Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

You forget I’ve been watching Line of Duty, it all tied up nicely, I was try not to give the game away, ok there was only 3 🤣

6 minutes ago, jonbem said:

not 4th H, but THIS ONE

The very same. Well done.

"

On 12 March, 1918 the Brigade took over positions at Brombeck, and on 20 March, sustained heavy gas shelling and high velocity shelling at the Tourelle Crossroads nearby.  On 30 March, they were relieved by Belgian Artillery, and on 2 April the Battery marched to the Ploegsteert area to relieve Australian Artillery.  This was to be the scene of the final act of Hodgson’s valiant life.

The Battery took a position at Le Touquet Berthe.  The Front was quite silent for a time—and for the first time there were no casualties in action.  On 9 March the Germans attacked south of the Armentieres and penetrated allied lines for some distance and forced the British to move further north from Steenbeke.  On the dawn of the following day, the Battery had undergone heavy night shelling and all communications were cut.  The Germans advanced and the front section of the Battery had to retreat, leaving behind their guns, which they blew up.  The Germans circled behind Hope’s Battery and approached to within 200 yards forcing the whole detachment to fall back.

On the day of 10 April 1918, the Germans launched a big attack, and apparently this put Hodgson in hospital briefly.  On the night of 16 April the Battery withdrew, and a Forward Observation Post was set up.  The man who volunteered for the Forward Observing Office the next day—17 April—on Mont Kemmel, was none other than W. Hope Hodgson.  The details surrounding the tragic death of Hope can now be clarified after nearly 55 years—and in clarifying them some errors regarding his death have been corrected.  His Commanding Officer filled in the details—on Thursday, 18 April, he sent Hodgson with another N.C.O. on Forward Observation.  On 19 April, Hope was heard from once and then there was silence from him for the remainder of the day.  That day, 19 April, William Hope Hodgson was reported missing in action to his C.O.  The following day, under continuous fire, the C.O. went to check himself to determine the fate of his F.O.O.’s.  He eventually found a French officer who showed him a helmet with the name Lt. W. Hope Hodgson on it—and reported that a British Artillery Officer and a Signaler had suffered a direct hit by a German artillery shell on 19 April and had both been blown nearly completely apart.  What little remained was buried on the spot—at the foot of the eastern slope of Mont Kemmel in Belgium.  During this period, the C.O. was under continuous fire, and upon his return to base, he confirmed the death of Lt. W. Hope Hodgson, and it was entered on 23 April."

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

You forget I’ve been watching Line of Duty, it all tied up nicely, I was try not to give the game away, ok there was only 3 🤣

Unless you count "Hope". 😁

I missed out on the last one... busy trying to figure out if and how Defence college is thinking of sending us to the Netherlands for a week while avoiding the quarantines. But somehow now I keep on picturing Pete serenading his sister with "Lady in Red"... 

OK... I'm out of here ... 

Who's this??? 

jw-serbian-uniform.jpg.e7b6fa7aaeb3dde8c31d9efb3f26607f.jpg

M.

10 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

But somehow now I keep on picturing Pete serenading his sister with "Lady in Red"... 

That is like crime in a multi-storey car park - wrong on so many levels. I can just about cope with the waffle baiting but that is cruel. And my sis was so looking forward to meeting you at the cancelled conference too, as it is she wouldn't wear red if you paid her......

I'm sure she'll forgive me for teasing you!

And I promise not to wear red either... well except my hair, but that's another thing... 

M.

By remarkable coincidence I've just told my responsible grown up about the latest Chris de Burgh outrage and she said it was wrong on so many levels too. But she will be happy to join in with the Pete baiting, she has lots of experience of doing that.

Marilyne's photo has an adrogynous androgenis androgynous quality which makes me think it might be a female who passed herself off as a soldier. Or vice versa of course....

Pete.

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

latest Chris de Burgh outrage

a female who passed herself off as a soldier.

1: no idea... I don't read the gossip columns

2: not really... 

M.

Hi M

I know this young lady, she is on my list, all I can say is don’t be fooled by the uniform😁

Edited by Knotty

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Hi M

I know this young lady, she is on my list, all I can say is don’t be fooled by the uniform😁

that's a clue!!!!

M.

…….. but I didn’t mention the country😁

No you did not... translation for the rest: this lady was of a certain nationality but served with the country the uniform of which she is wearing. 

is that proper english?? 

I'll see your answers later this afternoon, got classified lectures this morning, no computers or other electronic devices allowed. 

M.

My search terms are not producing a suitable outcome....yet.

I'm narrowing the search to one of these I hope

Women in World War I - Wikipedia

11 hours ago, neverforget said:

Leslie Joy Whitehead 

i would have got there eventually working through the list

The next one for deliberation

Pyotr Nikolayevich Nesterov.jpg

Hi jonbem

I will sit this one out, he is in my list of firsts, I’ll just say his war one was unexpected. The other non war one is unique as well.

Edited by Knotty

7 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi jonbem

I will sit this one out, he is in my list of firsts, I’ll just say his war one was unexpected. The other non war one is unique as well.

Another case of great minds etc etc! :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, neverforget said:

We had Milunka Savic earlier... 

But you're right with Leslie Joy Whitehead, Canadian but served with the Serbian army!! 

M.

4 hours ago, Marilyne said:

We had Milunka Savic earlier... 

But you're right with Leslie Joy Whitehead, Canadian but served with the Serbian army!! 

M.

With those chiselled cheek bones, full lips and wide set eyes with beautifully arched eyebrows, she would scrub up to be quite stunning with a bit of Lancôme.  She reminds me a little of Madonna in her younger days.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 06/05/2021 at 21:36, jonbem said:

i would have got there eventually working through the list

The next one for deliberation

Pyotr Nikolayevich Nesterov.jpg

No other takers yet?

He was a Russian.

Just back from a WE on the coast... but can't help much, my knowledge of the Russian front is close to zero... 

M.

Hi Jon

I will help you out, his non war unique claim is that , (as far as I know) he has an asteroid named after him.

Edited by Knotty

Aleksey Maresyev??, 

flying ace despite being a double amputee??? 

Uniform looked more "air" than "land" to me, so I googled "russian flying ace with asteroid named after him" ... and it showed this... 

Also to note that asteroid 3321 is named after Crimean War Nurse Dasha of Sebastopol... 

M.

No not him.

You might have to loop through some other names!