Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

There are not many who served during the Boxer Rebellion, and WW2.

Is he Australian?

Just a little bump in case this V.C. winner from a couple of pages ago has been overlooked.

ru1.jpg

I think I might try posting one or two V.C. winners and include their citation as the first clue, and see how it goes.

"For most conspicuous bravery . . . After the enemy had captured a part of one of our trenches, and our counter-attack made with one officer and twenty men having failed (all but two of the party being killed or wounded in the attempt), ??????, on his own initiative, dashed forward with eight men, and under heavy fire attacked the enemy with bombs, and captured the position, including the fifty-two Germans occupying it. The capture of this position from the enemy was of the greatest importance, and the utmost bravery was displayed in essaying the task with so very few men."

P.S. No need to wait till you identify someone before you post a candidate, Daniel, or if there is, I for one have unintentionally infringed upon the etiquette many times.

Carl. Is it Belgian Ace, Andre de Meulemeester ?

P.S. No need to wait till you identify someone before you post a candidate, Daniel, or if there is, I for one have unintentionally infringed upon the etiquette many times.

Don't worry NF, Daniel has always operated this self denying ordinance. But when he posts it's normally a cracker.

It's getting a bit complicated at the moment so in summary we have outstanding:

Your VC winner

UG's Boxer survivor

Daniel's lantern jawed American (?)

and Carl's famous Gunner

Hope someone out there is trawling the extensive library more effectively than me. I haven't a clue about any of them

David

Having said that. Your chap is Charles Calveley Foss

David

Having said that. Your chap is Charles Calveley Foss

David

He is indeed, David. Well played.

Another interesting account of the action here. Appropriately, the link also honours and names the eight men who went with him.

http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/2ndbn/charlesfossvc.html

Going on David`s hunch, could Daniel`s man be Walker Merriam Philbrook?

He is not. When he turned 104, he received a telegram from President Bush.

Nathan Cook?

David

In case that's a right answer I'll post another air ace. The symbol may help:

post-66715-0-44193900-1406152621_thumb.j

David

It`s helped me arrive at top Italian Ace; Francesco Baracca, for a first guess?

(Absolutely stuck on your chap, U.G.)

It`s helped me arrive at top Italian Ace; Francesco Baracca, for a first guess?

(Absolutely stuck on your chap, U.G.)

Your first guess is correct. His prancing horse symbol going on to be the symbol of Ferrari.

I think I may have cracked UG's at post 188, although awaiting confirmation.

We are also awaiting answers on suggestions for the other two outstanding ones.

David

Is this Leahy?

Sorry, he is a different fellow. :)

Going on David`s hunch, could Daniel`s man be Walker Merriam Philbrook?

Sorry, not him either. :)

Hint number one: my fellow was not supposed to be an aviator but a mistake on his paperwork allowed him to be thusly trained and actually had one tour of duty before the war ended. His postwar career was positively incredible and his legacy continues to the present day.

Nathan Cook?

David

Yes. Acconts of his service vary. He would seem to have served in the Phillipine-American War, the Boxer Rebellion, and to have commanded USS Favorite during GW. At the end of which he is said to heve been reduced to his substantive rank of Boatswain.

He served in WW2, and lived to the age of 106.

Carl is it Willy Coppens the balloon buster? The plane a Hanriot HD-1 or a Nieuport 16?

I think the plane is a Sopwith (but i should get an expert on this)

The gunner was well known as a mountaineer and probably the most senior officer to fly across the front line ;-)

Carl

no

King Albert of the Belgians ;-)

Very clever Carl. I'd never have guessed that it was him. I've now blown the cover of three aviators I was saving for future WIT!

Very clever Carl. I'd never have guessed that it was him. I've now blown the cover of three aviators I was saving for future WIT!

Caryl

No problem there. You only have to leave it a fortnight and we will all have forgotten them in the avalanche of other pictures and fascinating stories that will have come our way by then!

David

no

King Albert of the Belgians ;-)

Very devious Carl :thumbsup: That is at least the fourth time we have had King Albert and all of them have been in wildly different locations. If TEL is the thread's patron saint then Albert is definitely the comeback king - WIT's Sinatra perhaps :whistle:

David