear the ribbon on his uniform?

Hi Bonegrubber

If the award was gazetted (ie. in the London Gazette) the answer is yes. Because he would have un restricted permission to wear the award.

Can you tell me his name please & any info you have on his award for my data base???

Thanks

Peter

Peter, thanks for the reply.

Corporal Charles William Smith 4th Btn Suffolks #200332. Gazetted 5th April 1919. His medal is on the left of my avatar, modern version on the right. I have little other information, the citation isn't particularly informative, neither is the regimental diary.

My grandfather was awarded the order of Leopold II (chevalier) in April 1919 before he was demobbed. Would he have been entitled to wear the ribbon on his uniform?

The Order of Leopold II was established in 1900 in five classes, and was primarily intended "for rewarding services rendered to the King or for marking his personal approbation." The badge of the fifth class is in silver, and the higher classes in gold. From 'Ribbons and Medals', by Taprell Dorling.

Apologies if I'm going over old ground.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my favourite "foreign awards".... any idea under what circumstances he was awarded it?.

This is from WO388/1 /part 2 (Exchange of Army Decorations) book two is Belgian decorations conferred on the British Army.

post-7206-0-08107800-1408093993_thumb.jp

post-7206-0-09180500-1408094011_thumb.jp