Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Just now, rolt968 said:

He was killed on 1 July 1916, serving with the Leeds pals.

Serre, remembered on the Thiepval Memorial.

I have searched for a photo of this man in civvies as I think the cap badge and collar badges are a bit of a give away. The best I could find was one with no cap.

GWFM3.jpg.0c19aadfaca2306aeef3ddbe292c9712.jpg

RM

How about this chap. Has a connection with the world of movies.

Fought at the Somme, and was one of the few survivors from his battalion. 

20211006_135843.jpg.47e67b3311e1bfddb14a3bcf07baaa9b.jpg

I see that we have two simultaneous posts. Ah well, all the more for people to get their teeth into, plus both of us have someone else to go for.

14 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Well played sir, I took the liberty of looking at this site after you came up with the name and Rolts picture is featured on there.

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamPlyrsBios/PlayersL/BioLintottEH.html

I started out looking for English international footballers who served. Couldn't find a definitive list but that Soartacus site came up and I was fortunate enough to find his name on the home page. You know me. Walk a thousand miles to cover a yard of ground. It's the only way I know to make up for my lack of knowledge. 

44 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

I have searched for a photo of this man in civvies as I think the cap badge and collar badges are a bit of a give away. The best I could find was one with no cap.

GWFM3.jpg.0c19aadfaca2306aeef3ddbe292c9712.jpg

RM

No doubt the eagle-eyed amongst us will pick up on the collar badge. I'm pretty much useless on such things so will have to wait for developments.

Hope to help you out Steve, the candidate is in the Sherwood Foresters…..hopefully 

Steve I will pm you on your chap

9 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

'Fraid not matey; my responsible grown up doesn't let me use anything sharp.......

In honour of James Richardson VC and to mark an excellent contribution by our newest member Jim this is a photo taken from the road between Pozieres and Courcelette looking approximately north over the Regina trench area. This is the eastern part of the area attacked, with Courcelette just out of picture to the right. I think Regina Trench cemetery is just out of picture as is Courcelette cemetery, the trees in both are just visible I think. But I could be wrong (see Vivian Woodward above)....

994865775_TowardsMiramontandPys.JPG.1301d0959c03c92c96141915f78dab52.JPG

Hey Fattyowls,  thanks very much!

Great photo!  So many lives for a piece of land.  

Jim

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

How about this chap. Has a connection with the world of movies

The cat in the hat reminds me of Raymond Chandler; but I expect to find that who it really is reminds me of Raymond Chandler.

Pete.

P.S. On a slight (well actually a very large) digression I am really enjoying listening to Tuba Skinny; it's not an era of jazz that I'm very familiar with. On a similar note have you chanced upon the Hot Sardines? I'd be interested in your views, possibly on a music thread near here.......

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

The cat in the hat reminds me of Raymond Chandler; but I expect to find that who it really is reminds me of Raymond Chandler.

Pete.

P.S. On a slight (well actually a very large) digression I am really enjoying listening to Tuba Skinny; it's not an era of jazz that I'm very familiar with. On a similar note have you chanced upon the Hot Sardines? I'd be interested in your views, possibly on a music thread near here.......

I'm so pleased that you are enjoying Tuba Skinny. It's proper feelgood stuff I think, and they're all so superbly talented. I will check out the Hot Sardines and get back to you. Thanks for the heads up. 👍

Another picture of my man, which may help to speed up his identification. 

20211006_135919.jpg.4568826e64c367edeacc3b3e89890144.jpg

19 minutes ago, 16thBNCanScotJim said:

thanks very much

Don't mention it Jim, it's always good to have a new member of the gang. As I mentioned the village of Courcelette is just out of picture to the right and James Richardson's grave is in ADANAC just beyond if I remember correctly. The IWM have a trench photo of the view in the autumn of 1916 and it is featureless.

The lane from Pozieres past the site of the windmill down to Courcelette is a favourite walk and the views are excellent back towards Thiepval as you are close to the highest point on the battlefield. To amplify the point about the nature of the plateau over what came to called the battle of the Ancre Heights was fought this is one looking west at 90 degrees from the previous one. The memorial to the Missing is on the horizon, with the village of Thiepval just to the right and the site of the Schwaben redoubt just right again where the long line of trees is. Mouquet Farm is somewhere in the middle distance.

Pete.

1898538819_ThiepvalfromfurtherdowntheCourceletteroad.JPG.aff621aeddc9773c24e3580308a89e59.JPG

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

No doubt the eagle-eyed amongst us will pick up on the collar badge. I'm pretty much useless on such things so will have to wait for developments.

Having tried one or two obvious men, I am baffled by your man. I will await developments or inspiration.

If he is a Sherwood Forester(see post above), he looks to be age wise in the “minor” ranks, and there’s bloody hundreds of them to trawl through.

9 hours ago, rolt968 said:

Having tried one or two obvious men, I am baffled by your man. I will await developments or inspiration.

As hinted at in my latest picture, he fought both for and against England. Remember his movie connection too.

Now then, regarding your bloke; surely one good clue deserves another? 😊

I think I have done better than I thought with the collar badges, although I am not 100% sure they were/are as unusual as the cap badge.

Anyway; a big clue. He had a German sounding name but was not of German descent.

RM

As hinted at in my latest picture, he fought both for and against England. Remember his movie connection too.

From the second picture, was he Irish?

RM

Edited by rolt968

8 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

From the second picture, was he Irish?

RM

He was indeed. Very much so.

He was indeed. Very much so.

I think I know who it is. I will keep quiet for a while and let other people try.

1 minute ago, rolt968 said:

I think I know who it is. I will keep quiet for a while and let other people try.

I've been told that he has appeared on here before. Not only that but it was me who posted him.🙄 The old brain must be going on the blink. On those grounds please identify and help to minimize my embarrassment 😊

34 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I've been told that he has appeared on here before. Not only that but it was me who posted him.🙄 The old brain must be going on the blink. On those grounds please identify and help to minimize my embarrassment 😊

I think we might leave him for a little while. I didn't remember his appearance here. I will PM to check.

47 minutes ago, neverforget said:

All right then:

Emmet Dalton M.C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmet_Dalton

RM

Just now, rolt968 said:

All right then:

Emmet Dalton M.C.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmet_Dalton

RM

Thanks, and well played. Now all eyes on your chap.👍

3 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

Perhaps the cap badge will help?

1865021034_IMG_4819(1149x1280)-1500x1500.jpg.ca61e52e2e878bc3406cf5120843ba69.jpg

I think John had already identified him as a Sherwood, but we need to squeeze a little more out of you to narrow it down a little more pretty please.😊

14 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I think John had already identified him as a Sherwood, but we need to squeeze a little more out of you to narrow it down a little more pretty please.😊

Not simply a Sherwood Forester. The battalion should narrow it down quite lot. Robin Hood Rifles?

1 minute ago, rolt968 said:

Not simply a Sherwood Forester. The battalion should narrow it down quite lot. Robin Hood Rifles?

Of course; you're quite right. Apologies, I'm a little off form this morning.