Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

On 23/02/2019 at 10:27, Uncle George said:

By the look on Ll.G’s face, Effy is not alone.

And  Milner appears to be leaning forward to tell Grey that LG's hands are wandering again!

Here’s an interesting chap. “Perhaps the most curious streak in his character was his romantic passion for legitimacy and the Jacobite movement ... I remember the horror on his face when, pointing to a French terracotta bust of James Stuart, I asked him if it was the Old Pretender. ‘My dear friend,’ he exclaimed, ‘I never expected you to say that. The bust is of James III.’ “

Who is he ? ? ?

05B2954D-D555-49AE-9066-280C072587D7.jpeg

EDIT: Image from Pinterest.

Edited by Uncle George

One of the Saxe-Coburgs?

3 minutes ago, seaJane said:

One of the Saxe-Coburgs?

No. He was a Royal, but not a Saxe-Coburg. Different continent.

7 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Different continent

Not Australia or Antarctica, then, royalty-wise.

Doesn't leave much.

Asia?

Prince Henry, later Duke of Gloucester, third son of George V? The uniform is presumably that of 10th Royal Hussars. He was later Governor-General of Australia (not Asia), and I am surprised by the Jacobite references.

Ron

58 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Prince Henry, later Duke of Gloucester, third son of George V? The uniform is presumably that of 10th Royal Hussars. He was later Governor-General of Australia (not Asia), and I am surprised by the Jacobite references.

Ron

No, not Prince Henry. My chap has been described as “one of the minor heroes of the war”. He served in the First war with the Norfolk Yeomanry. He first volunteered for the Yeomanry many years before the war; an odd choice, as he was believed to have “detested” horsemanship.

Googling Royalty and Eton gives me a choice of two brothers whose sister made an appearance on the thread not so long ago ...

6 hours ago, seaJane said:

Googling Royalty and Eton gives me a choice of two brothers whose sister made an appearance on the thread not so long ago ...

If you are correct, then it is as you say sJ, a choice of two brothers. Being a gentleman of the old school, I feel obliged to say, "Ladies first"....

Victor Duleep Singh ... ?

Tricky one this. The two candidates have very similar names:

Prince Victor Albert Jay Duleep Singh, and Prince Frederick Victor Duleep Singh.

Having googled pictures of both of them, I would say the latter, though I think it could go either way. 

7 hours ago, seaJane said:

24 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Tricky one this. The two candidates have very similar names:

Prince Victor Albert Jay Duleep Singh, and Prince Frederick Victor Duleep Singh.

Having googled pictures of both of them, I would say the latter, though I think it could go either way. 

I don’t think Victor served in the war. Anyway, my chap is His Royal Highness Prince Frederick Victor Duleep Singh of Punjab, late of the Suffolk Yeomanry and of the Norfolk Yeomanry, the son of the last Maharajah of the Sikh Empire. He would appear to have been something of a Renaissance man. And he is reported to have hung a portrait of Oliver Cromwell upside down in his toilet. What a witty man he must have been.

The attached is from Samuel Hoare’s ‘The Fourth Seal’ (1930).

523DD4B1-96FB-4AE8-95E6-370D082EB238.jpeg

6D7FF7A0-7E2B-47E7-99EE-1B0021276BE2.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George

The more I hear about that family the more I hope someone has written a good book about them!

All credit goes to seaJane. I wouldn't have twigged it in a million years without her sussing which family it was.

4 minutes ago, neverforget said:

All credit goes to seaJane. I wouldn't have twigged it in a million years without her sussing which family it was.

Most kind :)

6 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Most kind :)

Not at all, just being fair. I honestly hadn't a clue. Well played!

Another Great War "biggie" that seems to have thus far been overlooked. 

Rated by some historians as the best ever staff officer, and used as an example of excellence by his foes in later years.

20190304_114411.png.f7c858213073995cd95b1e44958cee7e.png

Colonel Max Hoffmann, chief of staff of the German Eighth Army in East Prussia in 1914. He was widely credited with masterminding the victory of Tannenberg, and spent the rest of the war in senior staff positions on the Eastern Front.

Ron

5 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Colonel Max Hoffmann, chief of staff of the German Eighth Army in East Prussia in 1914. He was widely credited with masterminding the victory of Tannenberg, and spent the rest of the war in senior staff positions on the Eastern Front.

Ron

Got him in one Ron.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Hoffmann

This chap's famous grandfather lost two grandsons in the conflict, this being one of them.

20190304_170432.png.30f91c04890cdaff3ba028d2fc97de5d.png

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

This chap's famous grandfather lost two grandsons in the conflict, this being one of them.

Is the grandad Garibaldi? And is this Guiseppe  Garibaldi?

9 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is the grandad Garibaldi? And is this Guiseppe  Garibaldi?

I'm afraid this doesn't take the biscuit on this occasion mon uncle.

My chap was R.W.F. He was famous in his own right for a notable event. If another incorrect attempt is forthcoming I will reveal the regiment of the other grandson.

Is this Will Gladstone, grandson of the Victorian prime minister and last man whose body was officially repatriated? RWF fits at least.

Pete.

11 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I'm afraid this doesn't take the biscuit on this occasion mon uncle.

“You’ve got your Garibaldis, you’ve got your Bourbons, then of course you’ve got your Peak Freans Trotsky Assortment.”