Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Bn RWK and 13th Bn Cheshires

fellop

Hello to all,

I have a digital download of the 7th Bn Royal West Kents War Diary; 1 July 1915 - 31 Dec 1917 and the digital download of 13th Bn Cheshire Regiment War Diary; 1 Sept 1915 - 31 Jan 1918.

Happy to do look ups.

regards

Peter

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter

One of the guys on my local memorial is William Barnard

Private G/12060, 7th Battalion, Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment). Killed in action 27th September 1916.

He's commemorated on thiepval memorial, and was just wondering if the regiment diary can pin point a location or specific action. It seems the battalion was in the Ancre Heights / Schwaben redoubt area, and It seems casualties were high. I just wanted to see if the diary had anything interesting to say about that time.

Many thanks in advance.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Sorry for any delay, have been away for a couple of days and am now just playing catch up before escaping again for a mid week break next week with the Lady of the House who wishes to see the Blackpool Illuminations.

From the Diary.

Aedau-Ville 26th Sept.

10am 2nd Lt Hudson,1 platoon B Coy and 6 Mules sent to Authwile for tramway work.

12 noon Ordered to be prepared to move at an hour’s notice after 1pm.

1.15pm Battalion ordered to move at 1.30pm.

1.45pm Battalion move across country to CRUCIFIX CORNER [E of AVELUY] leaving 1st line transport and details at PT W. 8 central [NE of BOUZINCOURT]. Arrived in dug outs between 5pm and 6pm. The battalion was at this time lent to 54th Inf Bde. Parapit Strength of Battn, 20 Officers, 720 OR.

27th September.

3.45am Battalion moved into dug outs further up; Hd Qrs & A & B Coys at NORTHERN BLUFF, C & D Coys in West End of PAISLEY AVENUE. One shell caused 42 casualties in C & D Coys as they were passing the Northern Bluff. Northern Bluff heavily shelled all day, causing 20 more casualties; it is considered that this was a most unsuitable place to crowd troops; dug outs for the most part unsafe.

The next entry is at 28th 11am.

Happy to transcribe if you would like it.

Not sure if you have the ‘written’ history by Capt CT Atkinson but copied from that.

26th

In the actual attack on Theipval the 55th brigade was in reserve and the 7th RWK therefore spent the morning of September 26th in a position of readiness. Not till nearly 2pm was it summoned up to crucifix Corner, the cross roads W of Aveluy [see the war diary sates E of Aveluy] and placed under orders of the 54th Brigade who, aided by the 53rd Brigade had taken Thiepval but where having great difficulty in completing the reduction of the position in the face of a desperate resistance of a stubborn and confident garrison.

27th

By 8.30 next morning however the task had been completed without the 7th being employed. The battalion had merely moved up to positions closer to Theipval being heavily shelled while doing so and suffering 40 casualties from one single shell.

Hopes this helps ask again for more if required.

Best regards

Peter

It certainly does help. Many thanks for this interesting info. Must have been some shell

I'm planning a visit to the Somme at some point and will have a good look at some maps before I g,o, and try to work out where exactly they were. There's also a few other RWK men listed on the memorial, so I'll hunt down a copy of Capt. Atkinson's book.

Many thanks again

Hi Bob,

The book I have is:

The Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment. 1914-1919 by Capt C T Atkinson.

It is a Naval and Military softback re-print I got from them perhaps three or so months ago so have a search their site

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I think it's possible that Albert Edward Mead RWK was at the battle of Loos in 1915, have you seen any mentions? He was discharged wounded in sept 1916. Number G/4763.

Thanks in advance

Hello Texasranger.

Unfortunately the 7th Battalion RWK did not take part in the Battle of Loos [25 September - 8th October 1915]

regards

Peter

Hello Texasranger.

Unfortunately the 7th Battalion RWK did not take part in the Battle of Loos [25 September - 8th October 1915]

regards

Peter

Thanks for that info Peter, my problem is that I know he was in the RWK, and when he joined and left but I cannot pin down what battalion he was in so I am clutching at straws. Thanks again.

Hi Texasranger.

Sorry I am unable to help with a definitive answer as to which Battalion he served with however for what it may be worth I have had a look at the Regimental deployments and his MIC.

His MIC states his first date of entry was to France on 22/4/15.

Now taking that date into account and looking at battalion deployments and [or] dates I have come up with this.

1st Bn landed France Dec 1914.

2nd Bn did not serve in France

3rd Bn was Reserve Battalion

1/4th Bn did not serve in France

1/5th Bn did not serve in France

2/4th Bn did not serve in France

2/5th Bn did not leave UK.

3/4th Bn did not land in France until 1/6/17

3/5th Bn did not leave UK and was absorbed by 4th [Reserve] Bn

4/4th Bn did not leave UK and was absorbed by 5th [Reserve] Bn

6th Bn did not land in France until 1/6/15

7th Bn did not land in France until 27/7/15

8th Bn did not land in France until 30/8/15

9th Bn [Reserve] Bn did not leave UK and was absorbed as part of 5th Reserve Bde

10th Bn was not raised until May 1915.

11th Bn same again, not raised until May 15

12th [Reserve] Bn was not formed until February 1916

1st Home Service Garrison Bn did not leave UK.

So taking the above into account when Albert Edward Mead arrived in France on the 22 April 1915 the only RWK Bn there was the 1st Battalion. His MIC shows his only service with the RWK.

Now again I know this is not an exact science and his MIC shows he served in France from date of entry until his SWB details and eventual discharge on 12 September 1916.

There is of course the possibility that he may have perhaps moved from one battalion to another within the regiment as needs required so perhaps as it seems very likely that he first served with the 1st Bn he may have served with other battalions as they arrived in France.

However it may be just as likely that he might have served the whole time with the 1st Battalion until his wounding that ultimately lead to his discharge on 12 September 1916.

Perhaps you might trace, research or ask some kindly person who may have access to either the Medal Rolls and the SWB list or both to see if that may throw any extra information your way.

Just my thoughts anyway and hope it might help.

Regards

Peter

Peter,

That is more information than I could have hoped for, thank you so much for taking the time to share that with me. I will look into it further and see what I can glean.

Thanks again, all the best.

TR