Remembered Today:

Uniform of Royal Scots or Veterinary Corps?

Guest chris_m

Guest chris_m

Hi, i would be grateful for anyone's help in identifying the uniform in the attached photo. My grandfather Henry Meechan was in the veterinary corps in WW1 and his brother John Meechan was in the 2nd Bn Royal Scots in WW1. Henry survived the war but his brother John died in France in August 1914. i know the photo is of either Henry or John. Thanks.

Chris.

post-112704-0-55047500-1406065864_thumb.

Certainly a Scottish uniform and the collar badge looks to be that of the Royal Scots.

Without question a soldier of the Royal Scots (the collar badge alone being quite distinctive) dressed for walking out in full dress doublet and trews, carrying a swagger stick.

post-599-0-02131100-1406110871_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-67794700-1406110880_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-86786300-1406110980_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-08264600-1406111068_thumb.jpg

Without question a soldier of the Royal Scots (the collar badge alone being quite distinctive) dressed for walking out in full dress doublet and trews, carrying a swagger stick.

Getting down to the minutae, the glengarry badge in your photo with the red backing is indicative of the 1st Bn RS while the 2nd Bn wore a green backing.

Getting down to the minutae, the glengarry badge in your photo with the red backing is indicative of the 1st Bn RS while the 2nd Bn wore a green backing.

Yes indeed. I did not wish to get too far down into the weeds of irrelevance given the simplicity of the enquiry made, especially given the numbers of WW1 TF and Service battalions of the Royal Scots who did not move beyond the practice of the 1st Battalion.