Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield Tours of The Somme

The Scorer

I'm looking at the possibility of arranging a "local" guided tour (as opposed to a trip from the UK) of the Somme next year.

Can anyone recommend a company that I can contact to discuss this, please? I'm thinking of someone like Salient Tours but on the Somme. I used someone quite a few years ago (about 2006, I think), but I don't have their contact details any more and I can't remember who they were!

Incidentally, my apologies if this has been dealt with previously elsewhere on this topic. I did do a search, but nothing came to light.

Any suggestions will be very welcome - thank you.

I'm looking at the possibility of arranging a "local" guided tour (as opposed to a trip from the UK) of the Somme next year.

x

A slightly different option might be to look at Beaumont Hamel View Guest House, whose battlefield tours seem to be highly reccomended.

I would reccomend Jon from Blighty Tea Rooms on Tom's list - A highly knowledgeable guy

Andy

I would second Sassenach, its a small world of local guides in that area and from what I have heard and know of him, Dave is certainly the best.

http://www.beaumonthamelview.com/

I would second Sassenach, its a small world of local guides in that area and from what I have heard and know of him, Dave is certainly the best.

http://www.beaumonthamelview.com/

Thank you both, this looks very good!

As I said earlier, I did use a local guide the last time, but I can't remember who they were (but I'm pretty sure that they weren't any of the ones mentioned). Any suggestions as to who this was will be very much appreciated!

Where were they based and what vehicle?

Where were they based and what vehicle?

I knew that I should have done this before, but I've now looked at my photos from that period.

The trip took place on 1st June 2006, and as far as I can recall, we were in a minibus. I think that they were based in Albert, and for some reason I think that I booked them through, or was given the contact details by, the Tourist Information Centre in Albert. I was staying in Albert at the Hotel de la Basilique, and I probably met them somewhere in the centre of Albert.

I do remember that the guide was very good, and helped us see what we wanted. The images tell me that in order, we went to Mametz; Dantzig Alley Cemetery *; Delville Wood; Longueval; Tommy's Café, Pozieres; Theipval; Ulster Tower; Hamel Cemetery *; Newfoundland Park; Lochnagar and Dartmoor Cemetery *.

The guide asked everyone whether they wanted to go to anywhere specific and the one marked with a * above may be some of these visits. I asked to go Authuille Church to see the memorial to the 16th (Glasgow Boy's Brigade) Battalion, Highland Light Infantry, and this was done with no problems at all.

Sadly, there are no images of the minibus or the guide, so that's not going to be any help!

So, that's really all I can say about this trip ... so any advice will, as usual, be very welcome. Thank you.

I would echo the comments of Sassenach and Auchonvillerssomme re Dave at Beaumont Hamel View. I have used him 3 times and am doing so again in October. He is superb. He has an ex MOD Landrover so can get to some relatively inaccessible places. I think 4 would realistically be the maximum that you could fit in.

• 4 years later...
On 24/07/2014 at 20:05, The Scorer said:

I knew that I should have done this before, but I've now looked at my photos from that period.

The trip took place on 1st June 2006, and as far as I can recall, we were in a minibus. I think that they were based in Albert, and for some reason I think that I booked them through, or was given the contact details by, the Tourist Information Centre in Albert. I was staying in Albert at the Hotel de la Basilique, and I probably met them somewhere in the centre of Albert.

I do remember that the guide was very good, and helped us see what we wanted. The images tell me that in order, we went to Mametz; Dantzig Alley Cemetery *; Delville Wood; Longueval; Tommy's Café, Pozieres; Theipval; Ulster Tower; Hamel Cemetery *; Newfoundland Park; Lochnagar and Dartmoor Cemetery *.

The guide asked everyone whether they wanted to go to anywhere specific and the one marked with a * above may be some of these visits. I asked to go Authuille Church to see the memorial to the 16th (Glasgow Boy's Brigade) Battalion, Highland Light Infantry, and this was done with no problems at all.

Sadly, there are no images of the minibus or the guide, so that's not going to be any help!

So, that's really all I can say about this trip ... so any advice will, as usual, be very welcome. Thank you.

Hello sorry to bother you do you have any pictures on your visits to Pozières that you could maybe email me? I can private mail you my email address. I am just hoping that on the of chance if you’ve taking photos of individual headstones of the highland light infantry then you may have snapped a picture of my Great Grandads and if it’s not too much to ask I would appreciate if you sent me it or all photos from Pozières if you have a lot and I will wade through them. 

Kind regards

Lorna

Who is he and do you have the grave location details? I am on the Somme at the moment and could probably nip in and get the necessary photograph (so long as it brightens up a bit - foggy and very gloomy this am).

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 22:30, Cochrane37787 said:

Hello sorry to bother you do you have any pictures on your visits to Pozières that you could maybe email me? I can private mail you my email address. I am just hoping that on the of chance if you’ve taking photos of individual headstones of the highland light infantry then you may have snapped a picture of my Great Grandads and if it’s not too much to ask I would appreciate if you sent me it or all photos from Pozières if you have a lot and I will wade through them. 

Kind regards

Lorna

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I'll certainly try to help you if I can.

I don't think that I took any images of individual HLI gravestones, but it's possible that I did. If you can give me your Great Grandad's name, please, I can check this fairly easily and let you know. If you PM this to me, I'll do this as soona s I can.

Best wishes!