The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I think it's about time I killed this one off.

Loretta Perfectus Walsh. See link below for details. The U.S. Navy named a cannon "Perfectus" in her honour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loretta_Perfectus_Walsh

Over to you Jim..

A 24lb cannon from the USS Constitution👍

Good morning everyone, here is one for today October 9th.   Who is this young fella.  

Hint; only the 2nd in the Great War of his trade to receive this decoration...0FB84ADD-5727-4E16-94B7-B9B863B89D96.jpeg.fcbf6d53a35c78ead91ed553c230f7fd.jpeg

I will start the ball rolling and say a member of the CEF👍

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

I will start the ball rolling and say a member of the CEF👍

Yes, correct Knotty,.  I fear for my first this may be an easy one.  In putting that info together will have you closer.

Edited by 16thBNCanScotJim

As you say "only the 2nd in the Great War of his trade to receive this decoration" I suspect a rare award so was it a VC?

1 hour ago, jonbem said:

As you say "only the 2nd in the Great War of his trade to receive this decoration" I suspect a rare award so was it a VC?

Yes, correct again, a unique trade of which he was only the second to receive a VC.

Jim

Hi Jim

The clues were there, on October 9th 1916 the VC was won by 18 year old Piper James Cleland Richardson of the 16th Battalion (Canadian Scottish), during the Battle of the Ancre Heights, the only other Piper to be awarded the highest award for valour was Piper Daniel Laidlaw of Loos fame.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cleland_Richardson

Wheres the picture from?

Edited by Knotty
Question asked

I had narrowed down to these from

The Canadian military and the Victoria Cross - Canada.ca

In the interim, the Canadian forces in the field continued to grow as more divisions joined the 1st Division in France and Flanders, forming the Canadian Corps. The Corps gained fighting experience in Flanders until, in the fall of 1916, it moved south to join the ongoing battle in the Somme region of France. During the next couple of months, three CEF members earned the Victoria Cross before the Canadian Corps left the Somme for the Arras region – Corporal Leo Clarke on 9 September, Private John Chipman Kerr one week later and Piper James Cleland Richardson on 8 October. Clarke’s Victoria Cross was one of three awarded to residents of Pine Street in Winnipeg, Manitoba, during the First World War (the others were Lieutenant Robert Shankland and Company Sergeant-Major Frederick William Hall). Pine Street was later renamed “Valour Road” in their honour.

9 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Wheres the picture from?

Guessing at

The VC and GC Association (vcgca.org)

Correct and well done everyone !  Yes and Jimmy’s pipes were recently found identified and repatriated to their current public viewing place in the British Columbia  Legislature.  

16 hours ago, 16thBNCanScotJim said:

my first 

First of many hopefully Jim.👍

Have we had this man before?

WiTGWF.jpg.0a1407936d0be3d02e996fd37492f93a.jpg

Hint: The picture which I found had been cropped from a full length original. I have cropped it a little more to remove something significant.

RM

Edited by rolt968

Don’t know if he was in the first iteration of WIT, but all I can say is he’s either wearing a prewar rugby or football shirt.

Quite possibly an England international. 

6 hours ago, Knotty said:

Don’t know if he was in the first iteration of WIT, but all I can say is he’s either wearing a prewar rugby or football shirt.

5 hours ago, neverforget said:

Quite possibly an England international. 

You've worked out why I cropped an already cropped photo.

So possibly an England Rugby international; Robert Laurence Pillman, kia 9.7.16? Played against France in 1914. I know a descendant of his, and there seems to be a likeness (probably my imagination though).

Edited by sassenach

30 minutes ago, sassenach said:

So possibly an England Rugby international; Robert Laurence Pillman, kia 9.7.16? Played against France in 1914. I know a descendant of his, and there seems to be a likeness (probably my imagination though).

Interesting. Alas no.

3 hours ago, rolt968 said:

You've worked out why I cropped an already cropped photo.

Makes a change for me to be barking up the right tree for once.

On 10/10/2021 at 21:26, rolt968 said:

Have we had this man before?

I suspect we have had every combatant of the whole war by now, as we have new chums on board and my memory for one is not what it used to be I don't think it matters. I took one look at him and thought Vivian Woodward. which is a brilliant spot with the only minor problem being that he doesn't look anything like the man in the picture.

Pete.

2 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I suspect we have had every combatant of the whole war by now, as we have new chums on board and my memory for one is not what it used to be I don't think it matters. I took one look at him and thought Vivian Woodward. which is a brilliant spot with the only minor problem being that he doesn't look anything like the man in the picture.

Pete.

Some things never change. Fortunately one of them is your ever present razor sharp wit Pete. 😁

11 minutes ago, neverforget said:

razor sharp

'Fraid not matey; my responsible grown up doesn't let me use anything sharp.......

In honour of James Richardson VC and to mark an excellent contribution by our newest member Jim this is a photo taken from the road between Pozieres and Courcelette looking approximately north over the Regina trench area. This is the eastern part of the area attacked, with Courcelette just out of picture to the right. I think Regina Trench cemetery is just out of picture as is Courcelette cemetery, the trees in both are just visible I think. But I could be wrong (see Vivian Woodward above)....

994865775_TowardsMiramontandPys.JPG.1301d0959c03c92c96141915f78dab52.JPG

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Pete.

Not Vivian Woodward. In the picture in Wikipedia Vivian Woodward does look quite like this man. Although that may be just the moustache.

However you have got the right sport. (Round ball not oval ball.)

RM

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

'Fraid not matey; my responsible grown up doesn't let me use anything sharp.......

In honour of James Richardson VC and to mark an excellent contribution by our newest member Jim this is a photo taken from the road between Pozieres and Courcelette looking approximately north over the Regina trench area. This is the eastern part of the area attacked, with Courcelette just out of picture to the right. I think Regina Trench cemetery is just out of picture as is Courcelette cemetery, the trees in both are just visible I think. But I could be wrong (see Vivian Woodward above)....

994865775_TowardsMiramontandPys.JPG.1301d0959c03c92c96141915f78dab52.JPG

Wot; no cables? 

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Wot; no cables? 

I would beg to draw the honourable gentleman's attention to the high voltage pylons in the middle distance. Mr K may be along in a while to adjudicate of course but maybe an appointment at a well known optometrist might be a consideration? Just a thought.

32 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

maybe an appointment at a well known optometrist might be a consideration? Just a thought.

Last time I went to one of those it cost me an arm and a leg. I think they saw me coming (groan 🙄) so now I stick to my "low spec" two for a tenner jobbies.