Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Who is this “Major General” with a meteoric rise up the ranks?

Clue he is not what he appears.

FFF5772A-814D-44E2-9163-711E86FFE505.jpeg

Italian?

For seaJane - No not Italian, although his name sounds as though he should be.

MrV you have him, wasn’t as difficult as I thought it should be. Major General Geoerges Broulard. Plenty of clues to come like 701st Infantry Regiment etc.

Menjou served during WW1 and had a rapid rise in the ranks of the US army from a corporal in July 1917 to 1st Lieutenant by Oct 1917 and Captain by June 1918

https://www.familyphile.com/celebrity-veterans/2018/9/1/adolphe-menjou-us-army-1917-1919

Edited by Knotty

I think that he is a french an American actor who portrays a rather nasty French general in "Paths of Glory".

Edit: He is Adolphe Menjou, who served as a captain with the medical services in France.

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

That’s him Ron, pipped by MrV, although he played a fictional General, he was a serving officer with the US army. See link above in post#11153

Apologies my replies slightly out of order as they fell onto a new page whilst typing and I got out of sync.

Edited by Knotty

Curses! I fell into my usual trap of forgetting that the last post you see is at the bottom of a page, and not necessarily the most recent one on the thread.

Ron

Call it a draw Ron, and have ago with this chap.

Distinguished service in WW1 saw him earn a MC, but his greatness came in the next conflict.

BACC004A-21ED-47A0-AE17-7AA8FDC7AF77.jpeg

Edited by Knotty

Sorry delay in reply,out this evening.

Not Martel MrV, he was a sapper to start with I believe.

This chap ended up in the MGC, he started with a commision in the Ox & Bucks LI.

Sir Bernard Paget? Became a General in WW2.

Ron

Not Bernard Paget, but his christian name was also Bernard (I will say that is another great clue to follow)

13 hours ago, Knotty said:

Sorry delay in reply,out this evening.

Not Martel MrV, he was a sapper to start with I believe.

This chap ended up in the MGC, he started with a commision in the Ox & Bucks LI.

Beg pardon Knotty-  I thought Martel may have been in MGC as he was in charge of the direction of the heavy machine guns corps section that evolved into the Tankies. Or thats what Oxford DNB says.

Bernard Manning?   No,no-not really a festive jibe  :wub:

GUEST's avatar is also a good clue.

Ron

Just typed Bernard V Ww1 into google expecting to be in for a long trawl through soldiers with V as the initial for their surname, and what should pop up but this photo and article about Bernard Green. 

Uncanny.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2839050/Incredible-tale-British-soldier-survived-WWI-signed-aged-52-fight-Nazis-air-gunner-shot-emerged-unscathed-reprisals-aftermath-Great-Escape.html

Got him, quite a remarkable story.

Hence my reference to “great” a couple of times. That’s the article I found when looking for another WIT much earlier, kept the link to use.

Another of mine that stayed on for 24 hours.😁

Keeps me off that golden rock and role thread😃😃,and should advance me towards my next promotion.....hopefully without attracting the wrath of a member o the Forum from a few days ago👍

29 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

A Christmas theme now - what is the name of this old chap ? ? ?

image.jpg

Ah! A nice easy one to mark your most welcome return. The man standing on the bow is Chief petty officer Smith.

Next! 

41 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Ah! A nice easy one to mark your most welcome return. The man standing on the bow is Chief petty officer Smith.

Next! 

Chief "Smitty" Smith did indeed have a distinguished career. But I'm after the name of the vessel - a most welcome Father Christmas for old Demport.

3 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Chief "Smitty" Smith did indeed have a distinguished career. But I'm after the name of the vessel - a most welcome Father Christmas for old Demport.

HMS Reindeer?

Hi UG

Long time no speak, trust your well?

Very apt for the time of the year the 1914 Santa Claus ship.....no sign of any Argos!

30 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi UG

Long time no speak, trust your well?

Very apt for the time of the year the 1914 Santa Claus ship.....no sign of any Argos!

Very well thank you John. And yes, the Santa Claus ship, USS 'Jason'. 

"'Santa Claus’ ship USS Jason docked at Devonport just over a century ago to deliver presents to children whose fathers had been either killed or wounded in the First World War."

Story and image from here:

https://www.themilitarytimes.co.uk/history/christmas-1914-santa-claus-ship-arrives-in-britain/

Who is this film producer, winner of a gallantry award in WW1, and who later got heavily involved in "politics"???

20181214_141028.png.8aa62d2e9d6972fb8894aad6501bf3b0.png