Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

hm French general 'en grande tenue' north Africa ?

One thinks of North Africa, yes. Another clue would be 'Edith Cavell'.

My fellow post-war resigned his commission and was a test pilot (amongst other things), and was a lifelong New Yorker.

-Daniel

Yes please

Be careful what you wish for Uncle George. You need to remember that the definition of the word 'clue' in Daniel's mind is different to everybody else's. To us a clue is a piece of information that makes it easier to work out who the person is. To Daniel it is a means of obfuscation that ensures it will take even longer to recognise the subject.

Here we have a case in point, 'a lifelong New Yorker' How could that possibly help? Is it John McEnroe? Dorothy Parker? Woody Allen? Why would where he lived help us identify him?

As I said to NF yesterday, Daniel doesn't post many but when he does they are invariably fiendishly difficult

David

Oh, *fine*, I'll add another clue, OTHER than the fact he is a carbon-based life form, which should solve the whole shebang in a second.

:thumbsup:

Two words: aeronautical engineering.

Oh, *fine*, I'll add another clue, OTHER than the fact he is a carbon-based life form, which should solve the whole shebang in a second.

:thumbsup:

Two words: aeronautical engineering.

Is it Jimmy Doolittle?

David

It is not the esteemed Mr. Doolittle.

Well that's me out then. Another cracker Daniel

David

Grover Loening or Alfred Sturtevant Daniel?

Tell me you haven't been up all night searching for those two Caryl!

David

Tell me you haven't been up all night searching for those two Caryl!

David

Too hot to sleep or think, so here's an easy one for today's befuddled heat-crazed brains.

post-8866-0-74642900-1406271838_thumb.jp

That Bogey?

Mike

Certainly is Mike. Enlisted into the US Navy in Spring 1918 and according to his wiki page spent most of his time after the armistice was signed, ferrying troops back from Europe.

( A previous WIT several life-times ago)

Be careful what you wish for Uncle George. You need to remember that the definition of the word 'clue' in Daniel's mind is different to everybody else's. To us a clue is a piece of information that makes it easier to work out who the person is. To Daniel it is a means of obfuscation that ensures it will take even longer to recognise the subject.

Here we have a case in point, 'a lifelong New Yorker' How could that possibly help? Is it John McEnroe? Dorothy Parker? Woody Allen? Why would where he lived help us identify him?

As I said to NF yesterday, Daniel doesn't post many but when he does they are invariably fiendishly difficult

David

Lifelong New Yorker. I was sure for a consideable time that we were being steered toward the Manhattan Project.

I am wasting my life.

nope

i do not get it ! Cavell ?

During the GW he made a successful escape from a PoW camp (and asked Cavell for help). And during the Second war...

Certainly is Mike. Enlisted into the US Navy in Spring 1918 and according to his wiki page spent most of his time after the armistice was signed, ferrying troops back from Europe.

( A previous WIT several life-times ago)

Caryl

Number 68 posted by Stoppage Drill solved by Fattyowls (I promise I won't be this boring for long!)

I'm beginning to think it will take me all blinking holiday to finish this list. I've now reached 300 and it is not even the end of February. Just finished 18th February - 114 posts and 20 pictures posted and identified! Mick Forsyth was on fire that day posting 6 pictures and solving 7 of the other 14. He also had time to correct Pete's French when he (Pete) referred to Liz as "Mon Cher". It made me realise that we haven't heard from Siege Gunner or Liz from Eastbourne on the thread lately.

Oh yes and Liz found an answer on another thread to which your response was "You mean there are other threads?"

It made me laugh at the time and I laughed again coming across it yesterday

David

Lifelong New Yorker. I was sure for a consideable time that we were being steered toward the Manhattan Project.

I am wasting my life.

If the clue had been from Steve Marsdin you would have been right as he is the master of artful cryptic clues.

Caryl

Number 68 posted by Stoppage Drill solved by Fattyowls (I promise I won't be this boring for long!)

I'm beginning to think it will take me all blinking holiday to finish this list. I've now reached 300 and it is not even the end of February. Just finished 18th February - 114 posts and 20 pictures posted and identified! Mick Forsyth was on fire that day posting 6 pictures and solving 7 of the other 14. He also had time to correct Pete's French when he (Pete) referred to Liz as "Mon Cher". It made me realise that we haven't heard from Siege Gunner or Liz from Eastbourne on the thread lately.

I've wondered why Siege Gunner and Liz haven't posted lately. It's occurred to me more than once that I'm now the only female left. Sue makes the odd guest appearance and Mary and Michelle haven't posted for a long time.

While looking for a WIT recently, I came across a very strange story. I can't find a photo of the man himself but he was a real Walter Mitty type who invented the aeroplane below. Who was he? (I may not be around later today because I have guests staying for three weeks so need to crack on, but whoever guesses correctly will know they have) Edit: You're doing a great job with WIT stats David. You'll be able to write a book or patent a board game at the end of it!

post-8866-0-85955700-1406280562_thumb.jp

During the GW he made a successful escape from a PoW camp (and asked Cavell for help). And during the Second war...

I'll go for Henri Giraud then

Carl

I'll go for Henri Giraud then

Carl

You'd be right.

EDIT - I meant to add that he was captured after being left for dead, having led a bayonet charge of Zoaves at Charleroi.