The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

correct !

who's this then ?

Grandfather of Eddy Merckx!

Grandfather of Eddy Merckx!

Who cheated by putting a motor on his bike. Shabby. Very shabby.

correct !

who's this then ?

Jan Olieslagers?

David

Perfect !

well known motorcycle driver and airplane pioneer (in 1904 he won the motor rally Paris Bordeaux Paris altough he got fined by French police for not having a drivers licence :whistle: )

At the start of the war he joined the Belgian army with his brothers and brought his own planes (3 Beriot planes), mechanics and equipment.

He apparently did not like paperwork and so is only credited with only six confirmed victories (never filled in paperwork if the German came down behind German lines !)

not bad for someone who lost his father age 11 and started work cleaning docks in the port of Antwerp

Carl

My last attempted sub-thread did not prove a crowd pleaser, so how about following Carl's last offering - 'Aces from around the world'. So who's this chap:

post-66715-0-22586200-1406130501_thumb.j

David

PS Just passed 100 pages and 250 posts on WIT 1. The Lord Protector is still justifying his title with 63 posts and 42 solutions. I have also just come across his first "Heh, heh, heh" which was surprisingly late at post 2214. In what quickly became a tradition Siege Gunner snaffled it in short order (Van Heydebreck). I have also recently catalogued Fattyowls greatest triumph to date. Pete's identification of the Japanese representative at the Versailles Peace Conference leading skipman to burst into Japanese and Mr Drill to threaten burning at the stake. More worryingly I have just come across the moment when I declared an apparent obsession with Balkan men with moustaches.

Is that Trafford Leigh-Mallory?

Pete

PS. I'm still traumatised by the threat of immolation; I've not been able to barbecue since.

PPS. We all need to get out more; and now you have the statistics to prove it.

leading skipman to burst into Japanese and Mr Drill to threaten burning at the stake. More worryingly I have just come across the moment when I declared an apparent obsession with Balkan men with moustaches.

. . . . and Mr Curragh told us we went off-topic ! Tcha !

I think I found another good one. At some point, maybe I will actually identify somebody and have a chance to submit my latest meatball to the WITteam!

-Daniel

PPS. We all need to get out more; and now you have the statistics to prove it.

:lol::lol:

David

PS It isn't Leigh-Mallory

PPS I note the Lord Protector is about to be promoted to Major General. Surely that's a demotion for him :hypocrite: (and not one of his better decisions in 1655)

I had rather have a plain, russet-coated Captain, that knows what he fights for, and loves what he knows, than that you call a Gentleman and is nothing else.

Is it NZ Ace Sir Keith Park?

Right country wrong ace UG

David

Keith Caldwell

Well done UG. Caldwell flew with Mick Mannock of whom he was a great admirer as a pilot. However he took exception to Mannock's practice of strafing aircraft he had shot down in the hope of finishing off the pilots. Mannock's terse response to the criticism was the grim comment "no prisoners for me."

I don't think we've had this chap (at least I know we haven't had him in the first 100 pages) which is quite surprising. Who is he?

post-66715-0-52885400-1406140714_thumb.j

David

Well done UG. Caldwell flew with Mick Mannock of whom he was a great admirer as a pilot. However he took exception to Mannock's practice of strafing aircraft he had shot down in the hope of finishing off the pilots. Mannock's terse response to the criticism was the grim comment "no prisoners for me."

I don't think we've had this chap (at least I know we haven't had him in the first 100 pages) which is quite surprising. Who is he?

attachicon.gifdri 238.jpg

David

Godwin Brumowski

Godwin Brumowski

Daniel

He shoots, he scores!!

Bring on your latest meatball/Library of Congress star

David

. More worryingly I have just come across the moment when I declared an apparent obsession with Balkan men with moustaches.

Although we are a completely non-judgmental society here, I would worry were yo to have an obsession with Balkan men without moustaches

This chap had an amazing career. Who is he ? ? ?

There are not many who served during the Boxer Rebellion, and WW2.