Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What can you tell me about this propeller please?

McCudden

Hi everyone

The attached is a photograph of a single blade propeller owned by a member of 2Lt Harold Stuttard's family. The prop has a splintered end, probably from a flying accident and currently resides in their loft!.

Harold died in a flying accident in the UK on October 30th 1917 whilst flying a DH4 but I'm fairly certain this prop is not from a that aircraft. The family tell me it was a souvenir belonging to Harold so I assume it was salvaged from an earlier crash. He was in 46 Training Squadron RFC.

My question is, what type of other aircraft did 46 Training Squadron fly that would match the aircraft suited to this propeller? Also, if anyone has any history of that squadron, particularly any details of either of these flying accidents involving 2Lt Stottard, I'd be most interested to know about them.

Thank you in hopeful anticipation

Alec

post-144-0-42767000-1405686760_thumb.jpg

Aircraft used at some time by Training Sqn 40 which, depending on the engine fitted, used a twin bladed prop (WW 1 props were either twin or four bladed) were

• Airco Dh2
  • Airco Dh5
  • Avro 504 J & K
  • Bristol Scout
  • Sopwith Pup

Sorry misread number for 46 it will almost certainly be

Airco Dh 6

46TS also used RE8 and BE12, both of which used the Raf4a

The engine also used on the AW FK8 and RE7

There is very little data on home-based units,

Harold Pierce Stuttard was killed in DH4 A7617 when the aircraft spun out of the clouds and broke up during formation practice

46TS also used RE8 and BE12, both of which used the Raf4a

The engine also used on the AW FK8 and RE7

There is very little data on home-based units,

Harold Pierce Stuttard was killed in DH4 A7617 when the aircraft spun out of the clouds and broke up during formation practice

four bladed not twin bladed, as I said in my edit I mis read the sqn number but the Dh6 with the Curtiss engine did have a twin bladed prop. and 46 did fly Dh 6s

Tell the Forum what the numbers are , stamped on the base of the prop , and youll get a definitive answer.It might even say "DH6 " on the blade........

If you google '12 CYL RAF4A' there are some interesting sites.