Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Igloos - barking up the wrong pole :)

Yes :) - should be possible to work out the name.

Nope, sorry. He came home and was looked after on Whale Island during the war.

Hi seaJane

At last I have found the names and a list of 33 sled dogs and a collie, any more clues as Whale Island is not included ?

Edited by Knotty

:) do you have their Russian names too? In that case if you nose around for long enough all should become clear.

I think it maybe ....

Mamuke Rabchick or Long Nose, sponsored by the Modern School Southport,who called him Vic.

Like the clues👍

You think correctly! Well done.

Took me a while to get there, have you link to any more information, I’m quite intrigued as to how he returned when we know the fate of some of the expedition.

Thanks

John

I'd be keen to read more too, I'm struggling to find any references and it's very intriguing.

Pete.

Hi Pete

Did you find this info on the expedition, it’s where I got the dogs names from. In fact there are list of all animals and sponsors of sledges and sleeping bags.

https://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica fact file/History/Scotts_Last_Expedition/scotts_last_expedition_appendix.php

John, that's excellent, thanks. I'd found absolutely nothing relevant, but I seem to have particularly fat fingers where search engines are concerned at the moment.

Pete.

Evening gentlemen, I'm afraid this is all I know. But I will ask a friend!

Whale Island/HMS EXCELLENT kept quite a few of the animals donated to HM Ships, through the years - bits of it must have resembled a zoo...

IMG_20181126_231930.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pray pardon the absence-  dodgy wi-fi, so participating is awkward.   But how about this chap,whom I just tripped over on another matter unrelated to the Great War.  I suppose  you  will want clues as well-    OK-    1) Holder of the MC, won on the Western Front.   2)  Before the war, closely involved with a Derringer.   3) Fond of sailors

image.png.9eca48062ab5fb029ea796b197a111b2.png

Ok  MrV

Photographed is one Alfred Basil Lubbock, (1876-1944) a historian and novelist, noted for his works on sailing ships and the lives of sailors, in particular books on the actual voyages of Clipper ships, one of his works was writing up the Log of the Cutty Sark.

Despite his passion for the sea, he served in the Boer War, and in the Great War he started his military career as artillery officer in India before transferring to the Western Front where as a captain, he gained his MC. After the war he went back to his love of writing about the Clippers, and general involvement in the yachting fraternity.

The reference to Derringer is not related to the pistol of the same name, it refers to a character he called Jack Derringer in one of his sea stories, A Tale of Deep Water.

Below link to his story:-

http://navalmarinearchive.com/research/lubbock_biography.html

Edited by Knotty

Well done, Knotty. The sneakiness of the Derringer reference didn't fool you. Lubbock was also Mentioned in Despatches in the Boer War as well.  Bought 2 of his books yesterday for another prupose- intrigued when his Great War, MC connection turned up.

I spent a good hour looking around small arms/pistols and a naval linkage, I came across the reference to Jack Derringer, which then went off to the archive and came back with a copy of the cover and it had the authors name Lubbock, using Mr Google it came up with the details and the link.

Well, let's keep trying.   And this chap?    Sometime Civil Servant at the Admiralty.  There is an obscure link to Frankie Howard.   And to picnic eggs........

image.png.71856ff53ced5720d626a95706f44d9e.png

Hmmm....

Food for thought, not Scotch eggs then?

27 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Hmmm....

Food for thought, not Scotch eggs then?

Not Scotch Eggs as such, although  a Scotch Egg does  qualify.  Get the egg connection and the rest is easy-even the Frankie Howard connection.

Our man is best known for his work on one particular flower.

I actually know who he is for once, it's the clues I'm loving M. V. Trying to work back the other way is as much of a challenge. I'll feel a prize chump I am sure when all is revealed......

Pete.